PDXCanna's pectin thread

Ingredients:

Water
Glucose Syrup
Granulated Sugar(sucrose)
Baker’s sugar(for sour coating)
Pacific pectin 150 slow set(citrus, not apple)
sodium citrate
potassium sodium tartrate
isomalt(or sorbitol)
sunflower lecithin - liquid
MCT
citric acid
malic acid
flavoring(Lorann super strength for this)
food color

Supplies needed:

Stainless sugar/sauce pan
Medium whisk
Small whisk
A few small bowls
3x 3mL pipettes
candy/instant thermometer

Recipe

Part A

5.2g APC-104 pectin(citrus)
1.6g Sodium Citrate
.6g Potassium Sodium Tartrate
30g Sucrose
(If using SS or ESS-150, just use 35.2 grams total of the standardized pectin instead of the separate weights for pectin and sucrose, in addition to the buffers which will still need to be added)

Part B

88g water
1.5 mL MCT

Part C

168g sucrose
2g isomalt
132g glucose
.4g sunflower lecithin

Part D

3mL Lorann SuperStrength flavor oils(or TT)
food coloring
7.2g acid mix(2.5g citric acid, 1.1g malic acid, 3.6g water)

Procedure:

Begin by gathering all ingredients (mise en place)

Combine pectin with 5-6 times it’s mass in granulated sugar and mix with small whisk. Add buffer salts
and mix(the pectin may be pre-mixed with sugar or dextrose from PP, I don’t believe the sample I got from Andre was. If that is the case, just add the buffer). Measure the additional sugar and glucose in separate containers. Add the lecithin to the glucose, I usually just stick a little glob on top.

Measure water, heat. Add MCT. Combine pectin/sugar/buffer mix by mixing slowly and allowing it to mostly dissolve in between additions. Try to avoid temperature swings from adding too much. Use a thermometer to monitor cooking temperatures.

Incorporate the glucose, lecithin and additional sugar, again avoiding adding too much and getting large temperature swings.

Bring to boil, stirring, until 222F-224F on a digital candy thermometer.

Allow to cool to ~210F. Add cannabinoids, incorporate.

Add flavoring and food color and stir in. Add citric acid and water mix, pH to 3.2-3.4

Stir vigourously to fully incorporate all ingredients and to evenly distribute acid mix, taking care to watch for gelling and working quick to get everything mixed evenly. Target depositing temp is ~203F

Pour and scrape into molds. PJ bold on Amazon makes a decent budget full pan mold, otherwise try @mgucci or @darkcitymolds . I get maybe 2-3 minutes of woking time tops, but it’s a lot easier than hm-100 was for me. I would recommend something with rounded edges over cubes/complex shapes for ease of demolding.

Allow to cool until it cleanly separates from mold, ~2 hours.

Put gummies in sour sugar mix, toss and coat.

Dry at 40-50% RH for 24hrs(I don’t have an active water meter so this isn’t perfect)

Resources:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/pectin

Peter P. Greweling, The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) - Chocolates and Confections Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner-Wiley (2012)

(Food science and technology) Reginald H Walter - The Chemistry and technology of pectin-Academic Press (1991)

Modifications:

Starches and agar can be incorporated into pectin jellies/gummies with varying degrees of success. I’ve had luck with agar, although it seemed to sweat more. The starch I tried didn’t like the required temperature for pectin, but others might work.

Potassium sorbate can be added as a preservate(although the pH should do quite a bit on it’s own), I’ve used .1% of the end weight of the batch added to the water before heating.

Isomalt/sorbitol(polyols in general) aren’t necessary, I use them to inhibit crystallization/sugar crashing out of high brix candy. Playing with glucose/sugar/brix ratios can accomplish the same thing

Different acids and buffer salts(esters) can yield different results. I’ve had success with a mix of potassium sodium tatrate and sodium citrate, I’d like to play with some malate and phosphate salts as well. Malic acid and tartaric acid are also good choices for gelling, just have to adjust the amounts.

