• 190 hexane denatured
  • 200 hexane denatured
  • Heptane
  • Hexane
  • Isopropyl
  • Other

0 voters

3 Likes

I have been using 190 etho because it feels safe. I am now looking at switching to hexane or hexane denatured etho. Still thinking about it. So I’m curious to what people use and why?

2 Likes

I think according to @Photon_noir any of the denatured alcohols should be a no-go as they form an azeotrope that takes the alcohol % down even further (88% or something?). It’s primarily an issue (I’d assume) with cold extraction over room temp. As the benefits of chilling the ethanol and decreasing it’s polarity are negated?

Could have misinterpreted that post completely tho.

4 Likes

200 proof food grade NON-denatured

Theres 2 options for etoh, NON-denatured and denatured.

5 Likes

If you dont understand enough about the chemical or proper procedure or handling equipment dont, get educated first for safety, skunkpharms had an excellent article about how when and to use non polar hex and it’s safe usage

4 Likes

What do you mean? I’ve talked to people who use hexane as their solvent for extraction and I’ve seen the lab results which show that it’s a great solvent to use. Could you please provide said article?

2 Likes

I’m curious if the hexane denatured ethanol creates azetropes that decrease yield over time like described with heptane denatured ethanol here?

2 Likes

where are butane and propane on this list??

23 Likes

I did fuck up on that. It won’t let me change the poll after the first five minutes, apparently.

I’ve used denatured 200 proof ethanol. on large scales.

my final yield quality was equivalent to non denatured.

it involved a Heavy filtration procedure

don’t recommend.

3 Likes

190 proof EToH. Selective solubility depending on temperature which allows for no winterizing.

4 Likes

I’m assuming you are referring to this article? It’s an old classic fo sho. Back in the days when naphta was all the rage before it got banned in California. Those were the days.

I will add that full face mask, chemical gloves, proper clothing and proper ventilation would be key if using hexane, but remember that in no way would I be subjected to continuous contact with hexane which is what most subjects that have had serious problems have been put through. The scariest thing with hexane is how volatile it can be at fairly low temps, which has been my main concern about switching over to it.

2 Likes

Well, 200 proof pretty much instantly turns into 190 proof once subjected to air, because alcohol can not naturally go above 190 proof unless you use additives which then require zero contact with air to stay 200 proof.

4 Likes

that volatility works in your favor as it is easier to condense. hexane works great in closed loop.

2 Likes

Yeah, if I’d had a closed loop system it would be a no brainer, as it stands right now that is not the case yet. Hopefully that will happen this year. The recovery time would be cut in half aswell.

I’m going with the assumption that it would and am considering straight hexane, if I were to make the switch.

1 Like

@Kingofthekush420 does room temp hexane extraction followed by room temp methanol winterization and gets some pretty nice results. I’m consider switching to hexane too as my room temp ethanol extract comes out pretty dark.

It also recovers in rotovap much faster as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs3VFeqHf-b/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zkvzeuw078l0

2 Likes

sure, this difference was it was $10 a gallon lol and we were using 100-200 gallons a day at that time. my only real point was it is safe to use with proper sop.

2 Likes

Wondering if anyone in here has looked into the denatured etoh, iso, bitrex stuff

3 Likes

Yeah, it was after talking to the king himself that I started this thread, tbh. :grin:

2 Likes