Needing some advice - Short path related (where did my THC go?)

Hey,

I am not an extractor to begin with. We have an extractor on sight, and a bio chemist. But I am wanting to see if I can gain some knowledge from someone, about what might be going on.

We have a G3 SERIES SHORT PATH from lab society.

We have took c02 extract and made it into crude, this extract tested at 60% THC before.

We have then ran it through our distillation, and it came back with 40%.

They did decarb it (in the short path) - we have made several cuts from the material.

Here is the lab results we got back from a R&D
If you have any questions, please let me know. But I am really trying to help, and see if I could get some information for myself.

Without any more info than provided it’s going to be hard to answer that question. Can you give a few data points. Mainly how long the run was, max temp reached, and vac level?

Completely shooting in the dark but it sounds like a serious vac leak paired with an inpatient operator who just went for the moon on temps

7 Likes

Sure - I will talk to the bio chemist today and gather this information for you.

Did you winterize before distillation?

2 Likes

Awesome. It’s good practice to record data points every 15 mins or if anything changes visually or in some drastic manner. This will help with trouble shooting and is great for training purposes later on :call_me_hand:

Edit: The helpful data points are time, set temp, perceived temp, vapor temp, vacuum level, and stir bar speed

2 Likes

Decarb process is -
270 in a oven, over night.

Temps is -
175 vapor
185 flask.

Vacuum is 500 or less micron.

Everything is winterized as well.

That might be your issue. Do you have any crude left over at all that you can test after that decarb process. I like 110c for 2 hours on a magnetic stirring hot plate or stainless stock pot with constant stirring

5 Likes

yes, winterization is done.

Oh we have plenty to mess around with honestly.

Start here: Chromatogram: 3% THC

And follow some of the links contained therein…

If you took fractions, and only had ONE tested, the trivial answer could simply be that you’re looking in the wrong place.

If you’ve wrecked your cannabinoid profile (isomerized), then you need to look at the chromatogram to actually see that.

4 Likes

Do you have any labs of your material pre-decarb and post-decarb.

I’d be interested to see how the numbers compare after being exposed to those temps for that long

1 Like

I have tested all of the fractions. I just only posted the highest. The 40% is the second fraction.

I make terrible distillate....why?

(It’s a link…)

2 Likes

Did you do a Mass balance ?

Are you missing any?

If so you wrecked it. If not, you failed to separate. Grok?

Do you have the chromatograms?

1 Like

I don’t as we sent it off for testing. I guess, I could request those?

You’re gonna need them…

The lab is not going to quantitate stuff they can’t ID. Ideally they should raise their hand and mention when there are large peaks they can’t ID, and if you find that there ARE, having a chat with the lab director about their reporting practices is suggested. Or just finding a new lab if they’re not responsive to suggestions.

We have been lab shopping. I am waiting on some more samples to come back actually from other labs. We have been getting some inconsistent numbers and its frustrating.

In House analytics Early rather than late…

Chromatograms or it didn’t happen!

2 Likes

Chances are: Isomerization of Co2 extracted Crude