Is it possible to create CBD isolate/crystalline from D-Limonene or Alcohol (Grape,Ethanol)

I am in need of advice on how to make certified organic CBD isolate by using D-Limonene or 190 proof or higher grape or corn alcohol (ethanol) Is it possible?

The ethanol is hard.
I would go the limonene route (there are also plenty of other terpenes that have much lower bp’s, that might be better, maybe not cheaper though

2 Likes

I’ve noticed even with ethanol, once it get to a certain saturation point, agitation will induce crystallization. It always ends up being a slab of 1cm or smaller needles.

2 Likes

I tried limonene and couldn’t get it to work. Not saying it’s impossible though.

1 Like

Pursuing organic isolate, anyone make any progress on this front?

3 Likes

I’ll update after the weekend but I have a whole bunch of different isolated terps to try out and a nifty little crystallization rig that needs some R&D bench time

5 Likes

I have successfully Isolated CBD using Limonene, as well as other terpenes. The only problem is your Isolate will now smell like Limonene. I suppose you could re distill it but I don’t know if that would get rid of the smell entirely.

4 Likes

Did you happen to run a residual solvent test on that orange smelling isolate?

4 Likes

I did not unfortunately It was a small scale experiment just to see if it would work.

1 Like

Sounds like organoleptic residual solvent testing

1 Like

Maybe use Organic Hexane?

:rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Beta caryophylene

3 Likes

After your visit I’ve been doing this same research. I wanted to have a brainstorming session with Jacqueline when she is out next week. We will have Hayley research any process aids on the organic list to make sure we are on a path To a process we can get certified. Probably a long shot, but we will keep you posted if we figure anything out.

4 Likes

Maybe that co-crystallization technique someone posted a while ago could help

Sesquiterpenes seem like they’d be a nightmare to remove.

Ocimene seems promising, really low boiling point. You won’t find any high purity monoterpene cheaper than d-Limonene though.

1 Like

Fantastic! That’s exactly why I brought this dead thread back up :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

https://www.vigon.com/product/terpineol-alpha-natural/

1 Like

They’ll send you free samples also! (I just ordered 3 different samples (to include ocimene, and there was no charge for shipping or anything!)

Really- yet another amazing thing this terpene can do- it’s my fave as I have horrible arthritis

Tested hot for pleasant aroma dang

1 Like