Only The Strong sauce tek

yes and no, you want to stay in the metastable saturation zone.

This chart shows the general idea, although its not specific to cannabinoids.

8 Likes

Which Alkane is best for this? Wouldnā€™t propane or butane dissolve crystals? I couldnā€™t find anything marketed just as ā€œAlkane.ā€ can you direct me to it if that is a thing?

Also, to purge off the ā€œAlkane,ā€ does the temperature used to boil it off depends on the type of Alkane used? Or what temp am I shooting for with whatever solvent your using? Donā€™t want to lose any of those residual terps.

Gracias Amigo

Sounds like most people are just washing with pentane through a vac and funnel

2 Likes

Yes itā€™s going to dissolve the crystals micro bitsā€¦ The idea is to do it super super cold, like dry ice coldā€¦u minimize the amount crystal loss and the fast filter paper minimizes solvent time

If you do it ever a fast filter viper youā€™ll get most the terps off within the first wash, I like I use ETOHā€¦ Much easier and cheaper for meā€¦ And yes if warm your dissolve them

2 Likes

So let me make sure Iā€™m following here. Apologies for any redundancyā€¦I want to wash with a pentane; or ethanol? And either solvent I choose I want to make sure it is at ultra-low temps. And once dissolved Iā€™m pouring the cold solution rocks and all over a fast flow filter paper and pulling it through. Iā€™m guessing around 25 microns is good for this. Should I go smaller/larger? And finally whatā€™s the best purge method for this? Pretty low temp in a vac oven Iā€™m assuming to preserve terps. Any vac necessary? Or is the roto really a better way to purge off the solvent? I feel like I wouldnā€™t have enough terp sauce to justify that method but Iā€™m all ears. Thanks again gang for the quick responses.

I think pentane is your best bet and yeah probably cold as ypu can get it using a bucnher funnel should get the funnel cold too i imagine i think i may have seen something about letting them sit in pool for quick second in funnel right before you vac to get a good clean but try hitting the search engine i know theres more better thorough sop here

2 Likes

Are you going for a full thca isolate?

2 Likes

My fresh frozen run had not started forming diamonds after almost 2 weeks so I seeded it with 2x .5ct diamond chunks and within an hour diamonds started forming

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Iā€™ve only crashed diamonds once without a seeder. And that was actually my most recent run into the miner

2 Likes

Good question. Lol I thought thatā€™s what I was trying to do but Iā€™m not positive I know what you mean exactly Is that just the difference between separating terp/cannabinoid sauce completely from the crystals or leaving them partially mixed? Iā€™m going for those nice crystal clear faceted shards. I have big lunkers in my jars but when I pour off the juice they still have a slight tint. Thanks for chiming In as well. Super Grateful for all the insight offered here.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad this was brought up. Iā€™ve never had a problem with crashing until recently. Itā€™s been a couple weeks and thereā€™s just a couple dab size crystals in each of the three jars of afgoo Iā€™ve got cooking and The Constantine I ran the same day is almost done. The afgoo was def thinner with more solvent left in it. If I drop a seed crystal in and it dissolves could that mean there is too much solvent. Donā€™t think temps are too high at around 85, which would be my other guess. Iā€™m gonna plant a seed and see if that helps but since you purposed it, rhetorically or not, what else could it potentially mean if the seed does disappear?

I can think of only two possibilities, ā€œtoo much solventā€, and ā€œnot saturated yetā€.

Those are only subtly different, if they are different at all.

Which shows what I know, because one could also answer ā€œtoo hotā€ and be correct as well. :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess that you might not be dewaxing well enough for you to not be able to get clear facets.

And definitely. If you are going to drop in a seed, you donā€™t need much solvent remaining.

1 Like

To clarify, the crystals look like they would be clear if they werenā€™t covered in terps. I just want to clean em up so they are completely separated from each other.I can take pics tomorrow if that helps.

And thank you for clarifying the solvent/seed thing for me as well. Iā€™m gonna purge off those jars a bit more tomorrow before seeding them.

Oh ok. Dirty diamonds not dewaxed well enough will look all thick and not clear like that. I wasnā€™t sure what you meant. I like a little terps on there. But finding that happy medium is a personal thing, I suppose.

And youā€™re going to be looking for almost a NyQuil kinda consistency and you can drop in a seed. Not to worry about the one that dissolved. You just made your yield a weeeensy bit more. Haha.

1 Like

This is back before I was using heatā€¦they where never clear then but are now Everytimeā€¦I havenā€™t washed in while thoughā€¦

Scroll up few messages for instructions to wash stones via @Soxhlet instructionsā€¦

As u can see worked like charm and was my first time ,I made several mistakes!

Now that I know how to use the buchner funnel better I was never getting sealed seated before which was probably only reason I lost so muchā€¦the vacuum wasnā€™t really helping like I eventually got it doing , bc the paper not being sealed , which was when I was winterizing with same system later in the year

1 Like

How does -80 etho work for washing em. I havenā€™t tried it yet. Pentane, ya and itā€™s easier to precipitate in. Buuuut, if I just wash em quick with etho and re-dissolve (yes evap etho) in butaneā€¦ I can do that tomorrowā€¦ :thinking::thinking:

get it colder if you can, more loss than pentane but not as gross to smoke the residuals. have you played with wiping the crystals off with a lint free paper towel? Thats how I clean some of the ā€œsharkteethā€.

5 Likes

I have a feeling Iā€™m going to melt a bunch of thc. Hold my bong

3 Likes