Making higher quality crude

Damn really ? You can soak 4lb per gallon. I was under the impression saturation’s levels depends on % and for low grade material to do 2lb to 1 gal max. Top shelf material .5lb to 1 gal. 2nd washes necessary for you ? Room temp soaks is what I’m referring to.

Yes it definitely depends on material quality, I’m using lower quality biomass and read on post here somewhere that 4-6lb per gallon can be done on low quality biomass.

I’m not doing a second wash, just washing 1lb at a time into the same bucket and spin drying with panda and adding recovered alcohol back into bucket after each lb.

I yield about 2l crude from 65-70lbs low quality biomass after winterizing and decarbing, that 2l crude distills into roughly 1l first pass distillate.

1 Like

Hm interesting , yea I was doing about 3:1 originally but I felt like I was leaving behind a lot so I went the opposite spectrum and usually do anywhere from 1:1 to .5:1 if there’s a good amount of nug just to make sure I’m not needing to do 2nd washes. Ive heard room temp also picks up a lot of undesirables which takes up saturation’s amounts etc. Try re running your already washed stuff and see how much you still get. Would be interesting to know. Haven’t done tested results with numbers yet but just to be sure I’m not throwing away % I go overkill with the ratio.

I started with doing 1:1, then 2:1 and finnally 4:1 and didn’t see any decrease in yield on the same material.

However I’ve never tried washing the material a second time which might be worth doing a test with.

I figured my yield was in line since back before I got rid of my butane CLS I would yield 1.5oz crude per lb of similar material and the math seems about right for that (70lbs * 42g = 2,940g - 30% winteraztion loss = 2,058g crude)

2 Likes

Nice , hell yea. Makes sense. Shit I would love to be doing a 3:1 . I’m yet to refine/winterize the crude so its hard to tell exact calculations. For now just doing overkill to make sure I only need one wash and not leaving anything behind. Let me know the results if you do any second washes :+1:t2:

1 Like

Why not add dry ice to the EtoH in a stainless unit to get the EtoH down to cryo temps?

2 Likes

Yeah, so far I’ve only managed 30lbs per 5 gal. I do a second quick wash to get whatever is leftover though. I’m hoping to be able to do a true side by side room temp and cryo with 50lbs/5 gal soon. Alas it’s been real hard to find enough material to do so yet. Still working on it though. :rofl:

3 Likes

Did it remove all the undesirables…how did the distillate come out?? Tasteless??

I meant to update y’all in here earlier this week.

The slower decarbing process has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I have noticed there is much less soluble material (almost none) with this slower process and a stir bar. The aroma I found that the previous tech was pulling the small rotovap with a TON of alcohol left over causing that nasty fishy oil smell after it cooled down. Now that we have those parts on point more it’s really improved the overall appeal of the crude.

Now, I will be introducing the new extraction/agitation method soon to be faster, and more reliable. Our 3 wash, 30 min soak times are really interfering. And 12 gallons for a mere 3 lbs slows us down quite a bit.

Will keep you updated! Thanks again for all your help

2 Likes

How much crude per batch and for how long with this temp oven? Does the crude get to set temp? For how long? Seems a bit hot!
C or F?

yes 250 C is to hot try 140C for 2 hours or until all small decarb bubbles seize

2 Likes

Yeah, 150c is about the highest # I’ve seen, but thought he might have some tec where he ran for somewhere like 20 min in a 250c oven for 1 liter or something!

1 Like

might but I still wouldent recommend even under vac

2 Likes

I usually run about 8l in the oven but did have 1 time that it was still warm when I put it in & it boiled over and made a bitch of a mess when I only had it set to 100c!

1 Like

water was probably in there or a strain of biomass rich in a terp with a low bp

3 Likes

Good points!

1 Like

Yea F lol. Till the bubbles stop

Just saying thanks to all here.

Recently I have implemented a few changes and not only have our yields increased overall, but we have t5 to scrub and filter and have ZERO water soluble a passing thru anymore. The oil looks amazing, clear, and our potency results have increased from an avg of 64% from when I came on board to over 70% on each batch now. Over all terpene content is much higher now and there is no residual burnt smell!

Thanks GLG!

Post decarb before when I started here

Post decarb now

6 Likes

I have done a few winterizations on crude I’ve made and others have made that will leave some gooey stuff at the bottom of the buckets. I think G_Boe was just saying that doing a cryo extraction locks in the majority of all the fats and lipids which is correct. We have a cryo freezer that goes to -75C and it works like a charm to keep the solution extremely cold during extraction. At the moment we are experimenting on whether leaving the solution in overnight is producing more yield that if we just leave it for an hour.

@cyclopath Nothing beats drinking whiskey with a nice stogey in the principal’s office at the Anderson School.

1 Like