Topical mixing at scale

hey there we have recently been asked to do some topical formulations incorporating cbd and thc into lotions and body budders. i am looking for the best ways to thoroughly homogenize the base product with a carrier oil in 55gal drums without dedicating too much elbow grease haha any input would be appreciated

My guess is you’re going to pre-homogenize in a small batch of your initial matrix and then blend into the larger batch.

This will reduce the capex of your homogenizing equipment…

4 Likes

I don’t have any expertise with topical, but I’m working on a emulsion based drink right now and I’m looking into an inline homogenizer like this

our viscosity is going to be super high so i dont think something like that will work. should work great for drinks tho

1 Like

What is “super high”?

one SKU is a facemask with different kinds of clays, another is a body butter. so id say probably over 5000cp

There’s a bunch of ways to do it depending on your process. Look into inline homogenizer setups and / or find a silverson or similar batch homogenizer.

Still working on getting a lift fabricated for my 800lb 25hp silverson homogenizer that I’ll be using for topicals:

… but I’m using this smaller greerco batch homogenizer and an inline IKA dispax reactor for cosmetic bases currently.

There’s other ways but I’m not sure what you’re working with as far as equipment.

9 Likes

Dam dude that is a monster. How much that run you ? When do you think you will get this thing running.

2 Likes

Ran 480 for it and got the vfd all wired up, programmed and mounted. Just waiting on getting a custom lift fabricated for it, hopefully by the end of the year it’ll be in full service.

They’re not as expensive as you’d think - we got this one in an equipment trade with Wohl Associates.

3 Likes

that thing is beastly haha how viscous of a substance can it handle? we are starting from the ground up on the topical side of things but we only have to incorporate the carrier oil with the active ingredients (in our 50L roto probably) and then blend that into the base product

The inline mixer can go up to 7,000 - 8,000 cps depending on a number of variables and optimistically the batch mixer should go up to 10,000 - 12,000 cps according to Silverson… depends what you’re using it for.

2 Likes

that sounds like the play then thanks for the info!

1 Like

We have an in-line homogenizer for this application here

Pair it with an x1740 drive motor and you’re in business. We have everything in stock and ready to ship

Got the exploded diagram for this?

here’s the manual
DK 40 Manual.pdf (1.4 MB)

1 Like

I’m warning all of you, stay away from the X1740-DK40 Flow-Through-Chamber. It’s a disaster!!!

1. There’s a step in the inlet chamber which allows bacteria to build up. There needs to be a sanitary weld applied in that step. I told @goldleaf_scientific about it over a year ago. He told me it was too expensive for the sanitary weld. His attitude is fuck the customer!!!

2. After cleaning , when reassembling the inlet chamber you’ll pinch the oring and it will leak. This happens every time.

3. Sometimes the inlet chamber is made with stainless steel, sometimes not! (meaning it will rust)

4. Students from Turkey perform the weld on the inlet chamber. Sometimes the weld leaks, sometimes it doesn’t.

These are just a few of the challenges with the DK40 Flow-Through- Chamber

Ryan @goldleaf_scientific is incompetent with all of the CAT devices, and has never even operated a homogenizer. He’s nothing more than a tire salesman, who is now offering lab equipment.

5 Likes

you can make hummus with those

The step forces intimate contact and between the stator and rotor. It is machined so there isn’t any weld there. It can be machined with a radius but would lose its efficiency. All flow through chamber need to be sterilized. Just keep it clean and dry and bacteria cannot grow.
It is definitely always made from stainless steel, but if you allow water to sit in there indefinitely it will eventually surface rust. This is normal and completely avoidable by keeping the inside dry. Just clean and dry after each use.
At the end of the day if the item needs sanitary welding, or machining, or any other method to fix or improve the product then we will do so. It is a Goldleaf DK 40 and we stand by that 100%.

I have vessels designed specifically for lotion/cosmetic/beverage mixing and homogenization as well. GMP able, with CIP ports built in.

They are jacketed, have a built in mounted large high shear homogenizer, and also side mixing/scraping blender paddles that ensure all product is blended appropriately.

I’ll try to get photos up soon.

50L, 100L, 200L & 300L options available.

We offer specified pumps as well if you would like a pump system to fill and empty the lotion/cosmetic solutions.

208 3 phase available for all, also offer 480 if you need it that way.

We custom build the panels for these units.

Can offer full 304SS or 316SS depending on your needs

3 Likes

whats the price tag on something like that?