Win a $5k BHOmeter from aBHOut it Industries. First you gotta read my ramblings though. Contest details somewhere in the post

So by now some of you may have seen my B(arn)HO lab post, where I referenced my new venture. Consider this your formal invitation to my debutante ball. Bharris is all grown up and aBHOut it Industries is born.

I was always a little hesitant to share too much on here given my medical condition…
According to my first mmj doctor from the back of high times, too much exposure to the light could result in long term confinement in a facility not really up to my standard of living. Spend too long in the shade, sunburns are a genuine concern, ya feel me?

Well. I’ve spent a long time now prepping for the increased UV exposure and I feel like my base tan is just about sufficient to handle some sunshine. So, I thought it most fitting to shout out the old days and welcome the new in the same post. Here it goes.

Long story short, we just launched aBHOut it Industries. Our first product line, the BHOmeter, is a cryo rated, c1d1/UL/FM certified flow meter designed specifically with hydrocarbon extractions in mind. Which is why we have the only -90C volumetric meter coming onto the market. I’m not an inventor nor mechanical engineer. In each of our upcoming product lines, I have both located and convinced(harder part) a company with extensive experience and quality manufacturing processes(read as: we don’t sell shit from China) in the given category, to partner with aBHOut it to release packaged products to this sector. Although subpar, there are other flow meters out there. There are nitrogen generation systems you can find online. We add value by way of having found the right manufacturers, and customized their offerings to meet our needs as an industry.

Brought to you by veteran extractors and designed for our specific use cases, our meters and other product offerings come with the back-end support I always wanted when dealing with industrial and lab equipment manufacturers. With whom I either couldn’t be honest, or who shunned me once they found out my use case (thinking of you, Polysci).

aBHOut it Industries goes way beyond helping you choose which sensor to buy and how to install it. We also help you design experiments to refine your processes, analyze the results of these experiments, and improve your run times, yield percentages and product consistency- virtually overnight. Possibly even throw in some crc tips while we’re at it.

We are working on integrations with lab software suites to automatically collate the data from our meter technology with all of your other important data points: METRC, pressure, temp, inventory/consumables, etc.

We have worked tirelessly to identify and source the ideal cryo valve and electronic actuator so that your desired solvent ratio is achieved every time. We’ve negotiated wholesale pricing and purchased in bulk to reduce retail costs to our customer base. In some cases, funded the r&d and recertification processes ourselves. End goal being a plug and play automation package for any existing system that means yourself, or your team, can spend their time doing something more productive than watching the scale and counting on your fingers.

Once and for all you can determine why a bad run was… bad. Whenever we had a bad run, we were left wondering if it was: Shit biomass mixed into good. Operator flooded for too long or not long enough. Low yielding material. Or channeling/bad crc ratio/blend. Eliminate variables by way of having actual data.

aBHOut it Industries is not here to compete with all of the established equipment suppliers or system manufacturers. We are here to bring a couple very specific products to market to fill the gaps that we, ourselves, identified and rectified out of necessity. The addition of a flow meter in our systems helped us to make more money without having to make more oil. Which is the key to survival in the current market. Once you’re producing at maximum efficiency(realizing the full yield with minimal byproducts and no extra solvent recovery time), scaling up is easy by upgrading components.

The name, aBHOut it… represents the fact that we really rocked out in this space from the beginning. From PVC(whoops) tubes and master cases to… the B(arn)HO lab in the other thread, but **we couldn’t really be “aBHOut it” without the blessing of this community and the support of those of you who pioneered the growth and progression of the industry across so many fronts. **

I liken us to one of those translucent deep ocean creatures rarely observed by humans, now washed up on the beach. Weird yet fascinating, terrifying yet beautiful, but after a little monitoring, the healthy skepticism fades and it’s discovered to be the embodiment of evolution/survival of the fittest. An entity who evolved to survive in the harshest conditions and adapted to outsmart countless natural predators. Champions of natural selection, inviting all of you to bear witness to our next evolutionary transformation.

And so it is. I beg you all to scoop us off the beach. Rinse off the sand, throw us in a tank for observation, and let us help the industry like the industry has helped us all these years.

[cue the bag pipes and 21 gun salute… while we slather on the sunscreen]

Thanks-
aBHOut it Industries.
www.aBHOutit.com

The. End.

