Opaline Silica Thread

LMAO I’m so close to that. Come visit

1 Like

Ran 2 live runs today with the opaline silica from oil dry and saw no difference in the outcome. Good flow rate regular yield but it didn’t seem to do anything. I know people are talking about getting the right one but i thought i had the correct one from oil dri?

1 Like

How much did you use? I’m assuming you’ll have to use a shitload of this…

from what people were saying you need to use less. I did 3cups for 2500 ff and 4 cups for 3500 ff.

1 Like

@Photon_noir, didnt you say you need to crush this stuff up?

what would be the best way to do that?

He was using it as it, in granular form, I just looked at the thread. He said it could be milled.

@J12

We recirculated over the bed.
With a pump.
For 30-60 min during recovery.

If you use the minimum amount, and only do a single pass, I suspect you will not see optimal results.

Did you bake it under vacuum for 24hrs first?

We were also not aiming at clear concentrates. So I’m not sure what the expectation would be when running fresh frozen material that should already be lighter in color that anything I ever produced with this tek

1 Like

Would this media possibly work if it was allowed to soak with things? Perhaps a room temp soak with some agitation to the container?

I believe I’ve read that some types of adsorbents are effective this way?

1 Like

Probably. Only familiar with using it in 70/30 propane blend to improve color on material that would otherwise have been consigned to “food grade”.

N-butane should work. No clue on other solvents.

1 Like

Thanks, I should have been more clear with the solvent that would be used.

N-butane is what I’m using currently.

1 Like

Mass transfer is the keyword here. Contact time is important. I’ve never found running packed columns of media for color adsorption to be near as fool proof or quick as soaking and agitating. (Agitation can come from small amount of warm gas injection thru diffuser or even a tube with bunch of 1/8" holes. (Manage pressure however works best for ur system. Dont make a bomb)
I havent ran opaline silica yet but Photons recirculation method is def a way to get more contact time.

4 Likes

I used it the same as i do the B80. From all the talk about it it seemed that it would have remedied some color but did nothing. what results did you see from it?

is that a yes or no on

@Photon_noir posted pictures up-thread. Opaline Silica Thread - #158 by Photon_noir

what I saw was material that would normally produce concentrate darker than picture one ==> something that generally ranged between pic two and three. occasionally hitting the color of picture 4 on the first batch through the oversized CRC…especially if it was recirculated.

at that time, anything looking like pic six would have been rejected as “fake” by most of the target consumers.

Well if it needs to be cycled that many times it’s not worthy of use in my opinion. I never bake or vac any clays and have never had any issues. i fill and pack my columns and then they go into a freezer. If there is any moisture in the clays there frozen before the run and won’t end up in the concentrate. Time is money i don’t have time to recycle each run i do that many times.

5 Likes

if you’re trying to catch the water soluble colors, and you don’t remove the water first, one might posit that the binding sites for your colors are occupied…

4 Likes

Just B80 never vacuumed down, never baked, and run through only once.

6 Likes

awesome work.

doesn’t change the fact that you didn’t follow grandma’s recipe and are stating that it didn’t function the way grandma said it would…

3 Likes

re-circulation was done concurrently with recovery (takes a while to recover 100lb of solvent…)

no time was lost (I’d actually wager that the re-circulation shortened recovery by a hair).

product got lighter. money was made.

glad your cat skinning op is working for you (and it clearly is!!)

1 Like

I guess i’m confused on what you mean by cycling during recovery? i thought you were saying you cycled the run over the media a few times?