Opaline Silica Thread

Is that the oil adsorbent you can get from lowes???

I just read the msds, it’s not pure opaline silica, but bentonite is ok, what about the fullers earth?

I assume and quartz powders would be fine as well?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oil-Dri-Premium-Absorbent/50043484

It’s out of stock, nvm, but that’s interesting.

1 Like

MSDS_1003000Aug11.pdf (32.6 KB)

Here’s the msds for the premium adsorbent, this looks like it could be of some use actually…

Thoughts anyone? @Photon_noir?

3 Likes

Those are the same ones that I got yesterday. I ran out of lc02 so I’m going to give it a whirl next week, probably.

1 Like

Nice nice, Im gonna try it out on some trim tomorrow. Wondering how much i should use to test out?

seems like the flow rate will be real good with this stuff. Very curious to see how things will turn out.

1 Like

That CO on the product number suggests the wrong mine to me.

1 Like

maybe it’s a secretly AWESOME :clap: mine

1 Like

Lowe’s might have the right stuff.

You need dirt from a specific hole in the ground. Taft mine in CA.

@Photon_noir stated this explicitly.

1 Like

Why not just go straight to the source of the magic dirt?

6 Likes

I’d assume they’re not able to sell less than a pallet or truckload at a time. But certainly worth a try?

1 Like

Thanks, I missed that one part in there mentioning plain old generic

So it’s a hit and miss then I take it, just order some and hope for the best.

I grabbed a 8lb bag for 8 bucks, out of curiosity, thanks for pointing that out! I’ll keep an eye on the serial number

@Rowan apparently has plenty of space to dump a truck of dirt, and my guess is it would look so similar to the local stuff that he could leave it in a pile out front and nobody would notice.

I’d be happy to go visit and fill sacks…

2 Likes

Photon was mentioning how much he was using, and it seemed he was reusing it, too.

Appears that we might be able to use less (volume) than before to get similar to the same results.

I really want to try it out on something I’ve already ran with the regular media, too.

I also hope this is a good replacement.

2 Likes

I literally live next to a giant open pit mine, 4 minutes from the lab, there’s probably magic dirt right under my feet

6 Likes

We are buying everything by the truckload at this point.

6 Likes

Cool. I’m gonna do some experimenting and see what’s good. I only usually use a little silica and b80 So i’m just gonna try out the same amount as i normally do just with the opaline. My next round comes down soon and i wanna see how this stuff works before i run FF. Hopefully the terps come out fantastic

3 Likes

“Reusing” is not how I would characterize our usage…

Recirculation. multiple runs through a (large) bed. never flushing/washing to regenerate.

Five to eight runs through a large bed. Recirculating to achieve desired color. First run almost always lighter than desired, last run often darker than desired.

I designed a smaller, dual cartridge setup to remove that variation. Never got to try it.

3 Likes

Correct. I more meant he would use the same loaded media for multiple runs, without regenerating the media.

2 Likes

A point which has been made before.

When can I come over and start loading bags for you?

4 Likes

Uploading: AF9936B4-86AC-406C-97F6-2DFA977961E8.jpeg…

1 Like