Rotovap condensing column broke! Replacing cheap? Is any glassware "fixable"?

So, while we were trying to connecting the coolant lines, it got overtightened and it caused the glass coolant fitting to break. Under the impression that any sort of damaged glassware is a major no-no for drawing vacuum, I’m looking for a new main condenser, for a 2L roto. How cheap can I find one? Is it worth considering getting it fixed or is it FUBAR?

So, after doing some searching, I’ve found a couple replacement sources, and according to the search bar @Terry_Manager sells replacement glassware. However, I’m still unsure about whether or not it’s safe to consider using or fixing. Anyone willing to chime in?

You can order one from Across International

don’t fuck with lanphan / terry. if you are going for china glass @david is the plug

7 Likes

I don’t think that can be fixed sadly. Even if so I would not consider it safe/reliable to use.

1 Like

Yes, it wil be ok after you buy new condenser.

Could you send me complete picture for rotovap? then I can know more details and give you better price of condenser

Not a glass expert, but that might actually be repairable.

There are a number of threads on the subject of glass repair, and at least some of the have recommendations for qualified glass blowers.

Don’t recall if anyone actually qualified to say from a picture if that was a loss or not raised their hands. Probably worth your time to go look.

https://future4200.com/search?q=Glass+repair

If you decide to call it a dead loss I know someone working on their skills that would love to try. Pretty sure they actually purchased a tourch and annealing oven.

4 Likes

More trouble than they’re worth

Ive had a local glass blower fix the exact same thing, just have them put a barb on it rather than a gl fitting.

6 Likes

If you post location some of us can recommend glass repair shops, have heard good things about Allen Scientific Glass in Boulder CO

2 Likes

@tuclibys
that can be fixed.
Off the top of my head i cant remember what 2 part resin you use.
But you can place a PTFE tube in the hole to act as a dowel, cover the joint in resin and place a stainless barbed fitting over the top.
If you take your time you can make the joint better than new.
I hope you understand what im trying to explain.

@Roguelab replaced the gl fittings on a kit for brass so the the internal diameter was the as large as it could be. This is what has given me the inspiration.

I will try to find the thread where he posted what he did.

3 Likes

This … took some finding but anyway I hope it helps you matey :+1:

5 Likes

Idk if that’ll fit. What’s the make and model of your roto?

4 Likes

I’ll sell you a 3” stainless steel tube in shell that you can manifold in- won’t break and has much better heat transfer

1 Like

@tuclibys this is repairable, where is your location? I can recommend someone for the repair.

7 Likes

Repair it !!!

3 Likes

That is an easy fix. If you ship it here clean then it would probably cost about $70 to fix.

11 Likes

Nice! Ya @goldleaf_scientific can definitely fix it. There’s a couple others in NorCal that could easily do it as well…but @goldleaf_scientific is best option…for that price especially

And don’t listen to these guys about Lanphan…I’ve had a roto from them that’s lasted me almost 4 years…they are what they are and have always been very accommodating…probably cuz I’m not an asshole when I talk to them…CAVEAT: FUCK Terry…there’s something seriously amiss with his Gulliver (brain)

3 Likes

Yeah i second @goldleaf_scientific for the repair job :+1:

5 Likes

Boom shakalaka! thats a great price! @tuclibys this sounds like a winner!

6 Likes