Why do you need to Winterize?

I can’t find this info anywhere and I’m not that learned in the field to understand what I’m reading if it’s not aimed at a layman.

I had a fellow tell me Winterizing was a waste of time because you can just filter the solution through a 1 micron syringe filter because the fats waxes and lipids are larger than 1 micron.

Well my Winterizing process is for very small quantities so I already do filter through a 0.22u filter after freezing for 24 hours.

If what they’re saying is true then technically I could filter the ethanol warm and it will catch the impurities. I find it hard to believe. I tried it, and it cleaned up a high percentage but left a cloudy solution still. I re-froze to check and more stuff coagulated.

I would love to fore-go the freezing process. Does anyone have any tips on how to speed up production? It currently takes me 2 days to extract clean and load a cart.

That extra shit that coagulated when you froze it is exactly why you need to winterize.

11 Likes

your only solution would be to not extract the waxes in the first place. the question then becomes how are you extracting? if its with alcohol, you need to make your alcohol colder!

4 Likes

Ah - with my limited equipment and spacial capacity I find the open blast with ethanol winterizing to be the more domestically viable approach.

Having said that, I am looking for a very efficient purge of the impurities ie., fats lipids waxes etc… I fear that freezing the material would yield some impurities that will show up in the carts.

1 Like

Freezing the material while in an etOH solution then filtering down to 1 micron and completing solvent recovery will do nothing bad for your carts

Edit: what impurities are you worried about

4 Likes

You can open blqst and dewax, just put your tube in a small tote, cover with dry ice for 30 minutes to an hour, youll open blast way better quality

5 Likes

Well Fats, Lipids and Waxes lol. I feel they will still come through if I just do a cold extraction. I suppose I am looking for a way as effective as Freezing in Ethanol but with less time… I thought maybe a more refined method existed that would yield a result as good as winterizing.

If you want to get technical fats and lipids are generally 450 daltons to 600 dalton in Molecular Weight

That’s WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY smaller then 1 micron

6 Likes

You can winterize in methanol if you want to be speedy about it. @Kingofthekush420 you do this all the time don’t you?

2 Likes

Yes, methanol is toxic though

Methanol and water allow you to winterize at room temp, I just go into the freezer for 2 hours instead of using water though

3 Likes

I’ll google methanol winterizing as soon as I have a chance to sit at the PC unencumbered :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t find “why you need to winterize”?!?

TryLooking in you filters…If there is nothing there, your buddy was right. Otherwise, you can see for yourself why

You obviously have some idea HOW To winterize.

I would posit what you’re looking for are ways to avoid winterizing. Or ways to winterize at room temp.

No idea what you actually searched for, but highly recommend trying (just click!!) the following

http://future4200.com/search?q=winterization
http://future4200.com/search?q=Why+winterize
http://future4200.com/search?q=Room+temp+winterization

3 Likes

Great info and yes you’re correct. My wording of the question was poor. Not my best quality. I’ll look at those links.

That is a testable hypothesis:

Up your game and TEST it!!

Do you get anything on your filters?

Try extracting cold…get anything on your filters?

2 Likes

Don’t do that. Search here!!

(Which you can do with google if you insist… methanol winterization site:future4200.com - Google Search)

3 Likes

Just gonna leave this one here…Why winterize?

Etoh blast
Cryo buchner funnel (make the cake as follows- ((bottom to top)) celite 545, alumnium oxide 220 grit).

The AO will stop cryo cold etho waxes and your left with a great winterized etoh product.

3 Likes

I like the Aesthetic appeal when loaded into a Vape cart. Plus a product that is free of impurities with re-introduced terpenes will be viscous enough for straight loading. It makes for a potent cart. When I started making this stuff I was led astray by promises of perfect vape carts using this or that emulsifier. This way produces a much better result.

And since it’s for myself, why should I settle for less? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Heads up: sounds like you’ve got viscosity backwards…

Honey is viscous
Water is not.

(…and that was a clickable link…not a question)

5 Likes

yea but they coagulate into globs

2 Likes