Re-dissolve BHO for CRC

Hello all, I got some old, dark BHO I want to dissolve in butane and run through CRC. I was thinking about placing the BHO in my SS tank, fill it with cold butane, soak in 25 Celsius water bath so it all dissolves and then push through the CRC. Running passive, 1/4“ hoses. Pros/ cons any other SOP? Any advice will be appreciated.

You’ll need nitrogen. You’ll probably want to run it through filtration media while it’s cold, heat it up, and run through crc. Nitrogen helps with all that. It will have zero taste when it’s done and you might as well distill it but what do I know?

Nitro push for sure. So push the disolved BHO to a jacketed column with dry ice, soak to cool the solvent, open the valve and push through the media?

1 Like

i have done this many times.

never needed to push through crc cold.

will work and you can also remediate “sappiness” with stable extract also

6 Likes

Here’s a couple short 30 second videos about redissolving oil to filter or recrystalize.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCTl4YMhkVw/?igshid=19e1y0wmjgxmg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPVVBjBrdS/?igshid=1ugpua5fqa9d8

All you need to do is slowly boil the solvent by venting the warm solvent vapor to a cold recovery tank. A needle valve is ideal but if you’re using a ball valve just monitor the solution and close it from time to time to check the solution for chunks. Boiling the solvent by recovering vapor will agitate the oil and mix up the solution effortlessly. I prefer to do this in a jacketed column with the oil sitting on a sintered disc rather than in a tank so it is easy to drain the solution from the bottom. If you recover too much solvent and it still isn’t mixed you can easily add some more. The entire process should take 30 minutes or less to totally dissolve your oil as long as you start at high pressure (above the resting psi of your gas) and boil it thoroughly.

32 Likes

Thanks a lot for the help

1 Like

I would push it through another filter stack of non crc. You’ll be surprised how much extra waxes you can pull out.

2 Likes

if u look through the original thread and search for some the same words ull see where i did it w no nitro push. but i had to bump my tank in hot water to get psi to move it around

i predissovled it then poured the butane oil slurry into my dry ice chilled solvent tank

4 Likes

Can’t find it, saw a nitro thread you started

Open solvent tank recovery port, put heat exchanging/injection coil on 60-80f water, turn on recovery pump (or don’t if you’re running passive) and let warm butane dissolve it as you inject (oil should be in product column above a filter stack before your crc unit)

Should only take you 10 mins if you do it right

Edit; your recovery coil should be on dry ice bath, injection coil in warm water. You’ll probably reach about 20-30 psi during injection

3 Likes

What’s the initial batch size looking like for these runs?

2 Likes

About 200 gr of oil

1 Like

I’ve done this with 10 kilos at a time. Yes, a lot of what other people are saying works on small scale. Even if your 200 grams was worth double it’s still not your time.

2 Likes

Sleeved column* is open for dry ice. A jacket is closed for recirculating near cryo fluids through it or warm water thru it to help raise vapors for recovery.

2 Likes

Mine is sleeved

Got no access to distillation gear. Client went to a 3 year vacation that might be reduced to 2 if he plays nice with the other dudes in the resort. The only way for me to at list recover my cost is make carts out of the oil

2 Likes

what do you use for your filter stack just for pulling waxes?

Shit ton of coarse activated alumina and a bit of silica gel to make a cake.

3 Likes

Mine doesn’t seem to be dissolving very quickly. It’s a larger batch but going on about 45 min now

Anybody got any tips

1 Like

if you can safely offgas it so that it makes the solution boil it will mix it up a bit faster. You can just off gas it a bit then wait until it builds back pressure and isnt reacting and do it again, until its good, obviously the colder it is the slower its going to go.

4 Likes