Why do you need to Winterize?

What’s the final product? Are you distilling?What’s your extraction method?
In some cases you don’t need to winterize

1 Like

So I start with an Open Blast BHO using a Purified Butane. I purge it in warm water over time until the reactions seem to stop. I’ll dissolve that product in Ethanol and freeze for 24 hours. I then filter the solution through a 0.22u filter and begin to purge.

To purge, I use a heated plate in open air at 40c, with a silicon cup with the Ethanol solution inside. The cup is in a pot with some water covering it half way. It’s a slow purge but not as slow as just using room temp fan.

With my purge, which is crude and pretty unorthodox in todays climate of methodology; I notice decarboxylation occurring at some point. The temps are just too high but any lower will cause the product to thicken to an unworkable consistency. At some point I will reintroduce about 2 to 3% Botanical Terps (I am having lots of trouble finding Cannabis derived terps where I am).

The end product is very nice. But, even I will admit, it is not purged properly. No way to test it.

Nose burn was an indicator someone told me about but fresh rosin burns my nose too with the heavy thc content so… who knows.

I then load that product into a Vape Cart ie. a 510 threaded CCELL.

Yup lol you’re correct! I did have it backwards

The fuck you mean why need to winterize?!?!?

I worded the title so very poorly. I was really looking for a way to avoid Winterizing or Winterize very fast. I know WHY I Winterize. I love a purified product for one thing…

That’s how I got started 2 in 18 in dewaxing column with a filter on one end open blast pretty much just let everything freeze 2 hours on dry ice you got it wasn’t till later till I started building an extractor

Friend,I understand your thoughts, you can skip the winterize process, if you don’t have this process, the extraction will be very simple, but removing impurities is a waste of time for you, I suggest you take a pre-cooling solution

1 Like

You’ve been listening to wooks again haven’t you?

Was it the same well informed individual that told you

Ignore them. Or tell them flat out that they’re idiots and you’d prefer they kept their broscience to themselves :shushing_face:

Most rosin will have lower thc content than most EHO or BHO, because the fats and waxes come along for the ride with rosin (until you get more sophisticated with the pressing regimen).

If you want your extract purged, you either need vacuum or a large mirror.

If you pour your extract into a thin film (only surface tension to contain it) you can purge to shatter with just a fan.

4 Likes

You can change it…

2 Likes

Soooo…how much are you actually filtering out with your syringe filter?

Not wanting to inhale that which you are catching in there IS why you need to winterize.

Have you tried skipping that step?

I personally find winterized extracts are a smoother vape, and leave my lungs less upset with the fact I’m huffing my meds. Your mileage may vary, but I find winterizing is an appropriate response for quality personal meds.

3 Likes

And I did exactly that. I purged the bulk of the winterized solution down to a few mils above where I suspected the yield to be, then collection the solution and spread it drop by drop over a large non-stick surface area and allowed a small amount of heat on it and left it overnight with a fan.

I ended up getting a snappy material. It cracked in areas and was very glassy. Now I’m looking for a way to create a highly terpy oil for loading into vape carts.

I decarbed that shatter and it made the flavour taste a bit burnt. Maybe the temps were too high. It ruined the carts. The shatter itself dabbed really well. I pressed some Rosin of the same starting material and the winterized stuff hands down wins.

Over the last week I have tried Winterized shatter, Rosin and cold extracted BHO (poorly). I completely understand what you mean. I prefer the Winterized stuff hands down.

3 Likes

Leave your solution in a borosilicate beaker on dry ice. The fats and liquids will fall faster.

2 Likes

Went cold. Froze for a day and a half in a domestic freezer and extracted. I ended up with a crumble that tasted very nice. Clean and Terpy but still had a lot of impurities in there. I think the Winterizing in ethanol process to be efficient and I’ll just put up with the time.

1 Like

i had a question ,if I’m blasting with -65 ethanol am i still pulling fats, waxes, gums and lipids ? is there a temp that’s cold enough to pull zero or close enough to zero that I can go straight to short path after carbon filtering without having to winterize or degum ?

Anyone try a centrifuge for this? Might take less time and not need a freeze.

-65 Should be good. Make sure everything else is frozen as well (especially the packed tube) and make sure not to use a regular freezer or you’ll be adding moisture to your herb.

1 Like

My 2 cents is that you ought to spend more time working on an effective decarb; low and slow works to keep flavour high. If cart quality is your main goal, then just winterize and find a way to decarb better because no matter how low your wax/fat content…seems like you’re destined to ruin it with your decarb process.

what batch size do you work with and is it for personal or you doing it at slightly larger scale?

yes we do freeze our bio mass as well too -65 before blasting as well .we use a precision x40 .then it goes over too our lenticular with with Pall SUPRAdisc SUPRAcap modules with sietz AKS filter media ,which from reading the material sheet is just carbon filtration. Then over to the FFE ,then to the reactor to reclaim solvent and decarb after that, the short path for fractioning …the COA consistently hit around 80% which is garbage as far as I’m concerned.

a little background for clarification .we had someone for the last year running our short path distillation room that was extremely “green” at this .this company hired me because i have an extensive background with extraction in the legacy market (Canadian here) but have been exclusively over seeing the hydrocarbon side of things with great success .I have been telling them since i started 14 months ago that they are missing like 3 steps before they get to the short path stage and they are finally gonna listen .here’s some pics of what they are coming up with .the first pic I’m telling them is gums and that we should be removing

that first, then winterization which can be as much as a 3 step process itself before moving on to the short path .

Lipids* not liquids *