Small home project

To be fair he had been smoking extract made with isopropyl before I met his daughter so probably not the safest thing and god knows how much residual was left but I’m pretty sure he is no different than anyone that smoked weed before the turn of the millennium LOL

Id be afraid to know some of the shit I smoked in the early days, I had a guy sell me oil clearly cut with Vaseline when I was in my teens.

I haven’t actually tried It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more in a panda.

if you want to attempt it.

Nail the panda to the floor, and do your testing with something expendable: (say) oatmeal and water.

eg

(you may want to check that entire thread)

you can also just take the approach others in that thread are taking, and use the Panda as a separate step after washing cold. (but why?!?)

once you’ve got “I can spin it and spray solvent (water)” working reliably, then switch in your biomass and dry ice cold ethanol.

5min recirculating should get the job mostly complete. quick rinse with another aliquot (quart?) of fresh solvent to grab the more saturated stuff you’ve been circulating, then off to evaporation.

keeping temps low (below 40C) during evap will help with color. vacuum or patience is required.

3 Likes

If you are wanting to make carts off of your personal harvests. I wouldn’t focus that much energy on alcohol and distillation.

For carts.

I’d recommend getting a closed loop and use butane. You can flash freeze everything on dry ice, crush and run it on the same day. The end product from this, getting processed into a live resin cart will be easier and far less time consuming than the other option. And possibly, probably more cost effective, too. People like @Killa12345 and his company Quality stainless parts , you can get a more than adequate cls and all the necessary accessories for less than you would spend on the short path setup.

Also, instead of getting an ultra low freezer, you can winterize your ethanol solution in a cooler with dry ice.

Are your 4 plants are indoor and under a single light? Let’s be optimistic and say each plant is under its own light and each one gives you a moderate dry lb of flower. You are now sitting at 4 lbs of flower. And we’ll be modest and say that there is roughly a 25% tac content. For easy numbers, let’s say you get a 25% return from all 4 plants and now you have to post process. Winterizing, you’ll lose some. Not much, but some. Then decarb, you’ll lose +/- 13%. Let’s keep being generous. And you have 450g ready to distill, barely a half liter. You’ll need a 1L spd (definitely costs more than a setup from Killa. That half liter, let’s say you get a generous 75% out of that. At best you’re looking around 300g of distillate.

11 Likes

For cost effectiveness, I would agree that a small system from @Killa12345 could the way to go.

Of course, ethanol (everclear) may be a lot easier to procure than butane or propane in the op’s area.

If you’re gonna get a small short path, I’ve been super happy with David’s glass from China. Quite economical too, probably in the same ballpark as a small cls.

3 Likes

the biggest problem with that solution is legality.

home use ethanol extraction and or cannabinoid distillation are (often) considered fair game. home use light hydrocarbon extraction is a felony in most jurisdictions.

there is also the whole burn your house down bug/feature with that approach.

4 Likes

Good point.

And you do have to try a bit harder to blow yourself up with ethanol.

Still VERY possible, just requires a little extra effort.

And I will pretty much always prefer working with liquids to working with gasses.

1 Like

Id love to do hydrocarbon for him, but I am in a pretty small town in Eastern Canada and Im honestly not sure where I would source butane without raising some flags. Ethanol Im pretty sure I have neighbors on all three sides that are running moonshine LOL

4 Likes

Hard to decipher. Looks like they have a small distillation rig (or two) at reasonable prices.

1 Like

I should probably be concerned that the first place I go is “what other low effort ways are there to go out in a blaze of gory?”…

right?

or is that how I’ve made it this far without achieving that?

three kids in my high school turned themselves into wall coverings making nitroglycerin in a cement bunker 2 years before I went through.

I would have been enrolled at the time if I hadn’t responded “I don’t” when asked by the principle why I wanted to go to his school. Same guy who politely asked me not to return for 7th form. yeah, no worries, I got other places to be…

2 Likes

I bought a 500ml setup couple years back. Just use for my second distill. But there are smaller setups? Even came with its own dinky mantle lol. I just used my 2l head on it.

1 Like

Where did you pick that up?

Idk where he got his, but look at this adorable 100ml kit

https://bimedis.com/a-item/other-laboratory-equipment-ace-glass-distilling-kit-1497128

3 Likes

I just googled and found the smaller size,