Removing sulphur contamination from BHO destined for distillate?

sulphuric works to clean the Copper scrubbers too IIRC

@Photon_noir, didn’t you tell me to clean the copper scrubbers I used for sulphur clean up with sulfuric acid?

3 Likes

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ie990717z

:wink:

3 Likes

dont make the acid be it sulfuric or nitric too strong

https://www.chemedx.org/video/copper-penny-concentrated-nitric-acid

you will loose copper everytime with either acid.

you wash off water soluble copper nitrate or copper sulfate leaving a clean surface

1 Like

ive done reactions with sulfides and sulfuric and the area was evacuated.

willgerodt :slight_smile: I hate you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willgerodt_rearrangement

3 Likes

hey sorry i’m late to the party. i have some good experience with removing sulphur from crude prior to distillation.

@FicklePickle has been teaching you my tech. you can do copper pipes in 5 gal buckets or you can do LLE. both work, but both take time and work.

if you do use copper, try to stay as low temp as possible. you don’t want to heat solution with catalyst in it. i have lost 10% THC this way. also you need to filter it really good through DE after the copper scrub. the sulphide is a black flakey crud. you need to physically separate it.

lle works well too but you’re gonna need some more ingenuity than 5 gal buckets

4 Likes

Been thinking this might be a good source for the amount of surface area, and purity.

Starts out at $18-19 a pound for polished copper shot.

I would think that washing with saline first to remove as much water soluble sulfur as possible is choice before using copper. I was under the impression that your not actually removing the sulfur by reacting with copper, just changing the chemical structure to a sulfide or sulfate.

that granulated copper is great, but it’s hard to filter/clean.

you are correct, i would LLE first, then finish with copper. copper works in hexane/heptane too.

2 Likes

Nah, I said to use citric acid. You could use strong acid in dilute solution, but it may also dissolve your metal, not just the surface compounds. Citric acid is much gentler and it can form ligand complexes around the copper sulfates and oxides, chelating them in aqueous solution. Citric acid is the main ingredient in many copper/brass/bronze cleaning products.

2 Likes

However, yes, I did provide you with that publication regarding the reaction of sulfuric acid with H2S! That was for a different purpose, of course.

2 Likes

I found a better way, dm me on signal and ill share sensai @Photon_noir

3 Likes

I followed exactly what you said to do and it worked like a charm.

1 Like

Dissolve the disty in a non polar and run through filox filter media

1 Like

Also, we have a sulfur scavenging reusable polymer we will be releasing in the next month or so.

1 Like

May I ask what percent sodium hypochlorite solution you are using?

And I’m assuming both the sodium hypochlorite and h202 solutions are being used as oxidizing agents, correct?