SPD vaper getting Through the trap

I will give that a shot! Thank you

1 Like

The other good option is an SMC IRV20 regulator. @cyclopath is correct, presumably you are caware you can condense alcohol at warmer temperatures because that what you do with your still. The issue is your vacuum level has reduced the boiling point of the alcohol below the temperature of your condenser and cold trap

2 Likes

Don’t be silly!
Your still runs at 78C. (81C with iso).

Your next step is distilling the cannabinoids at almost 200C. No?

(It’s not, you want a devol at 140C).

Same damn temp as using your still!!

Actually setting your mantle at 80C might be almost as frustrating as using your e.toe. Which is probably regulated to 78C. I’d suggest 90C on the mantle. Same way you’d drive cannabinoids. Just a little warmer than the vapor seen at head.

For a guy with big still, you don’t seem to grok distillation.

Heat to boiling point, then condense at lower temp. Sucking lowers boiling temp in a known (and linked) manner. Adjust to suit.

Just trying to lean bud.

I suggest you lay off the lean, and read.

5 Likes

It may sound like he’s being harsh but you would do well to listed to @cyclopath: you can read the same thing 15 times over in the time it takes to try and fail. It’s not a bad thing to read over the same stuff twice until you feel like you absolutely understand. You will learn faster that way.

You may also want to take @Apothecary36 up on his offer. You’ll probably save that $1000 pretty quickly versus needing to do a major rebuild on your pump because you didn’t think to add acetone to your cold traps. Certainly not saying it’s the only way but it would be pretty damn helpful I think

6 Likes

…and I’ll go medicate.

6 Likes

Maybe I missed something, but I have seen mentioning anywhere that you have used rotovap to evaporate alcohol before placing crude into the SPD flask.

To all US people: In Canada government charges us 100% excise tax on any drinkable alcohol. That is why its twice the price here. So ISO is preferred solvent.

Same tax structure here.

Reason EtOH is better has been linked twice

Op has a still and could make his own. If you’re recovering it, then price/tax is less relevant that suitability for task at hand.

3 Likes

82.5c is the boiling point of iso. Agitating in a heated flask will release the volatiles.

No need to be snarky about it.

3 Likes

Just pointing out why the Etoe no worky.

I blame the D8 cart in my hand. Just not the same…

5 Likes

Not just specific to solvent recovery: EtOH is more polar and therefore rejects the fats more easily hence being “better” (and methanol being “best”). I believe that link also mentions adding water to the IPA to make it more polar and function similarly but it is quite a bit more touchy to get right and there’s less data available for ratios

1k word substitutes:

Cause apparently links are hard to follow.

1 Like

He’s using the Etoh Pro, which for all intents and purposes is the roto-vap in this situation

Canadian 100% tax is federal + Provincial (ON 61%) in USA Distilled spirits are taxed at $13.50 per proof gallon - fixed rate.

Some US states have higher tax than the other, but its in low digits.

1 Like

I get that.

But, one thing I’ve seen is a lot of people getting misinformation on the basic solvents to use from YouTube, Reddit, etc.

They come here for help.

Feeding into the echo chamber of being a your typical Reddit egotistical asshole makes us know better then them. Difference being most of us know what the hell we are doing and specialize in certain fields. As a collective, we’ve fixed a lot of the misinformation that’s been touted for awhile.

Be better, man…

You wouldn’t be a dick to your kid if they came to you asking a (what we would consider) a trivial question, would you?

Long winded response, and not meant to be an attack. A lot of new comers here looking for help. Fix their issues and help em out!

4 Likes

I just meant for Iso… that’s what OP mentioned.

I might if I assigned reading to answer his questions and he didn’t do it…

I certainly would if he was trying to perform CLS hydrocarbon => distillate and failed to do any of his assigned reading.

Check my first response SPD vaper getting Through the trap - #19 by cyclopath

Links provided for what the problem is, how to solve it, and why ethanol is better…

If the horse won’t drink, sometimes you just want to hold its head under water and be done with it.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it I have set the mantle like you said and it is working it is distilling out the iso. So that would make me believe my ETOH Pro is not working correctly and has caused all this issue. I will just look for a good deal on a rotovap.
Again thanks

1 Like

It’s one thing to tell your kid to read something and letting them “experiment” with volatiles that could potentially kill someone without walking them through it.