Brix and Temperature Correlation in Pectin Gummies

@J5k I have been using the Apera PH60 probe and calibrating it before hand with the solutions provided. I also test it with distilled water as well. I did notice today that adding the citric solution a bit at a time helped me have more control of the set, but I think my citric solution must just be too weak. I’ve had to add double the amount called for in the formula to get the gummies to start to set.

The extra sodium citrate buffers pH, making it so the citric isn’t causing the pectin to set as it should. Have you tried without it?

2 Likes

I have experimented with 2:1 citric:water before and found that it works as well.

One thing about small test batches is that you will have brix and temp raise at an almost uncontrollable rate. I have found that the larger the batch, the easier it is to replicate batch after batch.

Try changing one variable at a time. You’ll waste batches but eventually get it right.

When my company started with pectin, I went though dozens of batches before finalizing our recipe. At some points in that process, it got very discouraging, but I got it right eventually. You’ll get it.

5 Likes

@EHO_AZ

Hi,

No, I have not. I will give this a try on Monday.

@J5k

I’ll try playing around some more with the citric next week since I’m feeling more comfortable with the Brix.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. It definitely gets frustrating, but I feel myself getting closer everyday. :blush:

1 Like

Seconding what @J5k said, bigger batches are going to give you a lot more control and replicability than smaller batches will.

We mix at a 1:1 ratio of water to citric and add all in one shot.

I’d wager that your fix will come with eliminating the extra sodium citrate.

2 Likes

Hello! I wanted to give an update, and I also have a few more questions. :wink:
Thanks to everyone’s help, my gummies have made a great improvement. It’s mostly coming down to the acid for me. I’ve been messing with different ratios. I also tried removing the sodium citrate as suggested, but did not have success. The slurry started to set before I could get it into the mold. I’ve had better luck with doubling up my citric solution. I ordered some malic and will be trying a citric/malic solution next. I am finding that the gummies seem a bit tacky on the side that’s in touch with the mold. I have not been coating the molds before adding the slurry, but the gummies have been coming out fine without it. What are some different acid mixes that you all have found to be successful? Also, what can be the cause of the extra moisture on the top of the gummies and how can this be reduced?

Thank you!

2 Likes

We just use citric acid and sodium citrate, similar to you it took a while to dial in the proportion to get a good balance between setting slow enough to dispense via depositor and setting at all. Ours dry in a way that you can notice a little less sugar coverage on the side of the gummy that was left exposed, but it isnt very prominent. You can sand the tops of the molds soon after depositing/scraping to avoid that issue if it really matters, or use a wax/oil based compound on them prior to sanding, can help the sugar stick.

Are you sanding with granulated sugar or caster sugar? Are you adding any citric acid to the sanding sugar? We use a small amount, not enough to make them ‘sour gummies’ but enough to help finish them off during the final drying.

@Pseudo

Yes, I am doing a mixture of superfine caster sugar with a little bit of citric acid.

Glad to see you’ve made progress. It’s always a great moment when things work better based on the changes you’ve made.

You should definitely sand the tops of your molds immediately after pouring/scraping.

The citric acid in your sanding sugar (if it isn’t an encapsulated acid like Capol, then the citric is probably reacting further with the gummy during your sanding process.

Are you placing your gummies under dry conditions after demolding? You need to allow them to sweat out the extra moisture and have it evaporate, i.e. a warm, DRY room.

2 Likes

@Shrimp

Thank you! It definitely makes me feel better that things are moving in the right direction.

Right now, we are still setting up our curing situation. So for now, I have been leaving them at room temperature after demolding. We have a dehumidifier running to keep the room between 40-45, but we do have the air conditioner running in the room at 60 Fahrenheit. Should the room be warmer?

You can also switch to ascorbic acid which is less hydrophillic and you wont have to worry about the citric pulling water out

Ascorbic acid is also vitamin c so you can say it has added vitamin c

5 Likes

kotk coming through with the marketing advice too.

3 Likes

In my opinion, yes it should be a bit warmer than that.

We cool in the molds on perforated sheet pans until they pop free, then demold and return them to a perforated sheet pan for a 24 hour dry before packaging. No complaints yet of humid packages.

The room is on the same A/C as the rest of the building but with the addition of a dehumidifier keeps it warmer than 75.

2 Likes

You can also use a tent to create a small dry room if need be

I keep mine at 80f, if you go too hot you can have problems with your gummies sticking together. Havent figures out what exactly causes this but im guessing it has to do with the outter sugar coating either melting or so much water coming outside the gummy that it melts the sugar together then evaporates so they get stuck

This only happens if theyre touching though

4 Likes

Good point, keeping them separated is important for even drying

The Green Gummy sells an amazing SOP for Pectin gummies that really dives into the technical background as well as troubleshooting. We also offer Consulting

1 Like

There is a ton of FREE information on this very website that goes into the background and troubleshooting of gummies, that doesn’t cost $2000 for what is probably an excel spreadsheet and some poorly put together steps combined with Pacific Pectin’s troubleshooting tips.

This is where I based my recipe from: PDXCanna's pectin thread

Here’s another good thread too: Gummy recipe and SOP inside - #492 by DiNKLB3RG

This one too: Need gummy recipe (recipe inside)

1 Like

Shrimp, I am by no means trying to bash anyone or take form anyone. I spend all day talking technical to major producers as well as small time kitchens just getting started in the industry of making vegan gummies and its not easy.

I am just tying to help people and I am extremely good at going over equipment and procedure hurtles to fix arising problems during production.

The reality is just because you can make good gummies today doesn’t mean you wont run into a problem tomorrow with new equipment or formulations.

Shrimp I do think you are absolutely correct, the information is out there for free but its not always easy to get from that recipe to the product you had envisioned.

I have a drive to help people make more products using Pectin because at the end of the day Pectin never fails me and it is an incredible product to build your business around.

As for the Poorly put together Pacific Pectin Tips, I highly doubt you are going to get a better consulting experience form anybody on this site compared to myself. I run my lab myself and I test the grade of all the pectin’s I use inhouse myself. Can you test the USA GRADE SAG% of any pectin you have ever used? My equipment comes from DSM Andre the Italian Pectin producing facility where I was taught how to properly test and use pectin in the confectionary application.

There is more to making gummies than just cooking someone’s recipe you know nothing about.

perhaps…. with a little help from the all gnowing one and it’s tubes of you.

3 Likes