Opaline Silica Thread

frozen or not, if it’s binding to the sites your unwanteds need to bind to, it is affecting the carrying capacity/effectiveness of your media.

1 Like

respectfully disagree

2 Likes

yep. with a pump that pulled from the receiver, sent through the CRC, and back to the receiver. during recovery.

pretty sure there is a sketch here somewhere with that shown.

1 Like

X-tane isn’t perfectly immiscible with water. You’d absolutely have water in your solvent, and water impregnating your (who knows how old) kitty litter. Might just be too much water and too little surface area for it to work. But then again, you make clear extracts and I don’t :man_shrugging:t4: so I’m certainly a far cry from an expert round these parts

1 Like

forgive me but still not understanding what you mean? so you were cycling the run over the media and recovering?

100lbs of solvent in a big vat.

takes 90+ min to recover.

during that 90min, solvent is pumped out and over CRC and back into recovery pot. at the same time, the solvent is being recovered.

recovery takes ~90min. re-circulation performed for 30-60min of that 90. no time wasted.

maybe someone who was at the Vegas meetup can post a picture of the whiteboard for you. (@Dred_pirate?)

or at least point us at the sketch that I’m reasonably sure is posted here somewhere.

2 Likes

wish we could get more of that attitude around here :wink:

10 Likes

Ok i gotcha sorry i just wasn’t connecting it in my head

3 Likes

one could alternatively increase the contact time with the media by using a long skinny bed rather than a short fat one.

2 Likes

my runs are 30lbs and it takes me 45 to recover. it’s passive and i don’t have a pump so out of luck on that one for me. i’ll try vacuuming the silica with some heat and see if it makes a difference?

1 Like

different pump too.
AtEx rated, air powered diaphragm pump designed for liquids.
(see foodboxer)
noisy fucker.

1 Like

Oh right on. I’ll stick with the soothing sounds of passive recovery. A good idea though

4 Likes

if you’ve got a 1" or 2" x 24" or better spool laying around, and are willing to bake that sample out under vacuum, you will at least have given this particular magic dirt your best shot. the recirculation pump was not my favorite part of this particular trick.

here’s @Photon_noir extolling the virtues of drying first. again.

I’ve posted pictures of the $15k vacuum pump that died sucking on this (and other grit)…when @Photon_noir suggests protecting the pump with a filter of some flavor, he’s not kidding around.

3 Likes

So…

Was this stuff all peletted? Or do we have it in powder anywhere?

1 Like

I think the point of this stuff is to get better flow. At least that’s why I would use it. Not a fan of nitro… I Think j12 needs to bake it tho for sure

So what is the reason i need to bake it to pull out all the moisture?

1 Like

The flow was the same as a run with no media. From what people were saying this stuff by itself could remediate color without any clays which in my opinion would be the best of both worlds because i feel it would leave the terp profile better then when run with clays. It seems though this stuff would work optimal if ground into a powder.

just checked yesterday’s runs and diamonds are growing as usual. so at the size of the media there mining it now it did little to nothing for improvement. I don’t think it did any harm but also no improvement? i’ll have to wait until it finishes out to see how the terps are though?

1 Like

You should bake it. Try again but add more media.

i’ll give it a shot. sucks though kinda limited at the moment cause he just sent me a sample size and i already ran 4 columns