What qualities make RSO "good"

Did you come here from reddit?

9 Likes

Maybe a Rotovap is best.

Maybe a hot plate magnetic stirrer with a Water Aspirator or chemical grade diagram pump is best.

Hopefully a fan in an open container is the best because it is the simplest and lowest cost.

I think maybe hitting that search bar and delving I to the extraction rabbit hole may suit you best.

Yes, a roto would be more efficient at removing the etho from your mix. With a roto you can recapture your used solvents, so basically, you can reuse your solvents for more than just 1 extraction. So not only does your efficiency increase, you save money on solvents because you’re reusing them.
You can decarb in a roto, or on a hot plate. But you can’t decant your alcohol for recapture with a hot plate. (Well, technically you can decant the alcohol, but you can’t recapture it.)

3 Likes

loucher!

(yes, this is the low tech way to see if you got the goods)

3 Likes

rm temp…

of course your milage may vary…

because your target molecule is GREEN?!?

it doesn’t.

it actually means it’s less potent (more non-target…)

1 Like

actually, it will require more ethanol. because cannabinoids are less soluble in dilute ethanol (see: Louche…)…so to pull the same mass of cannabinoids into your (diluted because you added wet weed) ethanol, you will need more of it.

folks extracting with 151 wonder why it doesn’t work…because you need 3-5x as much.

edit: doesn’t address 140 proof, but does explore lower concentrations of etoh, and hints at other reasons doing long soaks in glass are probably counter productive.

https://scihubtw.tw/https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600630705

2 Likes

Good call. Wasn’t thinking about pulling all that water, as I am so used to extracting cold. I honestly don’t believe I have ever extracted anything (except my coffee and tea) above freezing.

That being said, if one keeps the temperature of extraction cold enough, one won’t pull the water or water solubles and no extra ethanol needed to compensate for underproofing. :man_shrugging:

A true natural decarb is going to take 4 months to decarb and will retain the native terpenes and other beneficial compounds. Then a natural evaporation and you’ve got the best RSO you could want. Natural decarb is my baby. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

2 Likes

How do you store it for those four months? My rso dries up and sticks to the pan after a few weeks.

It doesn’t work as RSO. It needs the alcohol. I store it as tincture before the final reduction to the oil. The alcohol properties allow the enzymal activity of natural decarb to continue at an accelerated rate. If you have the patience for the first batch then it’s all downhill for keeping a constant source, like a sea of green in a way.

I use it mainly for tincture. I discovered it because I was curious how long it would take to decarb as an alcohol tincture. No one knew back then. I had some spare flower, a VIP membership at the local lab and lots of time. So I made an inactive tincture, lab tested raw flower and raw tincture then had it tested every month until it was ready, whenever. I had already started testing raw bud at 6 month intervals and expected to need to do the same. Pleasant surprise after 4 months and such a delicious tincture. Wow! Tested a few other times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

6 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one stuck on a perceived negative connotation of the term thanks to words like “louse” and “leech”

1 Like

No rso is good. Most all rso isn’t suitable for human consumption and had alot of inactive compounds that aren’t the best for your gut.

2 Likes

@spdking

Joined the forums just to comment on this post.

What an uneducated assumption with little if any basis. By your parameters no cannabis in the world is fit for human consumption either.

There is potential for gastrointestinal issues with virtually any concentration of hundreds of compounds found in cannabis. That does not mean that their presence or (in cruder extractions) even their excess makes anything unfit for consumption. Get real.

11 Likes

Important Danger Danger !!!

Use cation wen use fresh frozen cannabis and extract using room tempter alcohol. The excess water and chlorophyl apers to create disinfection byproducts. The crude solution did sit for a month before it was evaporated. The cannabis was also vigorously agitated during extraction.

Do not repeat Danger!!!

The extraction was:
*4 LBs fresh frozen to.
(I counted 1 lb fresh frozen as 4, 1 gallon freezer bags lightly stuffed.)

• 1 gallon of room temp alcohol
  • 3 minuet soak
  • vigorously agitated and topped off with a few cups of fresh alcohol between each LB.
  • a second 3 minute wash was conducted with the same material and mixed with the first.

*the fresh frozen cannabis was smashed and vigorously agitated to during extraction to compensate for the alcohol cannabis of 4 lb to 1 gallon ratio.

The same proses was also conducted using dry cannabis. The two baches where mixed together for a blended product.

The alcohol was evaporated using a Rotavap.

The oil was never really decarboxylated.
I let it sit for a natural decarboxylation.

The finished product was not good and unsafe!!!

Apers to have way to much chlorophyl.
Apers to have created some form of toxin possible (disinfection byproduct) from excess water chlorophyl.
Room temp, alcohol and vigorous agitation not a good idea.

Do not repeat my mistake. Lots of wasted time money.

Did you use isopropyl instead of ethanol and clean something with bleach?

I have never had an issue with chlorophyl however there appears to be upward threshold on the amount you want in your medical cannabis Oil.

The oils that are to polished and devoid of all chlorophyl seem to be missing some medical value. Her in lies a delicate balance.

1 Like

No I used 190 organic grane alcohol from extractohol and

Ethanol 190 Proof (95%) Non-Denatured Alcohol, ACS/USP/FCC Grade, Kosher × 5. from Lab Alley

maybe only organic from here on out. I thought the FCC grade was required in California but wouldn’t use it agin. was wondering if it was the alcohol as well

I think the big issue is doing fresh frozen with warm etoh. Your going to be dealing with so much more chlorophyll than just running freshly cut, room temp biomass with room temp etoh. Too many broken cell walls in the frozen material leading to chlorophyll overload.

It would make more sense to do two separate runs, one on dried material, and on on fresh, but never frozen material. I would avoid running frozen at all unless you’re also running cold. Keep the two runs separate, and do some number crunching and real life testing on each. Then decide which works best for you, or formulate blends, maybe even try something else.

5 Likes

For the record, that sounds like an absolute nightmare!

Just dry before you extract… The etoh is going to pick up tons of water… Along with every other dissolvable molecule at those temps… Gonna be looking like hulk juice

2 Likes