Wiped Film Manufacturers

This is list is under construction and being updated as frequently as possible. If you are a wiped film evaporator manufacturer, and would like your equipment listed here, please reach out to me directly. Thank you everyone who has contributed to this list. As of Q1/2021, These are the manufacturers of WFE systems currently on the market and used in our industry. Please feel free to contribute any of your experiences with these machines. The list is in no particular order. I have only written a rundown of units I have operated / seen being operated. Please do chime in if you have used any of the systems not listed / spec’d here.

1 - CTS / Chemtech / Helderpad (Chemtech Services / UIC and Helderpad, LLC)
2 - Root Sciences VTA / (Verfahrenstechnische Anlagen GmbH & Co. KG)
3 - UCI / (Currently sold by Precision)
4 - Pfaudler
5 - Asahi / AGI (All Glass Innovations) (Currently sold by Cascade)
6 - Aptia Engineering
7 - High Velocity Evaporators (Currently sold by Lab Society)
8 - Prescott
9 - Pope Scientific (Pope Scientific Inc)
10 - YHCHEM ( need info here ! )
11 - TOPTION ( need info here ! )

• Helderpad / CTS (Chemtech Services, Inc.) offer a variety of stills in both glass and stainless that are manufactured here in the USA. They are installed and have their training done by PIVT (@pivt_ca) - an equipment and consumables company that offers onsite consultation as well. Below are the current models CTS offers. For a price, they can customize these to run staged or isolated batches, or basically anything customers need. I have worked with Chemtech and their only certified field tech - and can verify that their customer service, installation, training, and quality are unmatched.

“KD” = stainless
“KDT” = glass

KD - 6 (.06m2 evaporative surface)
KD 10 (.1m2 evaporative surface)
KD 30 (.3m2 evaporative surface)
KD 75 (.75m2 evaporative surface)
KD 150 (1.5m2 evaporative surface)
KD 300 (3m2 evaporative surface)

CTS machines are engineered almost entirely using swagelok for either tube-in-tube or traditional transfer/return of thermal fluid. This ensures for a fully jacketed oleoresin path with no clogging. The still itself is meticulously welded and machined; proudly made in the USA. They are equipped with Witte gear pumps to move fluid. Vacuum is handled by Leybold vacuum pumps (TM and Roots) and Julabo heat transfer units. Some machines are shipped with Mokon HTF for heat transfer. The modularity of the stills that CTS offers is the real value point. For example you can have a two-stage KD 30 built with two full evaporative bodies, so you can either have two stage wiping, or with the option to run two batches at once. CTS stills utilize both wipers and rollers depending on the build. Three-stage machines are configured with the first evaporator having no coldfinger / condenser - as it’s primary function is to terp-strip. Cold trap options for CTS are: dry ice, chiller, or regulated LN2.

• VTA’s build quality and design is exceptional. Their turnkey wiped film evaporator units are 170k on up. The unit is manufactured in Germany and has excellent US customer support. The units are installed by a team of installers who are well known in the cannabis community, which was an excellent choice for VTA. Unlike any other of the companies I’ll list - VTA actually has working factual data based off cannabis oleoresin itself. Currently VTA is sold in the US under the Root Sciences brand. The VTA has a fully jacketed oleoresin path and the most advanced WF cold trap on the market. (As far as cold traps go, BRinstruments takes that award IMHO). For distillate and waste: The system uses either standard, under vacuum flasks; or jacketed spouts. This system relies heavily on the most advanced of liquid pumps to move the warm oleoresin, which is probably why it is open-ended. These particular pumps at waste and distillate end - are called discharge pumps. VTA offers their systems in glass which is created in-house; and stainless. They also offer the capability to connect multiple machines for daisy-chain style, mutistage processing. Their heat transfer choice was Julabo and as of now Huber.

• Pope offers competitively priced stills; Pope from 2" - 4" - 6 “. These are offered with a variety of options and can be built to order. Heat bands, oil jacket, your choice. Their stills are made here in the US. Pope offers their evaporators in either glass or stainless versions, as well as multistage. The Pope offers entry level WFE packages and have a lot of cannabis industry exposure. While the 2” Pope is still the little guy on the block; I’ve had them outputting 2kg a day of D9 with ease. The only downside to Pope is that their glass is ridiculously expensive.

