Rope on ya Pope: how you keeping your WFE warm?

looking for tips/tricks/gotcha’s on heat tape and/or heat bands for keeping a glass WFE at appropriate temps.

figured I’d start with some pictures.

Here’s a couple of rigs (paired popes!) that @drPaul shared with us over in Wiped Film Manufacturers

one with, and one without added heat tape.

then we’ve got @NicklePickle’s very smartly dressed turnkey:
6 inch Wipe Film Pope Full Turnkey

and @VincentBrick’s Pope Scientific 2" Wiped Film Molecular Still

so what’s up with the difference in wrap jobs?
there are a couple of silicone covered “mats” along with 2 or 3 different styles of “tape”.

a couple of the feed flasks are being heated using silicone “heat mats”, which are available in tape-like formats, that should not be used (as tape) in the manner shown in the pictures above…which is where I started, and the primary reason behind this thread.

eg: McMaster-Carr

Note: Do not cut, crease, or overlap these heaters—this will damage the heating element. Use a roller during installation to remove air pockets and ensure direct surface contact. Once heaters have been applied to a surface, they cannot be removed and reused.

they DON’T like hanging out in the breeze (not touching the surface) OR over-lapping, which is pretty hard to avoid when trying to wrap scientific glass.

So what other options are there?

Brisk heat offers multiple styles, with and without controlers.

which style is most appropriate?!?

this also seems like an important piece of the puzzle:

@Phytoalchemy’s tape job also deserves a shout out…

2 Likes

Heads you say?

…better get a rope…

1 Like

Never did a job like this BUT
Silicone mats work a whole lot better in my opinion with a variac takes some additional testing but overheating is almost impossible and control is great
I use 1 380/400V variac to controle 9 mats and have only 3C difrance in the lot when controlled pretty accurate steady heat

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCZMVCGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I’ve used one of these with a 24v meanwell power supply and a cheap stc-1000, only on the short path though

1 Like

looks like it might be easier to get the right wrap…

Watts (that) you say?

I can nay get the power…

2 Likes

I hate those fiberglass ropes with every fiber of my being. They constantly shed like a nervous Hungarian Vizsla

4 Likes

“Avoid non-encapsulated fiberglass insulation…”

Noted!

1 Like

Silicone tape heaters were a huge upgrade from the fiberglass ones. I think I’ve got one 6footer for the feed tube, and two down below, one running towards each output. One big silicone mat heater belted around the feed flask.

Under-lighting harvested from a vacuum oven door

Mood lighting aurora generator

Some drippy art I found next to a dumpster

4 Likes