Piecing together a small SPD - what do you think?

Anyone have any leads on a China chinese Cold trap with full size 24/40 joints?

4 Likes

Thats a nice piece @square_root_pharms if and when you find the supplier…let me know. Hey @TerryLu-Manager…can you get us this??? Please DM me a price for a cold trap like the one in the picture above this post. Please take note to the 24/40 joints for the vacuum input and output.

8 Likes

My thermocouple probe head adapter fits really nicely in the distillation head. I think I need to pull the probe up a little so it is level with the condenser. To seal the adapter into the joint and the probe into the adapter, will PTFE tape work on it’s own? Or is this another connection that I should grease?

/var/folders/h4/cdbmt2h130ndfxj4hxxpzq_c0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/56939399566__ED1B4A88-36B3-4E94-8F21-643AAE02A74E.JPG

2 Likes

pull the probe tip up to be level with the sidearm on the distillation head. If you have it pushed in where the liquid can climb it your seporation will be poor.

6 Likes

@Poizzin Do you have a picture of how you hooked your cow and cold trap to vacuum lines. Im looking to buy the same cold trap from Deschem on ebay

Ok so i am helping out a friend of mine
And the gl fittings for vacuum sucked
So did mine When i used them by the way
And a lot of newbees start of with a cheap Chinese rig
So thinkering on the matter i came to this solution
Don t laugh🤣
I gleud on with polyurethane gleu ,epoxy i found to fluid for this
Hose pillars on the glass
Advantage being a wider bore and. Less seals that want to leak
Make sure that When starting to put gleu in the metal fitting You have a round pin
Stick inside the fitting Wich You pull out once parts are into place yust to make sure No gleu goes in vapor pathUploading: IMG_1498.JPG… e

3 Likes

Pic not working for me.

Does anyone make ptfe GL18 to kf flange adapters?

Not the best b picture, this is current, using gl14 to pumps,

The new setup will be this head

This cow
this 3 way
This cold trap
This vacuum adapter
Hooked up to bellows direct to my pumps. Shoul have everything by end of next week

4 Likes

That’s the only cheap cold trap I’ve found with full size joints but have to use an adapter like your 3 way to utilize it.

That looks real similar to what I’m piecing together.

It will be interesting to note the departure angles of the branches on those adapters to cold trap fitment and how it will all align.

2 Likes

I need to make surevit tomorrow

2 Likes

Off the top of my head lab society and maybe beaker and wrench

I just hope all the angles work out, if not I will have to find 24/40 adapter with angle needed

ah i just saw them at lab society. i had to double check that they weren’t made of gold @ 100 bucks a pop

1 Like

Here was some cool things

Holy crap thats high price,

Its the gl thread is a coustom threadform, most likely a single point tool had to be made one off to perform the cutting operation.

This is similar to how they would thread that hole, except the included angle of the thread is different, most stuff is 60^* included angle.

This is an example of a gl tap I made, the threadform can be cut into a tool steel rod, then flutes can be milled or broached in the tool to form the cutting surfaces. The tool can be heat treated after the geometry is formed.

5 Likes

im thinking a decent 3d printer could pump those fittings out pretty easily no?

Maybe a PFA or FEP 3d printer?

it looks like 3d printing PTFE is here. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Advanced-Materials/Fluoropolymers/PTFE-PTFE-Compounds/?N=5002385+8711017+8721867+8733375+8745513+3294857497&rt=r3

2 Likes

That’s why I think beaker and wrench could do it, but they wouldn’t be $20, unfortunately. I bet one of the tariff’d countries make em

Hey guys! I’m also piecing together my own SPD and while i was looking for cold traps I came across this one; http://www.sla-scientificglass.com/shop/category.asp?catid=827
a0001633

Has a 24/40 inlet and outlet with a 24/40 receiving flask joint. All for $154. I saw someone say they had a good experience with this company, Southeastern Labs, I think it was Future himself. Anybody else know about this company, think this design is good? I’m worried about the performance of this trap since the outlet joint is in the stem rather than the base.

1 Like