Is it possible to create CBD isolate/crystalline from D-Limonene or Alcohol (Grape,Ethanol)

Iā€™ll update after the weekend but I have a whole bunch of different isolated terps to try out and a nifty little crystallization rig that needs some R&D bench time

5 Likes

I have successfully Isolated CBD using Limonene, as well as other terpenes. The only problem is your Isolate will now smell like Limonene. I suppose you could re distill it but I donā€™t know if that would get rid of the smell entirely.

4 Likes

Did you happen to run a residual solvent test on that orange smelling isolate?

4 Likes

I did not unfortunately It was a small scale experiment just to see if it would work.

1 Like

Sounds like organoleptic residual solvent testing

1 Like

Maybe use Organic Hexane?

:rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Beta caryophylene

3 Likes

After your visit Iā€™ve been doing this same research. I wanted to have a brainstorming session with Jacqueline when she is out next week. We will have Hayley research any process aids on the organic list to make sure we are on a path To a process we can get certified. Probably a long shot, but we will keep you posted if we figure anything out.

4 Likes

Maybe that co-crystallization technique someone posted a while ago could help

Sesquiterpenes seem like theyā€™d be a nightmare to remove.

Ocimene seems promising, really low boiling point. You wonā€™t find any high purity monoterpene cheaper than d-Limonene though.

1 Like

Fantastic! Thatā€™s exactly why I brought this dead thread back up :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

https://www.vigon.com/product/terpineol-alpha-natural/

1 Like

Theyā€™ll send you free samples also! (I just ordered 3 different samples (to include ocimene, and there was no charge for shipping or anything!)

Really- yet another amazing thing this terpene can do- itā€™s my fave as I have horrible arthritis

Tested hot for pleasant aroma dang

1 Like

Terpineol also seems like itā€™d be difficult to remove. Itā€™s about as thick as bisabolol but smells like green tea. Donā€™t you guys want something volatile for this?

For whatever itā€™s worth, those who are now considering ocimene please make sure your setup is compatible with it. That stuff is nastier than just about any terpene Iā€™ve seen on plastics.

It sounds like you guys might be interested in seeing the terpene extracted Liamonds.

3 Likes

Ocimene will find itā€™s way through the normal plastic caps they use for terpene jarsā€¦ in a fridge. Shits crazy.

2 Likes

Yeah ocimene and terpinolene are pretty savage. Everything else seems pretty tame compared to those two. Never seen any weird trace chemicals in labs for either of them so it must just be something specific to those two terpenes. I think Iā€™m going to do a before and after test to see how bad ocimene leaches plasticizers.

If you leave ocimene with air in the jar it oxidizes like nothing Iā€™ve seen before in terpenes. Forms an orange resin that smells like death juice.

4 Likes

Those are the only two terpenes Iā€™ve had the caps break apart after trying to unscrew them. Iā€™d be curious to see the plastic leaching too on those. A heavy metal leach test would be interesting too since they seem to be more abrasive.

2 Likes

ā€œDeath Juiceā€! My curiosity has been piqued! Iā€™m curious how the sample will arrive if that is how it acts when it comes into contact with plastic, and quick oxidation