14 Likes

CONTEST: You should probably get a prize just for having read through all this bs, but it’s not gonna work like that. I already know, and have written out below, the reason why you need a flow meter in the volatile extraction process.
Whoever presents the best reason/application to implement a flow meter in an extraction process outside of “to measure the volume of flood on injection” in a CLS, wins a free ~$5k package. Winner is based on some formula I haven’t developed yet, weighting likes, ingenuity, and logic. But flow rate/volume data is invaluable to all of the various extraction processes. Help me identify new ways to market this bitch.

9 Likes

“Why do I need a flowmeter?” you might’ve asked yourself… (and if you didn’t… I just asked for you) which is good… because if you’re reading this, Im telling you regardless.

A.) In a CLS, most people probably used a process similar to this:
1.) Run a single column and monitor their scale until the desired solvent to biomass ratio is reached.
2.) Check the time it took for that to happen, and the approximate nitro pressure utilized, to conclude that in their system, it takes “X” minutes to flood “Y” pounds of solvent @Z pressure.
3.) Open the hot water valve, kick the pump on, and begin recovery, while starting to flood the next column for another “X” minutes.
4.) When that column is finished, “X” minutes for the next column, and so on/so forth.
But this is an incredibly expensive miscalculation.

The time it took to flood that first column, most likely with the system under vac, really has no bearing/relevancy to the time it will require to flood additional columns. Here’s why:
1.) The first column’s worth of solvent will flood easily into the vacced down system.
2.) Each additional column adds “clutter” to the crc reducing flow rates
3.) Back pressure created from heating the honeypot reduces flow rates.
4.) At this point, depending on your layout, you’re possibly bleeding nitrogen at times to allow for recovery, and increasing it at times to allow for flood. Varying your flow rates.

4 Likes

They would be great for continuous systems, theres no realistic way to know how many lbs have gone into each column with a scale after the first one and impossible by #12.

8 Likes

I could see using 3 of these:
1- for transfer/ filling solvent tanks (verify suppliers weight)
2- monitoring proper filling of extraction equipment
3- monitoring recovery efficiency

10 Likes

all of those, AND so I can run the solvent over the biomass multiple times and know what I’m actually doing. along the lines of ... and the solvent in the tube goes round and round except in my Luna Oberon.

needs a pump and a flowmeter…

…and Luna said they’d spring for the pump.

11 Likes

In life one must read to succeed

3 Likes

I like this. Fulfils the criteria. I wonder if there’s info out there as to at what point the b/p blend is saturated to capacity

4 Likes

That type of info doesn’t really exist publicly, but is not hideously difficult to generate

4 Likes

could it be done in mason jars?

1 Like

Clarify?

what is this rated for pressure wise, and how much flow does it need to work?

2 Likes

Good question. We have meters in varying port sizes ranging from 1/4" to 4".

Slowest flow meter ranges from .04-2.5 pounds per minute. (Assuming it’s butane)

Our larger units can handle rates along the lines of 17-170 gpm… or in pounds… 85-850. (Also assuming it’s butane)

Our weakest units can handle 1000psi. So functional in almost every application outside some supercritical stuff.

4 Likes

We have many units up to 2k psi in our mid sizes… (1/2" 3/4", etc)

1 Like

Sounds like a must have for hydrocarbon membrane systems!

1 Like

don’t folks around these parts routinely aim at that point?

…in their mason jars?

(not quite true. most are aiming at that point in butane. not 70/30)

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but notice the DMAIC reference even though you skipped measure and improve lol.

I think the most important benifit this flow meter adds is the ability to capture more valuable data. A scale can’t tell you how much solvent you added vs how much solution left biomass, how much solution went into a crc vs how much left without changing the entire system design. This has the potential to give you rough estimate of yield post biomass and again post crc. It also has potential to simplify the sop making it easier to train new employees.

How does this work would it identify gas vs liquid like when solvent or solution ended and nitrogen begin?

3 Likes

They are adding flow meters too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How does the flow meter work on ever changing blend ratios? For example someone that fills 70/30 is realistically probably running a 65/35-60/40 blend after part of that tank is depleted?

How are you compensating for this variable?

4 Likes

The flow meters on my ethanol skids will work with hydrocarbons, I believe they’re rated to 1000 psi + and they’re under 1k a piece

1 Like