Organic Hexane?

Hi Everyone,

So I was having a conversation with a gentleman a few months back who claimed to be organically certified. He was doing hexane extraction… is possible to get organically certified hexane? If so does anyone have a source for it?

1 Like

As far as I’m aware it’s impossible. Love to hear otherwise

2 Likes

That is what I was thinking… You can’t ‘grow’ hexane after all… If it was organic we would be using that for our CPC method to get certified organic.

1 Like

I believe it’s considered a processing aid and exempt

1 Like

Heptane derived from pine sap would probably be considered organic. Can’t find it in quantity though.

Probably could work to transition to a different non polar like a terpene. You can buy 55 gallon drums of limonene so why not

1 Like

Do you have any more info you could share about this? I appreciate the response.

Nvm I am wrong.

Hexane are prohibited in organic processing.

Look up “organic processing aid national list”

2 Likes

All four categories may be produced using processing aids which are either removed prior to
packaging or remain behind in “insignificant amounts,” and which do not have to be identified
on the ingredient statement. (FDA regulations in 21 CFR Subpart F) However, under the NOP
the use of such processing aids is restricted in the three highest categories:
At least 70% - processing aids must be on National List
95% or more - processing aids must be on National List
100% - processing aids must be organic

Based on this quote, do you think this means I can be organic if I keep 70% of my solvents organic I can be organic certified?

Is heptane on that list? I can’t seem to find the list you’re talking about, can you link me or give me a keyword to search for?

Four clicks.

The screens aren’t in order for some reason.

2 Likes

Much appreciated!

using @spdking’s logic hexane should absolutely be organic

1 Like

@spdking =/=logical

5 Likes

@Rowan do you have any advice on this? Seems like it could be right up your alley…

EDIT: Wrong thread I thought this was my recarboxylation thread about adding the A back to THCA

2 Likes

Yes I have looked at an interested route

1 Like

I mean… I doubt anyone used any herbicides or pesticides on the dinosaurs before they got squished. Maybe it can’t be anything BUT organic

6 Likes

not dinosaurs, plant biomass before the white rot fungi figured out how to make food out of the chewy stuff…but the logic holds. the stuff it is made from has to be organic!

so the question then becomes; was it refined by distillation from sweet oil, or is it that unnatural cracked hexane the big boys are selling?

(So much for that US Dinosaur Associated Organic appellation :rofl: )

6 Likes

I think the term “organic” needs to be defined more thoroughly and used in the right context. In chemistry organic is anything that involves carbon so technicality hexane is under the branch of “organic chemistry”

3 Likes

USDA certified organic is what they’re talking about

If you have certified organic biomass that has been handled and stored by/at certified organic facilities, and you have organic ethanol you can make organic crude and distillate. Of course your facility will need to be certified organic as well. If you source organic MCT oil you can package organic tinctures and put the fancy organic emblem on your label.

What I can’t get around is the organic isolate. Neither heptane or pentane are approve process aids for organic products. Does anyone know of another solvent that can be used to make isolate that is an approved process aid?

Have you considered mechanical separation? I’ve used centrifuges to separate isolate from the rest of my distillate. Literally just allow the distillate to crystallize and then throw it in a centrifuge. Like these guys are doing to make diamonds. The yeild is exceptional and you don’t end up with a bunch of cbd left over in your mother liquor.

YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

3 Likes