Liquid diamonds is just distillate, change my mind

Not all diamonds are equal, if done properly there is no “spectrum”, its just THCa. The addition of Terpenes (be it either botanical or cannabis derived) is strictly for flavor and smell. it does not effect the THCa itself.

The “yellow stuff” is flavonoids and is not fundamentally required to perform crystallization of THCa.

3 Likes

But all distillate is equal? Hasn’t this been my point… not all crystals are equal in the same regard…

Honestly this whole “conversation” is on the spectrum.

I miss the old days when the argument was whether live rosin or live resin was better while people were still trying to define exactly what those word’s implied. Funny how these arguments only pop up when there’s a big shift in marketing/market demand.

Ha, yeah…pretty much.

So I make the “liquid diamonds” and yeah some of it is marketing mumbo jumbo. Sometimes I just decarb our isolate (we use a short path), but sometimes you have contaminants in 'em and we carry it over since it’s faster and easier to do it that way than dissolving and filtering and recovering solvent.

But is it “distillate”? Some of this is just a dose of my $.02 but “distillate” is both a descriptor and a specific thing. Yes, the term refers to distilled cannabinoids, but when you’re buying ‘distillate’ wholesale you expect a pretty specific thing. ~90-94% THC, yellow to amber, and usually a fairly distinctive odor (though hopefully fairly mild). It’s usually distilled from crude, usually Ethanol processed but not always, and doesn’t always have the best market rep.

Liquid diamonds, at least the way we make 'em, test anywhere from 97-99.5% THC (the remainder being whatever other cannabinoids came along for the ride. They’re always bang close to 100% cannabinoids by weight, and are water clear or close enough as to not make a difference. Even if it’s a distilled product, I don’t consider it, nor market it as, distillate. It’s not. They’re liquid diamonds.

“Hold on now” you say, but you just said it, you distill them! Sometimes, yes, but not always, but not everything that is distilled is distillate. If I take my HTE and distill out waterclear terps, are those distillate? They’re distilled! If I distill off my cleaning ethanol to recycle it, am I cleaning my system with distillate?

Anyway, just my opinion, but distillate is distillate, and liquid diamonds are something else. Higher grade, higher purity, less odor, and they can/should be differentiated from distillate…even if you distill 'em over.

They sure are a joy to distill though. Almost no volatiles/head fractions, no tail cut, hell I can run my flask down to damn near dry. Easy mode.

8 Likes

Distyless

6 Likes

SoHeadddddy

2 Likes

We’re getting so deep into semantics about whether melted diamonds is a form of distillation itself. Kind of seems like splitting hairs for the customer base that proudly declares they don’t smoke hot dog water. By its basic definition, if the thc is vaporized then recondense, well it seems to fit under a type of distillation. I guess if you’re extremely careful not to vaporize any thc while decarbing and
But again, it’s this whole “the right way we do it vs the wrong way they do it”. comparing yourself to the weakest doesn’t mean you are strong.

Maybe melting diamonds is the best way to make pure THC… does anyone really want pure thc?

its not though. because you arent distilling anything. melting doesnt equal distilling.

Yes its by far the quickest route for us and yes a LOT of people want pure thc, do you not want pure thc?

12 Likes

I don’t … :joy:. Even my bubble hash reflects the unique effects of different cultivars. My personally hunted cuts:

QAR- racy , energetic, anxiety inducing but motivating, zero body/muscle relaxation

Tiki- head is a sack of bricks. Eat, sleep, rinse repeat. Neck muscles melt.

Why would I want pure thc?

2 Likes

I think for the sake of this discussion, hes saying don’t you want a more pure starting material.

It’s assumed the disty/melted diamonds are gonna be formulated with hte or terps or whatever.

(could be wrong, but barely anyone smokes straight thc)

2 Likes

That is correct. What’s better, Pure THC mixed with live resin terps or disty mixed with the live resin terps. THe liquid diamond version has better color, clarity, and is a neutral base to put terps in. The distillate always has that ‘disty’ smell/taste even if it’s covered up.

3 Likes

…yes? I mean by itself, no not so much…but for use as a formulatory ingredient it’s far superior for many applications. The vapes we make 100% slap and they’re all live resin terps mixed with decarbed diamonds. I never heat my HTE layer up at all, purge cold to ND for solvent in about 15 minutes, homogenize and blend cold with the decarbed diamonds, never denature or change the terps and the decarbed diamonds are the perfect neutral base to vape with.

1 Like

So when I was melting thca, mine turned purple really quickly if I didn’t mix it with hte.

Made a thread about it awhile ago, but never really confirmed it was just me or other people as well.

So, am I the only one? Was my stuff not cleaned up enough and has hte on it still?

3 Likes

I personally would prefer to smoke thc that was diamonds->decarb->distilled over diamonds->deccarb

3 Likes

The diamonds I decarbed turned purple

4 Likes

That looks like oxidization to me. Your product appears to have super high purity, meaning all of the protecting agents that prevent it from oxidizing (which naturally exist in cannabis extract) have been removed, leaving it more susceptable to degredation.

8 Likes

this is what we all say. but I think the OP is asking why

Decarb’ed THCa = THC
Distilled THC = THC

I’m not making a case for either side. I have been curious about this too.
Why is it that “distilled” THC + live resin terps isn’t held in as high of regard as “melted” THC + live resin terps?

1 Like

Yes. They are all “distillates” if they were distilled…

Are they all THC distillate? No. But the end result of any distilled compound is a distillate.
So, any distilled THC is, in fact, THC “distillate.” Doesn’t really matter the source, imo. It’s all just distilled THC.

2 Likes

Difrance is purity
But liquid diamonds in my vocabulary
Is thc-a that does not (so far) can not crystelize yet is still in it s carboxilic form
Yust not in the COOH form
Yust my 0.02 €

4 Likes

Holy shit if the market wanted pure thc there would be one product and not people claiming to have the most refined and purest form of THC that they intentionally stepped on with crude before packaging and including that in the front of the label to brag about it…

Ever hear of full spectrum cocaine? This isn’t a discussion about the best and most efficient method to produce the least adulterated thc. That would actually be an interesting discussion with how quickly the industry changes, but a lot of this is purely a result of tends and a lot of speculation… Raw diamonds once were more desirable than any rosin. Distillate was even king for a day claiming the be the purest. Look at how quickly strains come and go, some come back agai but most are lost. It’s consumers seeking an infinite amount of options on a fairly limited product compared to their expectations.

Unless I’m a fool and the other a liar, 95%+ TAC distillate isn’t unheard of on a regular basis, I guess I should include when done right…. Yellow tinted sugar clumps are far more common than crystal clear diamonds that are generally the result if multiple recrystallizations and filtrations, but without tests and even with tests this is all largely pointless speculation. “This distillate tastes about 8.5% less TAC than the DECARBED diamonds”

When people start talking about wanting raw and uncut thc(aside from buying bulk distillate ironically) maybe this would make sense…