Butane works but no theory! A few dozen hints

“It’s an actual electron”

And there are “electronic excitations”

the “exciton model” describes “electronic excitations”

“quasi particles…the slow burn…this side of plasma”

the article you reference is indeed about “electron transfer”…
yes the physical transport of “excited electrons”.

Now with reference to the “butane works” subject…
we are searching for a source of H+ protons to be
pumped into the storage space of the Capitate Trichome…

1 Like

Photon absorption, for example, leads to electronic excitation which separates an electron from it’s hole pair.

The weird shit happens at the nano scale because the hole/pair separation is larger than the size of the particle, begging the question wtf actually is a hole and where does it physically exist.

4 Likes

And can one extract it with a non-polar solvent?

2 Likes

However a drop in pressure will cause a rapid boil in butane and that rapid boil is adequate agitation to assist the dissolve. It’s the trick to re-dissolving in butane. 15 mins and ur dissolved.

2 Likes

I agree that turbulence in the solution of any kind will increase the rate of dissolution. However you can create that shouldn’t matter.

Temperature and turbulence are the biggest factors that affect the dissolution of a solid into a liquid. Su

2 Likes

Absolutely!

Cause “heat” is a measure of how fast those molecules are moving about…faster molecules does indeed mean faster dissolution (or diffusion if we’re going with misciblity)

@Costello

How are you suggesting we drop the pressure? Vent to atmosphere?

Or use a pump?

If the later, I highly recommend piping the exhaust from the pump back through the bottom of the vessel.

See: Re-dissolve BHO for CRC

4 Likes

Pressure also makes molecules move faster though right? Is that phenomenon not applicable to solids?

Don’t think so.

PV = nRT does imply that increasing the pressure while keeping the volume and number of molecules in your container the same requires raising the temp.

It also implies that if you decrease the volume, you increase the pressure. That is because the kinetic energy implied by T is now applied over a smaller area.

Means molecules are smacking into each other more frequently, but does not mean that mean impact energy is higher (they are moving faster).

3 Likes

Bypass vapor pressure from mat column to recovery.

1 Like

addendum 7:Note on FIA HRAM:
FIA high resolution accurate mass EIC chromatograms specific for THCA and THC were extracted within each region. In this study, the THCA (M+H)+ pseudomolecular ion and (M+Na)+ adduct were observed with exact masses of 359.2217 m/z and 381.2036 m/z, respectively.

More real than sauce?
Cerilliant solvent standard containing THCA
was prepared at 500 µg/mL in LC–
MS grade acetonitrile.

the sodium salt in acetonitrile…injected directly into the Electrospray…MS
no column??? five big question marks…??
I do not see anything on the spec sheet about Na salt?
Cerilliant? Perhaps an artifact of “purewater” glass container.

Addendum 7a Must read:https://doi.org/10.1007/s13361-017-1626-y

2 Likes

Extracting the oils off the resin glands and then Concentrating it into an oil?

2 Likes

Groovy…I think that is covered by “BUTANE WORKS”
title section of this topic…You seem to understand well.

and in a very restricted sense…“those extracting cannabinoic acids with aprotic solvents to produce crystals” , NOT OILS
falls into the category “but no theory”. Capisce?

but somehow I think your comment was not to be taken at face value.

BTW…can you take a close look at the article above: " stability of acid cannabinoids…electrospray"…
Please explain why Cerilliant’s “cerified” THCA gives rise to a signal indicating
Na THCA salt when directly injected into the Electrospray MS?
Help us out here???

The question is…do you really know what type of THCA (x?) salt you are making??? does Cerilliant? If you are not doing a strong acid
pH 2 or less wash…what is it you are doing? HPLC followed by conventioal MS or DAD is not going to tell you.
addendum 7a:
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13361-017-1626-y

“poorly understood”…is it all artifact of Na leaching out of glass bottles? How do you do ionspray MS of anioic cannabioic acids…?

3 Likes

Surface area

1 Like

I think a strong acid wash is overkill. I would just use cation ion-exchange to ensure that the all the THCa is in its protonated form.

4 Likes

I use that reference as it is Mecoulam-lab proceedure.
you have to look it up. Question, Assuming the the pK of the THCA is 3, what exact solvent/ph ionexchange resin-combo do you intend to wash with to remove it from the resin in the H form?
LLE acid wash is cation exchange…what pH do you prefer?

1 Like

Typically, in organic synthesis and purification there are usually more than one way to do it.

Washing your organic layer with brine has always been a staple of extractive workup. The brine effectively “dries” the organic layer by osmosis and cuts down on the amount of drying agent you have to use to completely dry the organic layer.

But it does introduce possibilities of undesired salt formation if the product is a carboxylic acid, particularly if the rest of the molecule is so lipophilic that the salt finds its way into the organic layer.

If I was worried that the THCa I am trying to sell might be slightly contaminated with the sodium salt, I would obviously try to avoid that, and I would use ion exchange, possibly followed by a desalting procedure.

1 Like

I am just trying to guess what it is the diamond people are doing.
thank you…the salt problem is nicely summarized.
best

1 Like

THCa wouldn’t get bound to a cation exchange resin, and done in column-mode, retention would be minimal. The conjugate base of THCa would only interact strongly with an anion exchange resin, needing to get rinsed off.

Whenever I have performed ion exchange, the solute was dissolved in aqueous ethanol.

In organic synthesis, acidic LLE is typically used to remove basic components from a reaction mixture, for example pyridine or DMAP when used in acylation reactions.

The times when I had to have a defined counter-ion and 99 times out of 100 that was the triethylammonium cation, that was always achieved by washing the organic layer with 1.0 molar triethylammonium bicarbonate and any excess of this species is volatile and disappears during evaporation, leaving clean triethylammonium salts in the case of mono-ionic phosphate and phosphonate esters of natural products.

4 Likes

I would be very surprised if the “chalky” nature of diamonds is due to undesired salts present in them. I think it’s just included solvent.

2 Likes

well perhaps I don’t quite understand your meaning.
I’ll stick with the “strong”-acid wash pH less than 2 found in the literature…
if find it usefull.
Yes that is a very useful and popular way to get rid of pyridine.
but it is not exactly a lipophilic carboxylic acid which is the subject at hand.

BTW…above…we have discussed the anion resins and exchange process with references concerning cannabinoids…
to some extent and a bit of embarrament on my part mistaking
a ternary amine resin for a quanternary. There is a bit of grey to
be discussed in that realm…i.e., the “ion exchange”.