• Asahi is a Japanese glass plant; which produces very high end, fully jacketed glass WFE stills and reactors - distributed by AGI. Cascade now sells them as sadly Asahi is not into the cannabis industry. https://cascadesciences.com/shop/distillation-evaporation/pure-path-100-distillation-system-kit-a-mechanically-refrigerated-cold-traps/ Nonetheless, this is a finely crafted glass evaporator with a much needed Cascade touch.

-Prescott

(Thank you to @MasterOGWan for sharing this info.)

We offer a patent pending hybrid glass/steel system manufactured by our OEM partner in Germany. Our flagship model is our P1000 which we are very proud of.
We utilize an Edwards nXDS15i dry scroll pump for our rough vac, and Agilent AX-65 for our diffusion pump. We are able to bottom out our Pirani sensor at 1x10 -5 within a matter of 7 minutes from activating diffusion. Currently, we are in the process of upgrading our sensors to a model that can read down to -8.

We use a “passive trap” followed by an enlarged 1 meter cold trap chilled by a Julabo immersion cooler to properly catch volatiles that would otherwise get into your pump and challenge vacuum. Each trap has a 500ml collection flask underneath.
Our unit is designed for continuous operation. We use gear pumps to move oil in and out of the system without breaking vacuum. Our feed column and evaporator and both jacketed, and we use PTFE rollers on our wiper basket instead of traditional wipers.

Since releasing our Gen2 models, we now include two vacuum sensors and a vacuum controller located on the control cabinet. The controls on the cabinet have been simplified for ease of operation and we now have a safety circuit that ensures the diffusion pump cannot be turned on or off at the wrong time (a mistake that could potentially damage the system or cause harm to operator).
All ancillary equipment on our machine is top in its class. We use Julabo circulators, a Heidolph overhead mixer, and Lenze motors for our gear pumps. We manufacture our own steel parts (including gear pumps), control cabinets and electronics, frames, as well as blow our own scientific glass in house at our production facility in Germany.
Currently, we offer our P1000, Dual Stage, and Multistage models. The multistage incorporates solvent recovery and decarboxylation, followed by two stages of distillation. More info can be found in the link above to the Prescott website, or reach out directly to @masterOGwan

15 Likes

what about there vacuum pumps? do they all have turbomolecular pumps or do some just have diffusion pumps?

1 Like

Good question. Each manufacturer offers a vacuum solution; most are with Edwards or Agilent. VTA utilizes Leybold vacuum pumps for roughing, and diffusion pumps for backing. They are currently testing with TM as well. Most of the Helderpad systems come with a diffusion or TM pump, and Popes can be configured to have them as well. I prefer an Edwards 28/30 or Dry Scroll pump if carefully matched with WF systems. Cacejen is also a viable route for both wet and dry pumps.

1 Like

The AGI wfe is made in Japan and Switzerland. They have several models. I’ll post some info from their data sheet. Great post idea!

6 Likes

Thanks brotha!

1 Like

I have worked with Asahi’s since 2015 and can testify to their glass quality and mechanical design of the wiper assembly(swiss) With the right setup, you can run circles around a VTA. Heaters, vac system and dosing control are important for max thruput.

1. They have unique ability to make evap body in one piece, (VTA, Helderpad, Pope all do not make their own glass)
  2. you can get double the evaporative surface area in DN100 than VTA for near same cost (or less depending on setup)
  3. Can provide gear pumps for dosing/discharge
  4. Low profile magcoupled wiper basket has 2 feed thru ports for temp/vac measurement directly inside evap body
10 Likes

Excellent thread! Thanks to Future for taking the time to put together this wonderful forum and thanks for the idea OP!

It’s cool that we are finally at a time where we can brainstorm and compare systems like this widely available for cannabis. Just over a year ago this information was “secret” and I was told to “die a rat’s death” for revealing the “secret” of a Youtube video of a Root Sciences VTA to a new company I had joined and convincing them to purchase one. Sweet memories.

Anyhow, I would love to hear reviews of the Asahi glass. I’ve had it on my radar for a while and it seems like a great little system to do both R&D and production with, -if you have experience. Any info on the entry level price for just the glass setup on an Asahi wiped film short path vs complete with chillers/heaters?

Side question: Degassing space, does it matter? The VTA has a “degassing arm” that is maybe 35mL of space before the liquid drops into the evaporator, the small chemtech I saw doesn’t have this, I was wondering how much it would matter? Other systems have this as part of the feed? It would be better to have the whole feed tank degas, but obviously there are practical considerations.