I also feel I should note, this isn’t a gold standard commercial SOP, just trying to demystify it for my fellow home-gamers.

this is the recipe I’ve based most of mine off of, from the above link. Scaled down to 450g and with a few modifications

44 Likes

reserved

3 Likes

When you used HM-100, did it set too quickly?

yeah, I could only get a minute or so of working time at best. I’d lose like 20-30% to the pan/early gelling

1 Like

Same here. Literally sets up in 20 seconds. I can pop them out of the mold in one minute still warm. Nice texture and taste but waay too quick. Did you ever try using buffer salts w the HM-100 to try to slow the setting?

I never got it to work how I wanted. it’s already got tri sodium citrate, you could try the potassium sodium tartrate/sodium hexametaphosphate, that’s what’s in the french ‘yellow pectin’ that led me down that wormhole

1 Like

We are having success with HM-100. Of course you have to be quick. We played with the amount of citric to add before depositing and found that by decreasing that amount gave us more time to work with it before it gelled

5 Likes

@MedicineManHempCo What kind of timeline are you able to get w HM-100? More than 1 minute? I’d be ok w that. I’m only doing small batches (350g or 100pieces). I’m starting to wonder if that’s part of the problem, maybe it’s too little material?

shit ill give these a whirl at some point, thank you for sharing PDX!

1 Like

Here’s the reply I got from Todd at Pacific Pectin regarding HM-100 set times:

“ The pectin used in our HM100 blend is extra slow set with a DE at about 60%. The Rapid setting can be caused by a couple of things. First is cooking temperature, the product will begin to set based on temperature and PH so if the cooking temperature is close to setting temperature the gel will appear to happen rapidly specially once the gummy has been poured and is segregated from the bulk heat of the batch. Pouring at a higher temperature can help give you more time to handle the product before it reaches that setting temperature (you might see presetting if you are handling the product around 190*F). Final PH is the next reason this product will gel quickly, target final PH is 3.5 at 75-80 brix. If the final PH is low the pectin will set extremely fast at the setting temperature, if the PH is spot on at 3.5 you should have a moment or two before the batch gets thicker and plugs up piston fillers. If the PH is too high you will get a smooth pour and a gummy that appears to be gelling but never gets passed the tacky state and wont hold its shape. If that’s the case add more citric acid, if you are low on PH reduce the added citric acid at the end of the recipe.”

2 Likes

I’ve only really tried a few variations of the pacific pectin recipe with hm-100, all cooked to 223-227f, they all gelled super quick on me. I was getting gelling even before adding acid in a lot of cases.

I personally think HM-100 is better suited for a guitar cutter/pouring slabs. I know @Kingofthekush420 as good luck with it, his approach is different than mine though

1 Like

I used the HM100 for pour and scrape but I’d only do 1400 pieces a batch and it kicked really quick, we’d still get it in all the molds.

One thing you can do too is heat the molds up it’ll make the gummy solution stay hotter for longer and not kick as quick

I never did that but I know ppl that do

8 Likes

Maybe my batch size is too small (100pieces)? That might be part of the problem. Todd from Pacific Pectin mentioned that in his correspondence. My goal was to test the recipe first (virgin batch) as to avoid wasting materials. Lol I’ve wasted a lot already

It seems that the smaller the batch is, the quicker it sets even with the same recipe. Larger thermal mass gives more time to scrape. We have been experimenting with the right amount of citric. Even small changes in the citric will change the texture of the gummy. It really is a balancing act of having enough citric to get a complete gel but not too much that you don’t have time to get it into molds. I have also heard of Sodium Citrate being used as a buffer to slow the set down. Have to experiment with it a bit.

3 Likes

I’d like to try more edible acid esters - tartrates, malates, phosphates etc

2 Likes

More info from Todd at PP regarding HM-100:

• small batch size requires more water because it boils off quicker (example: 375g batch size, add 30g extra water)
  • when adding citric acid at the end, use hot water in the 50/50 mixture
  • heat up the silicone molds before pouring (pour n scrape) and/or heat up a confectionery funnel to hotter than the gummy mixture
1 Like

@MedicineManHempCo the HM-100 lists sodium citrate in the ingredients. I wonder if adding more would buffer further?

100% correct assumption

3 Likes

@pdxcanna curious if you prep the cannabinoids by dissolving them 1:1 in sunflower lecithin or similar before u add them to the mix?

Ethanol is easier

1 Like