I make terrible distillate....why?

If it wasnt so cold in your parts @Demontrich, Id fly myself up that way for a short MTB trip but i dont think ill be up in MI until it get back around 60F. Id be happy to facetime with ya.

3 Likes

Hè how off were your setpoints compared to @Killavolt
Vac depth mantel temp etc
Where did You stop ?
I have been running diffusion and can t remeber exact numbers
I anyway work a lot with feeling and instinct

2 Likes

@Roguelab Id say he is running about 5-8C hotter on the mantle. His head temp is closer to 10-15c higher than my head temp when i was running. His vacuum is around the same if not a few microns lower than me. When i was pulling my THC i was right around 280-300 micron. @Killavolt seems to be a good 80 micron lower than me.

I see where your going with this @Roguelab; Based on his vacuum level, he should be distilling the THC at a lower heat. I can see where your assesment his vacuum lines are too long and giving different reading then whats happening in the system.

4 Likes

Keep a log book vac depth temps etc
Good learning from that in time
About color bear in mind your product is old color is the main isseu with older pruduct thats a fact
All cleanup s can be done on a first pass
Winterizing and @Beaker his teck
Also @Future had great results with Brine washing with altered ph so acitic ph2 and base ph 12 be aware that You are now working with THC instead of THCa
So Some parts of tech and sop are diffrent

1 Like

Just curious
The destillate When falling often makes a circular landing in the receiving flask
Is iT clockwise or counter clockwise?
Wonder If that is gravatie controled ?
Mine always falls clockwise but i in europe tours Will probably do the same
Maybe someone in south Afrika can chime in see If theygo counter clock wise

7 Likes

I have a video of it coiling in slo motion fro ma long time ago lol.

I may have to shut it down again tonight, I’m pretty much out of dry ice, I just put the last of it into my cold trap bowl and when that starts to get too warm I’ll have to shut it down until I can get more ice tomorrow.

4 Likes

How much so far ?
Dark amber in flask or lighter ?
So far You have done Well :+1::+1::pray::ok_hand::smile:

2 Likes

Dry ice and vac gauge batterys :grinning:

5 Likes

Now that you mention Mobin, I gave him an ounce of not so great distillate I got stuck with to rerun for me, and never heard from him again. Sorry the citric acid method didn’t work out for you.

3 Likes

Its great because the radiation will heat the oil through the glass under vacuuum, just like how the earth gets the suns heat through the vaccum of space.

3 Likes

I actually have a heat lamp bulb I just need to find a lamp somewhere to setup… I may have one kicking around.

How did your last run turn out?

what was your condenser temp in part 23 when you switch to heads/mains?

shit I forgot but I do believe it was right around or just above 160. I switched when I saw the colour of the condensate switch from a thick greenish hue, to a nice yellow.

So far it’s going well, I’m going to pickup some more ice (and a battery if I remember) and hopefully finish it today. I’m still on the hearts.

2 Likes

It just hit me that the infra red wouldn’t denature product because the glass acts as a buffer! More reliable and even heat distribution too! Brilliant!!!

1 Like

you can’t “denature” cannabinoids. you can isomerize or degrade them.

which means breaking or moving bonds.
denaturing is “unfolding”. which does not apply here.

although I guess one could argue…

1 Like

I have since changed my vocabulary! I picked up a ton of bad habits in the unregistered market :sweat_smile: Thank you for your patience and knowledge!!!

3 Likes

no worries, and having posted the all knowing one’s definition, there is wiggle room if you want to use “denature”.

However, isomerize or degrade are the more appropriate terms from a chemistry vocab standpoint.

LOVE this place!!

9 Likes

Good luck today :grinning:
By the way by wraping aluminium foil and insulating your head
The reflux amount go s down make your run faster
Be carefull When tails approach because When there is little reflux the nasty s start Coming early​:pray::sierra_leone::+1:

4 Likes

In My opinion this is trick of the trade worthy :grinning:

2 Likes

This could be the difference in the way mine and @Killavolt temps were slightly different yesterday.

As soon as I knew I had my boiling flask kinda under control. I wrapped it right up with tin foil. I imagine that little bit of insulation is the difference.

I really look forward to using the rope I bought on the next run.

3 Likes