Need gummy recipe (recipe inside)

On the subject of acids, I’ve recently discovered adipic acid is not hygroscopic so might try this as my sour-sugar coating. Though Malic worked a lot better than citric or tartaric.

1 Like

tossed a few ml of sunflower lecithin in the last batch.The onset seemed quicker and stronger. Did make them slightly more bitter.

2 Likes

I’m looking into getting one of these heated tables to mess around with. Would be cool to get this kind of “boutique” edible medicated.

4 Likes

Which recipe do you use

Well, laugh if you want, but I followed @MillerliteRN recipe and revised it a little. I measured everything but the extra gelatin and disty by eye, LOL.

I also kinda goofed and just mixed everything up in a double boiler setup all at once, besides when i added the distillate mixed with 20ml pg. Dumped that in, cooked it on low temp stirring for 30 mins and filled the molds up with the ketchup bottle tech. Cooled for 1 hour in fridge, let sit for 1 hour -2 hours, toss each gummy in malic acid and sugar mix, and then letting dry again . May have to coat them again as they are sweating a little

5 Likes

Might as well drop my old one pot recipe and actually contribute to the forum. I used from 2015-2019 for smaller batch sizes and to give to patients wanting to make their own instead of overpaying at the dispensary.

Still use it on occasion but it forces you to rely on jello mixes which limits your flavor choices.

This is going to be a straight copy and paste from my notes so it will probably have some spelling errors.

One pot gummy recipe (KOR+)

Notes before starting : Using measuring cups will work but won’t be accurate for proper dosing so I recommend weighing unless it’s for personal rec use.
This makes me 150 pieces at 1.1ml per piece.
For best emulsion use a sonicator/homogenizer but for home scale use an immersion blender, it works but you risk hotspots.
Mix the gelatine into water as cold as possible.
Gram weights are accurate to .005g.

When properly dried they will last at room temp (70-80f) without melting. Once dried properly they will last a minimum of 3months in a ziplock at room temp, 4-6months in a hermetically sealed mylar at room temp, 12-24months hermetically sealed in fridge temps (32-38f). (Longer if using a wax coating like certicoat.) (Past that they get very hard/stale)

1 pack jello (85g) (jolly rancher & normal work best)
4 packages of knox gelatine (29g 225bloom gelatin)
¼ cup sugar (52.5g)
½ cup ice cold water (105g)
½ cup corn syrup (105g).
1-2 tsp citric acid (5-10g to taste)
4g lecithin (soy, sunflower, etc)
3g maltodextrin (optional)
1 ml/cc LorAnne mold inhibitor (potassium sorbate and water)
1-2.5ml flavoring (to taste per flavor)
¼ tsp (1g) mct/lct oil per 1g of distillate

As a general rule, the amount of carrier oil in your formulation should somewhat exceed that of the cannabis extract or isolate. 50 – 60% of LCT/MCT in the oil phase is generally sufficient to prevent Ostwald ripening as well as to help achieve the smallest droplet size sure homogenization.

COATING

1-2tbs citric acid
1 cup sugar
2tbs corn starch (optional)

Process
Place molds on a baking tray (spray with mct unless using starch molds)

Mix your mct (or carrier oil of your choice) with your distillate in a jar with a lid (I put in a toaster oven at 185f to warm it)

Mix corn syrup and very cold water

Very slowly add knox gelatine to the water mixing till thick and no clumps remain then let sit for 20-30 minutes at room temp.

Add jello and let sit for 5minutes

Add sugar and maltodextrin mixing vigorously until mixed. Will be slightly thick but will get thinner when stirred.

