Only The Strong sauce tek

I have the metal one that’s way too big, then I use couple fast grade qualitative filter paper… Then couple coffee filters just in case

So if I get cold enough, and smaller filters should that help fix some that problem

1 Like

I suspect more “cold enough” than smaller filters. but the only way to know for sure is to try it. I’m guessing you’re running a 3" column? 9cm are the most likely to fit. they’re not cheap. (although these are only $0.77 each)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OCOPS6

Edit: @Soxhlet is correct. those 9cm filters are for a 4" column. you want 70 or 75mm. Although you can wrap excess filter up around those rings he shows and make a 90mm work…

1 Like

I use a 7.0 cm in a 3" filter stack your milage may very.

Shown here is the outside diameter of a filter stack spacer intended for a 3" column.
The tube should have an I.D. of 2.815" or close to that. I think a 7.5 cm may be the biggest you can go.

1 Like

I assume that’s blast with a blend. then freeze for a few days.

yeah. ish. I’m not a huge fan of open blasting, or evaporating solvent in a freezer in a mason jar.

if you run out of dry ice in your freezer, you have a much higher chance of things going sideways on you when using lower boiling point mixtures. n-butane is a liquid at standard household freezer temps. Propane, and propane blends are not.

2 Likes

Could i just get a box and keep it stocked with dry ice instead of using a freezer directly? Thanks for the help so far man! Just getting into advanced extracting

I lost about half in the wash, it’s ethanol… If it shouldn’t take that much when you wash then I did it wrong, I had to do it 2x… I kept the ethol this time got on dry ice, figured I’d winterize while dissolved, plus the terp cutting agent I have for vapes calls for distalites or winterized product… Here we go I’m sure it looks awful compared you y’all? Think I broke the big ones trying to scrap out Frozen, that was first mistake I won’t make next time! I’ll pre fold it in filter paper then freeze or something, any suggestions?

But I’m only on 2"x 24" open jacket, and I have one without any jacket… Couple short ones too to interchange…

I will upgrade to CLS within the year, even if I don’t recover just to be safer!!!

1 Like

have you read all 450+ posts in this thread? a cooler with dry-ice and alcohol inside a regular freezer is what the OP recommends.

a box would work until you ran out of dry ice. a cooler would last longer. a cooler inside a freezer even longer…although a freezer is more problematic once you run out of dry ice.

1 Like

to ALL. A damned ole EMERGENCY BLANKET will make your dry ice last days longer, even inside the cooler, then cooler in deep freezer, that’s what I do,

Even without the deep freezer, the emergency blankets and cooler will do freaking awesome!!!

Especially if you rig up lil styrofoam with it wrapped or something for inside top plug to the cooler, just like when you get the dry ice out the cooler at the store but wrapped in the emergency blanket, line cooler with it too… It’s messy shit yeah but it works and cheap!!!

2 Likes

Looks good, nice job.

what temp are you doing the soak at?

I pour directly into jars

yes

I’ve had a jar sitting in the cooler in the freezer with no dry ice for a month with no problem. and it never registered when I checked with my gas detector. I wanted tosee how long cold crash would take at -20°f. it took 34 days.

4 Likes

Right out dry ice, that’s probably why :blush:! Closed column just pack it around, then I can reuse for my cryo in your Tek! I have dewax column, I’m about to have more than one plant come in at time, so I’ll have reason to run it, when I do I’m gonna use acetone,

But how long can I soak then, and will changing my whatman slow, the metal one sucks!

I’ve checked with a sniffer as well. I cannot find any significant gas buildup. The lids are usually under vaccum at that point.

3 Likes

sure. but you know how much solvent to leave. even with instructions, not everybody does. nor do they all have flammable gas detectors.

you’re comfortable with “yes” to will a cardboard box do, and it is not an incorrect response. I agree it will work. We both agree the dry ice in a cooler will last longer than in a cardboard box, and that putting the cooler in a freezer slows the sublimation further.

a 70% Propane mix should be about 12PSI at -20C or ~75PSI at 20C, even though there are links to that information posted in this thread, I guarantee you’ve got folks trying it who are unaware of those facts.

12PSI in a mason jar is far less likely to be problematic than 75PSI, so I’m willing to concede that in a cooler in the freezer is less likely to leak than in a cardboard box.

given that you partially recover before jarring, you are probably working with less than 70% propane by the time you get into jars. consistent with your observation of actual vacuum in your jars at -20 (I’m not certain I’ve got that temp right. its a looong thread)

@TortuousS was considering blasting straight into the mason jar. which is a different game imo.

4 Likes

I find it surprising how many people operate a CLS without a simple gas sniffer. When i got in this game, i even went as far as to buy all fire proof clothing including underwear. Usually my nose will tell me if there is some sort of leak but a gas sniffer can be bought off of amazon for $30.

11 Likes

do a 10-20min soak. at those temps you can soak indefinitely. I’ve done a 3 hour soak just to prove a point. came out amazing puss yellow and liquid af.

4 Likes

Will adding a whatman slow filter help? Getting some the finer things? Metal one it come with sucks, and the fast filter paper probably not enough

I go from dry ice cooler straight out in open, no jacket on this one :persevere:I have one but not enough to run…I get solvent to -45 , goes everywhere any colder… And column at LO reading on IR,I use to get no clear crystals when I soaked

who says our solvent isn’t odorized :stuck_out_tongue:

once upon a time, when working the CLS outdoors, I found that wasps were excellent at detecting even the smallest leaks. any time one came to investigate, I’d monitor it to locate the problem. not once were they wrong.

8 Likes