5 Likes

I’m very interested in hearing opinions on the root sciences vs the pope. Those would be my top 2 choices. Anyone with experience on the versatility of products you can produce, as well as ease of use, and cleaning for these 2 machines would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Get in touch with @seabeeoil on instagram - he’ll steer you in the right direction. If you don’t use instagram feel free to private message me for his direct contact. (I haven’t asked if he’d like it posted in here.)

2 Likes

I asked around for some info about Asahi a while back and the consensus I got was that they had decent equipment. However I have not heard good things about Genius, one of their distributors. My personal interaction with them at an expo about a year ago was not so favorable either. Personal bias aside I’m still interested in how the equipment performs.

4 Likes

Word on the street is AGI doesn’t like working with Genius and will be switching distributors in our industry… @Sidco_Cat

3 Likes

Asahi brought a demo unit to Cannacon to display in our booth. The response was very good. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were taking pre-orders in May for release in June. For now, there are a lot of unknowns. I imagine that a company like Cascade will want premium ancillaries like Heidolph Sitrrers, Welch/Agilent pumps and European chillers. I also imagine that we will come in thousands less than the competition with units in stock and ready to ship.

Then again, I am a very imaginative person.

6 Likes

How do these four compare to the no-name systems one can find?

eg https://store.psico2extractors.com/product/molecular-distillation-equipment-100mm-system/ they report the glassware is Chinese. I’ve not seen one in person. seems like only a few $k less than a POPE based on the quotes I just got in the mail…

What about the Chinese system @EndlessOps is currently unboxing?

has anyone else picked up their WFE from Alibaba?

As far as “bang for you buck” goes, I did have the Chinese made chiller that came with my name brand hydrocarbon extractor catch fire while I was doing shake down & pressure testing prior to first use (they’ve since switched brands)…so I have hard data that getting what you pay for has real world consequences…

The system we got wasn’t one one you can just buy offline. I have a lot of custom things I’ve done to mine to make it better. Also on Alibaba.com u can find many manufactures of the wfe however they all all knockoffs like literally. While I was in Asia I visited everyone with my agent there and we came to the conclusion they Werner what we wanted. Thankfully my agent took me to several others and we found a company who has excerpt what we are all looking for. Things to think when buying for Asia that doesn’t include in the price tag
Import fees
Agent fees
Shipping fees
And delivery fees
I gotta say I’m super happy with the quality of the system I honesty think thisbshits all over the pope. The glass is thicker (we upgraded) I have a 10l feeding flask instead of the normal 2 or 3l. And it’s s true continues sysem. Pics and videos will be added very very soon. The pope runs 65kish I can have the 6inch 150mm same design I have dropped st your door step for 55k with in 4 weeks or less and have full warranty. Everyone complains about the turn around time with Asia but I have had no issue when using a agent there.

I have the KDL5-Mini from Chemtech. It works extremely well. Around 700g/hr. I have fed it with 1 year old 60-70% THC -20 wash ethanol oil with no post extraction winterization and have been getting 85-95% single pass. Only issue with running this non-winterized is the build-up of fat/wax material on the evaporator, which sometimes gets thrown off into the distillate receiver (looks like carbon). ChemTech is great to work with. Any monkey can run their machines.

2 Likes

I have been trying to get my hands on a mini to play with! I know a thing or two about wiped film, and wanted to see if I could get good results tuning up a small rig. Sounds like you nailed it! That’s your feed rate?

If you are only doing a single pass, I’m guessing you are removing all the lower boiling point volatiles in your decarb step? I have noticed the same thing with unwinterized material, you can still get high potency distillate, but it gums up evaporator walls. Cleans off with polar solvent better than non-polar.

1 Like

700g/hr is distillate amount, not feed. Most of the terpenes/ volatiles come off in decarb. I replaced the regular evaporator with a KDL-6 evaporator, it’s still glass but has jacketed residue and distillate collector. I also run a KDT-6 that works well. The stainless steel evaporator is better as far as heat transfer goes. But I love to see the wipe happening, and if there is an issue somehow and the wipers get jammed you aren’t going to do major damage by continuing to run.

3 Likes

Did I forget to mention I set two of these up along with the 300 liter co2 extraction
haven’t used it enough to get the full picture of it yet but I’ll let u know

3 Likes

Those look like they do the job. Waste side has an interesting design, so does the cold trap. Let us know how it works!

1 Like

What is this one?!? Just the Vacuum pump??