Removing sulphur contamination from BHO destined for distillate?

When the copper comes out black. Haha. For good measure, I’d place fresh copper in after the initial 24hrs, and just go until it comes out clean

3 Likes

if you don’t go all the way down the rabbit hole, you may well end up in a worse situation than you started in…Copper turned my dabs black!

breath. spend a little time reading. you’ve got the basics. make sure to buy the right scrubbies and clean them before you start.

6 Likes

No that was a one time favor/slash challenge for myself with no guarantee to the other party. Was phenomenal sauce only time ive ran to disty and got a 90% return from start after decarb. But wont do it again, not worth my time

3 Likes

Have you had this tested yet? I was just talking with someone who was talking about how sulphur can degrade and/or convert with sulphur

1 Like

works for making CBN, and even D10. ish.

2 Likes

I washed mine in etho then distilled water and citric acid to clean the scrubbies and then did the same everytime until the scrubbies werent Black anymore. Dried in Vac oven after cleaning

3 Likes

So just a constant room temp heat for 24hrs, what’s a good starting amount of copper? 50:50 to the product once the ethanol is added? And I guess I’m unsure what are scrubbies? Is that the product your using to scrub the contamination out with?

1 Like

I’ve been direct messaging you.

Room temp or heated ethanol to melt your bho into.

Then 120-150F for 24hrs for sulfur remediation.

Just a helpful hit. All copper works. Any and all forms.

3 Likes

i would dissolve in heptane; then LLE in the following order; sodium hypochlorite solution → brine → h202 → brine.
then solvent recovery and distillation.

look into “desulfurization”

7 Likes

they the guys cooking the crack

does this not oxidise the double bond in the cannabinoid ?

2 Likes

solvent wash then light pickle with dilute nitric followed by distilled water wash would be my cleaning process for copper

3 Likes

Ya this was several yrs ago and tried a method photon suggested just to see if i could and havent done it since.

if heat and time is added into the equation it would; but at room temp it shouldn’t do much. ive employed this technique many times on sulfur derived CBN

yes and CBN has an aromatic ring rather than a floating double bond that is reactive enough to
isomerise to delta 8.

not saying it doesnt work but we use bleach to epoxidize isosafrole in the cold.

oxidation is exothermic it does not need heat.

heat just speeds it up well most oxidations I have done anyway

2 Likes

ive never experienced d8 formation from this; even when done on sulfur dusted crude. Your points are valid tho; and good food for thought, thanks.

curious as to how you would go about with desulfuriztion? know of any better ways? genuinely curious.

I really like the idea of the copper the trick being the copper has to be really really clean.

remember at the moment I am in learning stage I have been on this site for like 10 days :slight_smile:

copper oxidizes realy quick and we often dont see the oxide layer to get a good clean reaction
with sulfur I would think it must be pickeled with nitric acid to make sure the surface is free of
any impurity. of course pure copper is what you want to so electrolitic like what is used in plumbing.
not sure about the copper pads but I think the most important thing is its clean.

to clean with nitric first all oils must be removed so a solvent wash is used first then the nitric.

I know of a reaction using sulfur and cannabinoids so I have thought a little over it.

2 Likes

ive used copper a bit too; works well in the distillation head! just dont pack to tightly! the nitric acid trick is slick i always ended up scraping off the oxide layer tediously with sandpaper; i bet the best would be copper turnings right off a lathe or mill.

squig you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I was only trying to say the double bond is reactive to get the 6 / 8 position isomer you use an
acid lewis or mineral or a base that is a organometal (well beyond most here)

1 Like

probably though surface area is of play too.

I would say a electroplate of a ceramic waffer would be best then use it
as the packing in a fractionating column.

remember you are making sulfides so when you reclean your copper it will release some hydrogen sulfide. this shit stinks and is very dangerous.

all depends on how much sulfur you are removing.

for oils like most are talking about this is not a problem.

for reaction clean up it may just be.

still the pads might still be the best way as suggested above I think the pickle that is used
for people create a clean weld will make it easier and more efficient.

just soak the pads in a low boiling point solvent.

leave to dry then put in 5% nitric or maybe less or maybe more im not sure on the percentage.

it wont take long in the nitric to give you a molecular clean.

then when you have finished with it wash in solvent that is high boiling point and leave it in the
solvent.

then when you need it again wash in low boiling point solvent then acid again.

forgot to mention always wash the copper with water before use to remove any traces of nitric acid.

that will for sure kill your cannabinoid

1 Like