I make terrible distillate....why?

I know what I did with the heating bath wiring.
I did the math on it, at 240v it should be pulling 13A, 80% of 20 amps is 16A…so I have it on 12 gauge wire with a 20A breaker.

This should have been ok if the heating bath really is only 3000W, and since it’s on a pid it really should be less of a problem.

it’s just weird sometimes in that I can use all day without issue, and sometimes after just a short while it’ll keep popping the breaker…likely when there’s something causing the heat to be pulled away from the water faster than it can be heated up.

1 Like

I can say this now, after having gotten results back on several different samples, that using carbon, bleaching clays and bentonite with trim that was tested clean and cold filtering through slurry cakes aswell as going full bore with hot condenser tech that I have got very potent, clean product in one pass. I’m making sure that I go very low and slow together with separating fractions with the vacuum take off adapter. Color means very little to me after this. Don’t let the hype fool you. Just cause it is dark in volume doesn’t mean it’s bad.

6 Likes

Rougelab, quick question as I was looking back at this getting ready to scrub.

Are you saying I should be scrubbing the crude unfiltered bho? or is the carbon scrub done after filtering out the waxes while the bho is still in solution with the ethanol?
Because I was thinking that if I boiled it at 90C in my flask, I’d be boiling of a shit ton of ethanol.

if you are doing the 90C carbon scrub, you want to do that on your oil, mix the carbon directly into the oil. I would suggest that you fully dewax your extract first, I find that you get better results when fats and lipids have been removed before using adsorptives.

how much carbon would be added per X number of grams?

I’ve got somewhere about 250g of first pass, red, stinky distillate that I’m going to distill again, but it’s such a small amount.

Should I just add like maybe a tsp to it and distill it with carbon in the boiling flask?
I thought carbon, since it’s dust, would end up evaporating with the vapors because it’s so light… I think I had this happen once before but I honestly can’t recall.

Use about 3-5% by weight, so for 250g, 250*.03 is 7.5g of carbon. heat your oil to 80-90C and then pour in your carbon powder bit by bit, folding and mixing it in. some carbon will escape into the air, wear a respirator if you like or just be extra careful. continue mixing for about 15 minutes, or if you have a stirbar, you can just let that mix for you. after 15 minutes, you can take your whole container off heat, let it cool a bit, then mix with ethanol, add 8 parts etoh, so for 250g add about 2L. You could use less, but it will take longer to homogenize. Once homogenized your black (because of the carbon) mixture is ready to be filtered through a media fine enough to capture the carbon, whether you are using DE, celite, a fine frit, or a fine paper filter.

4 Likes

Make sure that you remove the carbon before distiling, because if you have carbon in the boiling flask for your distilation, you will get lots of isomerization, turning your delta9 and cbd into other similar compounds that have different or no effects.

After filtering the carbon out of your ethanol mix and rotoing it down, the oil may appear quite dark. Dont worry, once distillation has removed the last bits of ethanol it should lighten up and you’ll reap the benefits of scrubbing.

Wow, ok, I just realized that’s going to extend what I’m doing now.
I’ve just finished filtering nearly 20L through stage 3…so now I have to roto it, then add carbon and mix at 90C.
Then I have to add another 20L of ethanol, re-filter, re-roto and then distill?? damn.

I gotta get my shit together man

We have been messing around and getting color out of bho in line. That’d make disty a breeze.

Check and see if you can do your scrubbing before getting there

4 Likes

The above teck is sound
Great write up the only thing i want to add is that checking the ph of Any substance to be mixed directly in your oil makes sence
Once You know the acidity of your Carbon
You have a better understanding of consequences
A ph paper IS perfect for dooing this
A shot glas with ethanol and a teaspoon of Carbon Gives a good read
Also When taking out the ethanol after the scrubing When almost al ethanol is removed a Reading off You ph is advised
There must still be Some ethanol/ water in your oil to be able to read the ph
So You know You have a fairly neutral ph oil When starting to distill

1 Like

20liters is a shit load of ethanol for 250 grams of oil
What were You dooing ?

2 Likes

Nice write up Could not have done iT better exelent help🙏

sorry that’s two different things I have going on here.

I’ve got one bit of distillate that I distilled out of some already distilled bho…saved a bunch and squeezed out whatever was left (about 240g). That’s what I’m going to double distill right currently…but it’s just too small of an amount to be sticking into my 10L roto and stuff. So I’m basically just going to distill it again.

I already had about 540g of BHO in ethanol in the freezer that I’ve filtered, and used more ethanol to clean out the bho left in my CLS. The 540G was put into about 6L of ethanol. I actually have probably 5 gallons, however many litres that is, so that’s all been filtered. Now I guess I have to roto that, then add the carbon after the ethanol has been removed and repeat that process.

1 Like

Another thing
I helped a friend a few days back with his gl fittings for a better vacuum
Could not get iT below 350 micron after the cold trap
Ended up gleuing metal hose pillars on the glaswear
Vacuum droped imeadiatly to 45 microns
IT wont win a beauty contest but iT did get the job done

3 Likes

8 Likes

Now that’s SEXY :+1:

1 Like

Wheres my cold trap…