Put into a pot and warm on medium low till just under simmering (95-105f) for 5mins then increase temp to medium till it has gone clear/runny (195f)

(DO NOT LET IT BOIL 200f+)

lots of clumps/foam mean you didn’t mix the gelatine properly. Try colder water, slower mixing of the gelatine, or both but some is to be expected. Nobody is perfect.

add mold inhibitor

(Add dyes if making opaque gummy)

Pour into tall slender container or allow to cool in pot (slender container optional but gets the best results)

wait for any clumps/foam to solidify (150-160f) then skim into sink of running hot water

Add flavors + acids

(Reheat to steady 160f)

Add the lecithin to the oil while stirring

Add your medicated oil and mix with sonicator or immersion blender (3-5mins depending on batch size)

Pour into molds then put into fridge for at least 2h preferably 5h

Toss in coating and let air dry for 2-3 days (I dry in a room at 20-30% humidity and 70° f with fans blowing over the gummy directly)

IF NEEDED repeat coating and dry for another day but I’ve never had to.

5 Likes

My money is on the sugar completely being pulled into the bears before 24 hours pass - you can see them pulling in water in the picture.

What’s the humidity in the room they are drying?

1 Like

shit , it’s already happened. I think i coated them too early. I also didn’t add as much sugar as I should have but not gonna cry over spilled milk. like I only used corn syrup and no sugar at all actually . they still taste good because the jolly rancher flavor and it includes sugar itself

what should I do? I dunno the humidity but it’s not very low . I’m just letting them air dry in the basement right now

1 Like

If they are already melting you are probably fucked regardless but the basement is last place I would set them to “dry” unless you are in a desert. You didn’t cook down enough, too much water left.

3 Likes

fuck it we shall see how it goes with them being out the next couple days. Not a big deal , only a 200x batch of 1 flavor … I’m sure i can salvage them even if they aren’t gonna be the best compared to a perfected gummy.

Let them set up in the fridge for longer so they set up and start to dry while cold.
Coat them in a big bowl of sugar mix so they get a heavier coating, excess gets knocked off in handling/while bagged up.
Check your humidity levels, if it’s too humid the sugar mix will absorb moisture from the air

Did you bring your sugar stage up to proper temps?

I know i didn’t make them right but I have a hard time believing they are fubar. If they aren’t usable in a couple days though then that sucks

Having the sugar portion at the right temp is how you know how much water is left, as more water is boiled off the temp raises. This batch is probably going to be a melted mess that you’ll toss but you can try recoating if you’re deadset on trying to save it.

1 Like

I cooked them all fucked up and didn’t even add the sugar just the corn syrup. jello mix, extra gelatin, pg with distillate in it, and citric acid all in one pot and just stirred it for 30 mins in a double boiler then poured them .

It was my first try and i kinda just winged it after brushing through multiple recipes .

at some point the water has to dry off these puppies and i’ll coat them again. not trying to lose profit off 200 gummies if i cant

like I said it’s not gonna be a work of art like some of the gummies here but if it can be eventually packaged, dosed right and last a month that’s good enough for me

Try making the same flavor in a batch 3 or 4x size and cook the sugar portion to 115c then cool before adding to gelatin. Remelt the batch you already made and combine all.

Only thing that might mess it up is the malic coat but if you leave the acid portion out of the 2nd batch it might be ok. Also should add buffer for the citric acid next time.

2 Likes

If I leave these ones out for a few days they will eventually dry out though right?

If your environment is actually drying them then yeah they’ll dry out. The texture won’t be desirable since you didn’t cook your sugars enough. Too much water makes too soft so after you dry them to anything bearable they are hard and breaks into bits as you chew instead of chewy like a gummy should.

Best advice I’d give is pick a recipe and stick to it, changing a few small things can get you drastically different results. Larger batches are easier to deal with too & you lose a smaller % to loss (the small amount stuck to the pan, bottles, etc)

If it was me I’d grab a big bowl and a few boxes of powdered sugar. Dump all the gummies and sugar in a bowl and stir every few hours to keep them from clumping or sticking together. The powdered sugar will essentially form a hard clear layer of sugar after a day or two making these gummies into jelly beans gummys :slight_smile:

yea they are melting bad right now, the sugar is all gone and saturated . I’m just gonna keep them out longer . gotta save these babies. rather not have to eat all 200 by myself lmao

i’m gonna make some proper batches with more flavors in the next couple days here. gonna try reducing water and adding a lil bit more gelatin.