Trying to develop terpene infused CBD e-liquid (PG:VG base....)

Hi. First post on this site, nervous amongst this experienced community :slight_smile:

Have a CBD company, we currently buy in our CBD e-liquids, which I am trying to develop in house. I am having great difficulty developing a shelf stable terpene infused e-liquid, in a VG:PG base. We are looking to develop various concentrations 100mg (1%, I know this is very low, it’s an introductory CBD vape product), 300mg (3%) and 500mg (5%) initially to kick us off, using strain specific terp blends (shooting for between 5-10% terps depedning on taste).

I have tried CAT scientifics method for emulsifying BHO (in our case CBD isolate and terpenes in sealed container so as not to evaporate volatile terpenes) using an OMni GLH-850 homogenizer (but only using plastic disposable heads processing 20ml samples to try get proof of concept) which we loaned prior to purchasing PRO Scientifics homogenizer thinking homogenization woud be the key to unlocking hits riddle, unsuccessfully. I have ordered some triethyl citrate as next step, but thought I would put out to you wonderful people in the hope someone might be able to provide full proof method?

A lot more detail, but hoping this gives enough of an insight in to what we are looing to do to get method, and what we have done to date. I would really appreciate any help whatsoever.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Mart

Try the search bar there’s plenty on this topic. Mct oil will be able to dilute your isolate down a bit but distillate would probably be an easier start so you can use just terpenes.

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :wave:

You probably want to look into a different diluent or diluent formulation, @Schlegbean made a sound suggestion. I would suggest our Terpene Diluent or our Uber Thick Terpene Diluent, but I’m a little biased :wink:

CBD cart producers reach out to us almost on a daily biases to help them design and create their products. Feel free to do the same if you wish.

If you’re using solvents (terpenes and other diluents, I’m not referring to PG or VG) and making vape juice you described you shouldn’t need a homogenzier, but they don’t hurt that’s for sure.

If you want a sample of our Uber Thick and/or Terpene Diluent and our terp blends send me a DM :smiley:

You can read about the differences between our diluents and about some of our new products in this thread: NEW!! Floraplex Terpenes - Amped Up Blends - Free Samples for Future Customers

4 Likes

Hi. I’ve tried MCT. I wasn’t overly impressed with how inconsistent it was in terms of some draws were pretty much a mouthful of coconut oil, especially the longer it’s left in the bottle.

I have searched through the site, but haven’t as yet come across an exact method for what I am looking for.

Hi Floraplex

Very specifically I was looking for method for emulsifying terpenes in PG:VG mix.

I am aware of your dilutents, and others, great as they may be (although vastly over priced in my opinion, sorry don’t mean to cause offense just stating a fact) but was looking very specifically for VG:PG base

CBD Isolates and terpenes will fall out of solution in VG!

The suggestion of of using distillate is spot on! The challenge though is the homogenizer/ Generator probes you’re currently employing are less than effective. As I recall, the manufacture of your current device recommends a run time of 15-20 minutes for 500ml of carrier oil and CBD isolate for tinctures. It should only take 90 seconds.

The most important component of the homogenizer is the generator probes/shafts. Here’s a video on how to determine how efficient they are: https://catscientific.com/homogenizer-generator-shaft-efficiency/

1 Like

Hi!

No apology necessary :slight_smile: The reason I and I assume @Schlegbean mentioned other diluents is because you wrote this:

I have ordered some triethyl citrate as next step, but thought I would put out to you wonderful people in the hope someone might be able to provide full proof method?

We provide a full proof method. But I understand if you want to try and figure it out yourself. Originally I didn’t notice the “(PG:VG base…)” part of your thread title, otherwise I wouldn’t have offered the suggestions I did.

1 Like

The inconstancy you’ve described “some draws were pretty much a mouthful of coconut oil” is because of the homogenizer you’re employing. The manufacture who you purchased the device from suggests run times of up to 20 minutes. You may experience different results if you increase your run times to 1 hour, 2 hours, maybe even 3 hours.

