Spraying Distillate on Candy/Edibles?

Hello All,

I am seeking input on what the commonly used method for spraying Candy/edibles with a distillate tincture?

Any recommendations for accurate technical sprayers?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty common to make the candy and edibles with the distillate so it’s infused. Unless you’re trying to do a fancy, specific coating. For that a spray dryer and most importantly a well formulated cyclodextrin based cannabinoid encapsulation recipe. Not hard but again, pretty fancy and laborious when infusing the recipe is just as easy and effective

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone who is spray dosing their edibles. Everyone is infusing their products. There’s a ton of threads on how to infuse different things here, and my suggestion is to figure that out. You and your customers will be thankful you did.

4 Likes

Sono-tek had the most precise doser 3 years ago i would start with them.

3 Likes

Sprayed on edibles are a huge thing. Although they all suck

13 Likes

Agreed

I actually helped out a company with this some time ago; they were able to utilize a food grade spray gun to spray full spectrum distillate onto tea leaves with surprising accuracy. You can source them off alibaba, just ensure they’re rated for at least 120C.

As others above have mentioned, you’re going to have a much simpler time infusing the product with distillate rather than spray applications, both in the mfg process and with batch to batch variability. Dependent on the composition of the candy/edible, I’d be happy to send you a sample of emulsified distillate (broad spec or full spec) in either a glycerin/water base, or glycerin base. I could even dose it relative to the product (i.e. 0.7g of glycerin is used in the mfg process per edible, and you want them dosed at 20mg/edible, so 0.7g of the received solution would contain 20mg of cannabinoids). Let me know if you’re interested, and good luck!

8 Likes

I am aware of how to manufacture infused edibles. There are many companies that are spraying pre made candies.

1 Like

Yes but every spray edible company sucks. Not possible to accurately dose. And most of them are so underdosed its pointless. Spray on edibles suck. Its only good for the producer as you can buy premade shit that tastes good and spray on. Its the lazy way

10 Likes

Spray drier or an atomizer of some sorts (can be a good spray bottle) with your cannabinoids in a solution with beta cyclodextrin & ethanol. With the right formulation - you’ll be able to spray this on something and then it dries and adheres as the etoh evaporates.

The formulation will take some work for you to finger out but 1:1 fat : cyclodextrin is a good start

5 Likes

I realize they are sub par to infused. That’s not a concern for my clients.

Well if accurate doses and quality doesnt matter then put disty in a spray bottle with a solvent and spray a tray. Its not rocket science

6 Likes

Forreal

1 Like

While I am sure plenty of people are spray dosing, I have doubts as to the long-term viability in a market where taste is everything. Cannabinoids do not taste good (generally speaking), and when you coat the outside of something to be eaten with a bitter, gross flavor, your product will suffer. Infusing masks the flavor and leaves you with a more accurately dosed product, every time.

In my local market, and in all of those I have worked in previously, no one who is finding any measure of success is spray dosing. They cannot compete with infused products in the long-term. Your clients may not care, but you should care enough about your clients to ensure the products you are helping them develop work in this market. It should be your obligation to at least try and convince them that the path they walk is a dead end that will only cost them time, money, and their reputation. Reputation goes down enough and it won’t matter how good the next product is…

3 Likes

I am looking for the most refined method of spray application and etoh/disty in a spray bottle is clearly not the most refined application based on what others have chimed in on.

No etoh for gummies as they dissolve.

3 Likes

They don’t care and they are dead set on applying this method as their relatives are utilizing this technique and moving 12-15k worth of edibles weekly.

If your doing solid things like gold fish etoh will work. Your just misting it. Whatever you use maje sure it evaporates fast. If your doing candy make thc infused sugar. And just roll everything in your sugar

4 Likes

If they can’t be convinced that spending less money to make a better product is the appropriate direction, they maybe shouldn’t be on the industry. They may be doing okay now, but soon enough, there will be more people in their local market producing better product for less money. This is how companies die.

Wow i never thought of it like that. Thanks for imparting such profound wisdom bro. You are very wise.

2 Likes