SPD vaper getting Through the trap

You need to do a devolatizing step. I would just cook the oil in a steel pot on a hot plate up to 120 c while stirring for about 30 min. Get a laser temp gun

Even after that your first pass will be a terp removal pass

So you can see both cold traps with dry ice Are full of alcohol/liquid. Before this picture I stopped whole process and dumped out a leader of a mixture of what seems to be water and alcohol. I did not add iso to the dry ice that I think was a mistake for sure but still at the rate it was pouring through something is very very wrong. My ETOH Pro is not evaporating all the alcohol out of it it is left locked very liquidy stinking like alcohol.
I do appreciate your help

So here’s the big stuff:

You are adding alcohol presumably to winterize out the fats,but isopropyl is the wrong alcohol for that. It is less polar than ethanol (the safe one) and way less polar than methanol (the even less safe than isopropyl one). That means you won’t remove the fats very effectively.

Also, I think I must have missed a filtering step in your process because if you don’t filter the fats out, you’re just adding alcohol and then removing it without any affect on the oil

That being said, the goal of that short path setup you have is to distill cannabinoids which boil around 400C, not the alcohols that boil around 60c (not under vacuum of course). If you pull too much vacuum while distilling the volatile compounds (the devol step @Apothecary36 was talking about), you will reduce the boiling point of those alcohols below the temperature of your traps.

Lastly, you definitely want something liquid in your traps. The vapor in the still only sees the inside of the glass; if theres nothing transferring the heat from your dry ice to the glass, the vapor in the system won’t be contacting a surface cold enough to condense them

Oh wow

10 Likes

I was definitely using the ISO for filtering that’s all we can get Easily in Canada, I have now found a source for ethanol so that will fix a lot. the vacuum does seem to be pulling extremely hard maybe a vacuum regulator will fix that.

Temp?
Filter then winterize?!?

Remember we need excruciating detail here…

Per Sid’s recommendation, see: Iso vs ethonal for why it matters

Personally I’d throw the e.toe pro in the trash and get a rotovap. Mainly because their pronunciation of EtOH offends me :shushing_face:

Edit: get your self a controllable leak: Roto Evaporator issues - #32 by cyclopath

See: I just got a 2L rotovap, will this vacuum pump work with it ? - #26 by cyclopath for boiling point of ethanol at various vac levels (iso should be close).

You’ll notice ethanol boils at -40C if you suck on it hard enough … (which you have obviously been doing)

5 Likes

It’s wild, weeds legal in Canada, and there tek just seems so fucking far behind…

Everyone there’s makes it sounds like getting consumables is impossible…

1 Like

Very tough my friend. Went to 2 places yesterday needing Ethanol it’s only been six months on the search closest place I can get it is British Columbia which is still eight hours away to the lower mainland. They give us licenses and then they take them away and change the rules so many times you’re right we are so far behind it’s ridiculous.

1 Like

The OP can use EtOH pro to distill some vodka to use for extraction if vodka can be gotten easy. (Well vodka, or any alcohol really)

2 Likes

@Royboy0330 is that cls at your place? The calender on the wall is not something you would find in Canada/US. That is a jacketed spool so you can fill that to the top with dry ice. Let that sit for 30-45min and keep it full of Dry ice. Keep your solvent tank on dry ice also before you push it thru the spool. This will help you keep fats/lipids out of your final product.

2 Likes

I own a big alcohol still and can make my own alcohol but I read it that people are using 100% I can’t make that I can only make 97

Yes I’m looking for a space for my lab for now I have it at home. Yes that’s a dry ice column.
Not much fats in the product after coming from the freezer to the dry ice.

Oh sorry I see what you’re saying the one picture of the CLS it was a picture from factory before I received it. (China)

3 Likes

You can’t distill the alcohol past 95.5% but that will work fine for winterization. It is what most people use anyhow

3 Likes

You need to have the cold traps be in astep up type setup. So the vapor has to fight gravity to go up. At the same time it’s spending longer duration with the dry ice to condense.

Tagged the wrong person whoops. @Royboy0330

2 Likes

So what would you suggest I do now? I have a whole bunch of crude mixed with iso that wont distil in my ETOH do you have any ideas on how to distil the liquids out of that without hurting the cannabinoids?

So you did not follow the Iso vs ethonal link to understand @SidViscous’s admonition to use Ethanol?!?

Try this post Iso vs ethonal - #76 by Photon_noir specifically (although I recommend the entire thread).

You don’t want 200 proof for winterizing.

2 Likes

I suggest you get creative.

You say you have a big still. Do you understand how it works? (Why buy an e.toe?!?)

Do you not see that you distill your hydrocarbon vapors in your CLS just as you distill cannabinoids in your spd?

You could use either you CLS or your spd to distill the iso. …

There are posts on both those setups here.

Ethanol recovery via SPD

etoh in a regular recovery tank - #11 by Dred_pirate

4 Likes

@Royboy0330 what state u in? I think you need a hands on consult

2 Likes

You need more dryice in your cold trap, you will also have to add acetone or something.This allows more thermal transfer.

3 Likes