Tricks of the trade

I use vehicle oil filter pliers to open and close my ethanol containers. It keeps the lids nice and tight and you aren’t breaking your hands in the process.

32 Likes

Nice :grinning:

1 Like

Wikipedia has been ranked as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica, and if you make a change to an important article that is easily verified, mods usually change it back within 24 hours, even less if what you changed had a citation that was peer reviewed. Wikipedia only sucks for things that don’t have citations. It can be a very credible source, especially for science related things.

3 Likes

As for tricks of the trade, I pull patties like taffy instead of whipping them to make crumble, it is so much easier to do, especially when changing unstable shatter to crumble.

9 Likes

In Tricks of the trade we try to explain thorouly how or what is done
Please explain in a sop your teck for futere readers :pray:

4 Likes

Cleanliness.

I was not taught how to extract or run a CLS, I had to read/learn first hand, by myself. My trade brings a few things to the table…

I was getting a mol sieve together tonight. Just came in, my first one. As I was assembling it, I wiped all surfaces down with ISO. I looked at the 3/8 NPT weld joint on the hemispherical cap. The back of the welded joint, on the ID of the tube, had a bunch of soot and crud in it. I don’t know if they backed that joint with something or just back purged the weld or what. But both caps had a bunch of contamination in them…as seen in the pics on the q tips

When adding anything to my system, I treat it like a steam plant system. If it’s going in, being opened etc it gets a 100%, spotless cleaning with ISO or acetone…then gets a once over with ISO immediately before install if it wasn’t capped for foreign material exclusion.

Just my thoughts…not so much a trick but what should be common sense?

11 Likes

Are those the smallest rebuildable ball valves ive ever seen?

Might be just trick w lighting…but they look tiny! I love it, where’d u get if so

2 Likes

they are just small 3 piece ball valves…thats the next step up. probably 3/8 or 1/2

1 Like

They are 3/8 ball valves. Nothing fancy here. You can adjust the pressure of the seats on the ball which I appreciate. These came from open source steel…they’ve got a decent deal on a molecular sieve at the moment.

1 Like

A little more in depth, if turning unstable shatter into crumble, we fold it on it self until it is about 2 inches wide, and grab it with gloved hands, then we pull it like salt water taffy, grabbing each end and pulling it out to agitate everything, folding it back on itself then pulling it more, until it reaches a uniform color, then we place it back in the vacuum oven, repeating the process every few hours until it finishes into a crumble consistency.

8 Likes

:pray: super thx

Taffy tek with pics.
Thanks @Eastcoaststrange

5 Likes

My God, I bought this back when u posted…
I just used today instead beating my columns tighter w my packing rod trying to get out!

It came right out ,I screwed in, pulled out, bam!
Do from both side then it came out with ease !

Fastest clean out for me yet! It was thawed though

7 Likes

Syringe heaters. http://syringeheater.com

If you’re trying to fill distillate or other thick extract into carts with a 60ml syringe, or trying to heat parts of your SPD equipment like @fresh.botanicals was doing with the heat gun setup, these little heating pads are pretty neat. Anything that needs a little warmth could benefit.

The control unit and heating pad is about $400, and an additional pad is $100. They have a cylindrical shaped pad and a long tape type pad.

They go up to 180c. We haven’t run tests on heat consistency but they have a thermo kinetic mode.

2 Likes

leaking jars? Someone posted in here about putting a small dab of distillate on glass joints… I figured I’d try that on some leaky jars and sure enough they sealed great.

smear a small bit of extract on the lip of the jar where the lid meets, it will keep it stuck the entire time it’s sealed. Much bigger stones on a jar/lid combo that barely held any pressure before.

12 Likes

IT is @Soxhlet his invention i am sure hè be delighted with this News
:+1:

4 Likes

I like using these. Highest quality parchment I’ve found and the sheets are perfect size for oven shelves.

2 Likes

I’ve had really good luck with this manual vacuum sealer. It works on any type of container with lid. You punch a hole in the lid with a thumb tack, and put a tab over it and pull the air out with the hand pump. The tab has adhesive on the sides, so it stays on the lid and can be sealed over and over. It’s really handy if you have to keep opening the jar to get stuff out, it’s much faster then getting out the food saver and attachment.

Pump n Seal https://pump-n-seal.com/

I don’t know how deep the vac is compared to a food saver or vacuum oven method, but the lid is held down pretty good. It would be interesting to put a gauge on a jar and compare vac levels.

17 Likes

Everyone has posted precut parchment for the big ovens here is some for the lil guys with a .9cu ft oven with the 11 x 10" shelves. This stuff is thin but a 1" lip holds up just fine and wax separates just fine so i’ve had no issues with it especially for 250 sheets under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QD3BGI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 Likes

I love these things. I use the big ones, but these are so handy and headache saving.

3 Likes