2 Likes

Hi Mart!

Have you come across a sloution for your problem?
I am dealing with the same issues and would be glad about any help or additional infos.

Thanks,

SHMOOK

I’m not going to suggest it, but I believe ethanol should allow them to emulsify. Thoughts? PEG could work but I would not put that in myself.

Hi Shmook

No I never got a solution unfortunately

If you have any sucess, please let me know!

Many thanks

Kind regards

Have you tried/would you try ethanol?

Welcome :raised_hand:

This is my second post here so we can be new together. I too am nervous as i am sure there is many hole in my CBD knowledge to date!

I am in the UK and it seems from the little reading on this forum that we are quite behind in CBD and with our prohibitive drug laws but CBD products are all fine which is excellent. People are far less informed on CBD and as such I have become quite knowledgable on this subject and successfully developed PG/VG eliquid, low being 4% and high being 10% which I vape at 1.2-1.4ohm on a low wattage used sparingly.

Terpenes in a PG/VG eliquid CBD

From my experience, the only thing that fully suspends any THC or CBD extract be it shatter or distillate is PEG400…from the PG/VG/PEG options. PG may suspend it for a while but after a few days it always seems to separate. I have tried even <3% THC via distillate in a CBD isolate PG/VG mix and did suspect and vape but you could see it separate sightly eventually. Which

PG/VG eliquids - CBD Isolate

I make PG/VG eliquid using 99% CBD isolate (the only thing I can find domestic, plan full-spectrum distillate but to make a different type of product) 4-12% and given samples to 15+ people and all have told me the immense benefits of the vape, from reducing panic attacks and anxeity to sleeping much better and feeling much more rested.

Anyone who makes PG/VG blends can tell you any kind of separation is a deal-breaker, a problem I solved with mechanical mixing when blending the VG into the PG with the CBD isolate dissolved in (key to success!!). I tend to mechanically mix, let sit and then do the same again, it combines well with steeping the eliquid so I know the flavors are better and will be a better product to vape straight away. I also add flavours to this, works well but not on par with a full terpenes profile for sure.

So what is the solution?

I believe there will be two products eventually, along the lines of:

1. The Value Product:
    PG/VG CBD isolate (eliquid CBD concentration: 5-15%)
  2. The Premium Product:
    Full Spectrum CBD Distillate/Extract (82-85%) + Terpenes Profile (5-8%) + Dilutent (~10%)*

*Please note, I have NO experience of option 2 and joined here to source and learn this product as seems to not really exist in the UK!! I have worked with THC distillate a fair bit.

In the future I intend to get into the CBD business in the future and I have a background in (unrelated) process engineering.

I think as @FloraplexTerpenes has said, you need to move to “Option 2” for your eliquids. I 100% feel that “Option 1” has a place in the future established CBD market but as the lesser product to “Option 2” and the price point will reflect this.

Oh gosh they sound lovely :wink:, I feel the UK market is certainly going to need these about in the future, do you get much UK interest at the moment? We have a number of essentially “pretend” CBD products (0% actual CBD in :rage:) on the market which I feel has made the UK population think CBD is not useful. Even people who have tried my CBD vape juice who have tried other UK CBD products.

I have said a lot, love to hear other peoples thoughts, hoping to learn so much for form this forum! I know my eliquid is good and happy to share what I know so far as all part of the process :slight_smile:.

CuBkD

1 Like

Specifically tests on pg/vg

2 Likes

I’ve tried literally hundreds if not thousands of different variations and have gotten up to 200 mg of CBD in a PG/VG base stably with safe ingredients. I do not consider MCT oil to be a safe base for vapes, there’s evidence of it causing lipoid pneumonia.

I don’t want to just take all my work and give it away on the internet, but I’ll leave you some breadcrumbs that should lead you in the right direction:

1. Look at the SHORTest chain triglyceride and it’s toxicology / solubility properties
  2. Invest in a homogenizer