Rotovap condensing column broke! Replacing cheap? Is any glassware "fixable"?

Not a glass expert, but that might actually be repairable.

There are a number of threads on the subject of glass repair, and at least some of the have recommendations for qualified glass blowers.

Don’t recall if anyone actually qualified to say from a picture if that was a loss or not raised their hands. Probably worth your time to go look.

https://future4200.com/search?q=Glass+repair

If you decide to call it a dead loss I know someone working on their skills that would love to try. Pretty sure they actually purchased a tourch and annealing oven.

4 Likes

More trouble than they’re worth

Ive had a local glass blower fix the exact same thing, just have them put a barb on it rather than a gl fitting.

6 Likes

If you post location some of us can recommend glass repair shops, have heard good things about Allen Scientific Glass in Boulder CO

2 Likes

@tuclibys
that can be fixed.
Off the top of my head i cant remember what 2 part resin you use.
But you can place a PTFE tube in the hole to act as a dowel, cover the joint in resin and place a stainless barbed fitting over the top.
If you take your time you can make the joint better than new.
I hope you understand what im trying to explain.

@Roguelab replaced the gl fittings on a kit for brass so the the internal diameter was the as large as it could be. This is what has given me the inspiration.

I will try to find the thread where he posted what he did.

3 Likes

This … took some finding but anyway I hope it helps you matey :+1:

5 Likes

Idk if that’ll fit. What’s the make and model of your roto?

4 Likes

I’ll sell you a 3” stainless steel tube in shell that you can manifold in- won’t break and has much better heat transfer

1 Like

@tuclibys this is repairable, where is your location? I can recommend someone for the repair.

7 Likes

Repair it !!!

3 Likes

That is an easy fix. If you ship it here clean then it would probably cost about $70 to fix.

11 Likes

Nice! Ya @goldleaf_scientific can definitely fix it. There’s a couple others in NorCal that could easily do it as well…but @goldleaf_scientific is best option…for that price especially

And don’t listen to these guys about Lanphan…I’ve had a roto from them that’s lasted me almost 4 years…they are what they are and have always been very accommodating…probably cuz I’m not an asshole when I talk to them…CAVEAT: FUCK Terry…there’s something seriously amiss with his Gulliver (brain)

3 Likes

Yeah i second @goldleaf_scientific for the repair job :+1:

5 Likes

Boom shakalaka! thats a great price! @tuclibys this sounds like a winner!

6 Likes

Thanks Guys!

7 Likes

Brilliant! I couldn’t have asked for a more helpful community response, as usual. I regret to inform you that I’m located in Canada so it would probably end up being a handful to ship, but I am more than willing to give it a shot. I’ll fire you a PM!

3 Likes

Probably will cost more in shipping then the repair, thats still not a bad deal considering u dont have to deal with a potential wrong glass order that doesnt fit perfectly

2 Likes

Look for a locol place then, i took mine to a guy who makes vases and chandeliers for his showroom store.

2 Likes

i would say most canadian shipping is about 40% more on the shipping to US. I cant see that thing costing more than 75$ to ship here plus 75 back and the repair…

2 Likes

Where?

@tweedledew is in BC and has a local shop he uses that could manage this (now that the experts have chimed in and say it looks fixable :upside_down_face:).

Can’t point you at any québécois, but they here…

6 Likes