Brix and Temperature Correlation in Pectin Gummies

kotk coming through with the marketing advice too.

3 Likes

In my opinion, yes it should be a bit warmer than that.

We cool in the molds on perforated sheet pans until they pop free, then demold and return them to a perforated sheet pan for a 24 hour dry before packaging. No complaints yet of humid packages.

The room is on the same A/C as the rest of the building but with the addition of a dehumidifier keeps it warmer than 75.

2 Likes

You can also use a tent to create a small dry room if need be

I keep mine at 80f, if you go too hot you can have problems with your gummies sticking together. Havent figures out what exactly causes this but im guessing it has to do with the outter sugar coating either melting or so much water coming outside the gummy that it melts the sugar together then evaporates so they get stuck

This only happens if theyre touching though

4 Likes

Good point, keeping them separated is important for even drying

The Green Gummy sells an amazing SOP for Pectin gummies that really dives into the technical background as well as troubleshooting. We also offer Consulting

1 Like

There is a ton of FREE information on this very website that goes into the background and troubleshooting of gummies, that doesn’t cost $2000 for what is probably an excel spreadsheet and some poorly put together steps combined with Pacific Pectin’s troubleshooting tips.

This is where I based my recipe from: PDXCanna's pectin thread

Here’s another good thread too: Gummy recipe and SOP inside - #492 by DiNKLB3RG

This one too: Need gummy recipe (recipe inside)

1 Like

Shrimp, I am by no means trying to bash anyone or take form anyone. I spend all day talking technical to major producers as well as small time kitchens just getting started in the industry of making vegan gummies and its not easy.

I am just tying to help people and I am extremely good at going over equipment and procedure hurtles to fix arising problems during production.

The reality is just because you can make good gummies today doesn’t mean you wont run into a problem tomorrow with new equipment or formulations.

Shrimp I do think you are absolutely correct, the information is out there for free but its not always easy to get from that recipe to the product you had envisioned.

I have a drive to help people make more products using Pectin because at the end of the day Pectin never fails me and it is an incredible product to build your business around.

As for the Poorly put together Pacific Pectin Tips, I highly doubt you are going to get a better consulting experience form anybody on this site compared to myself. I run my lab myself and I test the grade of all the pectin’s I use inhouse myself. Can you test the USA GRADE SAG% of any pectin you have ever used? My equipment comes from DSM Andre the Italian Pectin producing facility where I was taught how to properly test and use pectin in the confectionary application.

There is more to making gummies than just cooking someone’s recipe you know nothing about.

perhaps…. with a little help from the all gnowing one and it’s tubes of you.

3 Likes

Good Try, those jars are a specific size. The ridgelimeter used is also not available for sale to the public, you need to be apart of the IPPA the international pectin producer association of America to obtain one of those. But that is how it is done.

So… they should just pay you $2000 to cook your recipe they know nothing about.

As opposed to developing their own understanding about how the process works?

Why waste time grading your pectin instead of making gummies? Who is Andre the Italian? Do you mean DSM Andre, the Chinese pectin producer?

What role does something like Sag% have for an at-home gummy producer? As far as I know it’s part of determining the gel strength for the manufacturer of pectin, not an at-home cook.

I think you are pouring $2000 down the drain buying someone’s SOP. Spend that money on some good molds from @mgucci or @darkcitymolds , that will do more for your production, and the knowledge gained from sorting through it yourself will be worth far more.

2 Likes

Sure. To compare your numbers, to my numbers, to @Shrimp’s numbers.

For me to compare three samples? Or thirty?

Not so much….

1 Like

The only reason I mention this testing method is because sometimes issues come up during production that don’t make sense. People are only human and accidents happen. Sometimes its needed to ensure the pectin purchased or being used for labs is correct. I also insist on using 150 grade pectin for everything I make so you have the full strength version of the pectin the producers made and not a blend with a bunch of sugar added. If the COA of the pectin you are using doesn’t say 150 grade then its most likely not.
sometimes the pectin needs labs run on it and not the gummy.

I don’t run to google or YouTube for the information I post, Its all directly from my research and labs over the years working with large company’s and Pectin producers. When I need help with an issue I only reach out to the Pectin producers in the world, Silva Team, Andre, H&F.

Which can presumably be verified without the “correct” jar or measurement tool.

Perhaps not to 2%…but certainly close enough to decide if the pectin is the issue.

There are new questions, and new answers to old questions, but pretending that taking a quick peak at what has gone before is a bad thing makes zero sense.

You guys keep going around in circles.
SAG test doesn’t help you it helps me to help you. I lab customers samples and recipes to fix issues. Sometimes people are shipped the wrong pectin and that sucks, how can they prove that?
Silva team is in Italy where I get my Technical from. DSM Andre is a partner I bounce ideas off. We work together. Are any of you working with actual pectin producers to help develop products?
Iv worked with many customers who have purchase Dark city molds SOP this is one reason I decided to get into this, nothing wrong with the SOP they offer however no one recipe will work for everyone that’s the point people need a place to go they trust for true information.

You guys are just bashing me for trying to better myself and my family. I’ve already helped many people on this forum and I will continue to do so because helping get pectin into more products and kitchens is my mission.

You used it as an example of your superior knowledge…

As in “do you guys even know how to SAG test?”.

No, I did not. Now that I do, I don’t see why you bothered purchasing the fancy tools.

For in house work the concept is easily replicated and even calibrated.

Essentially the sum of human knowledge at our fingertips, and you’re gonna go with

Ok. You do you buddy. I’m gonna continue reading…

2 Likes

Places that have true information they trust… Like the links to threads I posted above.

You guys are just bashing me for trying to better myself and my family.

No, you are bashing us and our combined knowledge by saying that you can throw words around like USA SAG % and all the names of pectin producers you know and saying that people need to pay for your ‘expert knowledge’ about how to grade pectin, which says absolutely nothing about your ability to produce edible gummy products.

Anyone else reading this, please feel free to send me a DM I’ll get you a calculator so you can start experimenting yourself.

1 Like

I’m truly just trying to give perspective, SAG is probably useless for most but I have had to deal with an instance where a customer bought 150 grade citrus extra slow set but labs were going bad, when I ran labs on the pectin it came back as 100 grade pectin. you would have been able to tell that from that lab you mentioned that replicates the SAG test however because I was able to supply them with actual USA grade SAG measurements the pectin was immediately replaced.

Sometimes its a 200lb order of pectin, other times its 16+ pallets of pectin. the point is we are not all working on the same playing field and I want people to know what it is I can offer.

1 Like

Presentation is everything.

Huge difference between “got a clients pectin replaced because I have XX method in house” and “I bet you don’t even know how to XX”…

Looks a lot like the second from out in the cheap seats.

1 Like

Ok good call, I do appreciate you calling me out to prove myself I think we would actually make good friends.

Again I’m only here to help nothing more my friend.

This is my Ridglimeter, I only use it to test new pectin lots and test customer’s non buffered pectin as you can’t run a USA SAG test on a buffered pectin.

So do you know is Pacific’s ss150(apc-104) is standardized, or is it just raw pectin like Andre?

2 Likes