Older material darker oil? Why is this happening?

Build a 6” x 6” MK III terp.
With a 12” or 18” x 1.5” material column.

Recover passively.
Outdoors.
Leave sources of ignition elsewhere

Glacier tanks + BVV will have all the parts. Read up on how to run it.

You’ll need a vacuum pump. And ideally remotely heated circulating hot water. My first circulator was a 120V hot water heater element mounted in 2” black pipe (steel water pipe). Pumped with a small mag drive pump I pulled out of a dumpster.

The PID controller, enclosure, and 40’ of heater hose & insulation probably came to less that $200. Circulated through an insulated keggle I had lying around.

3 Likes

To those saying a machine trimmer means darker extract, that’s not true at all. I’ve been running dry machine trim, trim that the bud was dried before running through a dry trimmer, for a few months now. I’ve been getting consistently gold/yellow, super stable, terpy slabs with yields ranging from 21% to 26.2%. Those returns are higher than any straight nug runs I’ve ever done. I run a CLS and use ~-40 n-butane.

If you use a wet trimmer however, it will be crap every time. From my experiences, I now tell ever grower I work with to vacuum seal the material and store it in a cool place as soon as its dry. I keep it on a deep freezer for at least two days before running too.

3 Likes

have you compared hand trim to machine trim from the same grow op?

I have.
I disagree.
I’m using -40C ethanol (so not apples to apples)

machine trimming breaks open more cells.
which leads to more cell contents in the extract.
at least with cryo-ethanol

4 Likes

Dry trim machine is totally different than machine trim wet as far as end product.

Like cyclopath said above, wet machine trim does indeed break open the cells in the material.

Etoh, BHO fame crappy dark extracts

Would freeze drying the starting material improve the color? Or just degrade cannabanoids? Why doesn’t freezing the material break open cells like freezing lettuce or other leafy greens?

you can denature proteins, because their 3-dimensional structure is both complex & important for their function.

you can degrade or isomerize cannabinoids, but they don’t have enough complexity to their structure to “denature”.

http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/568denaturation.html

as for freezing cells rupturing them and making them leak, yep, it happens. if you’ve cured first, it’s less likely. If you’re after live resin, then getting it frozen fast, and not thawing, keeps some percentage of the cells from rupturing, and most of those ruptured cell contents out of your extraction. or so the theory goes…

4 Likes

I have, the first few runs were hand trim and did not yield as high or have as nice of a color. I know the yields went up slightly because the trimmer took more Keef off, but it was significantly better to the point that his brother started using the same dry trimmer and achieved better results.

Thank you for the good advice. I appreciate it. I am planning on fabricating a CLS with my income tax return.

2 Likes

Thanks you guys!

1 Like

where do you guys source your stainless parts for that cheap? I’ve been piecing together a CLS for myself lately but I’m going to end up in the 500+ range for something somewhat small (<1lb runs)

2 Likes

That’s about right. You’ll end up spending the most on valves. Don’t go cheap as possible there. Your steel as long as it will pressure test, will be just dandy. Shopping between OSS, XD, BVV, and there’s a guy out there “buds hydro” he can get you steel for cheap. And actually build you a wee lil system for the price range you’re entertaining.

2 Likes

very cool, yeah the valves I have on the list are the most expensive part in the build lol

2 Likes

good! decent valves that don’t leak or fall apart is mission critical. I’d say bad things about the valves on some of the equipment I’ve purchased, except that the companies involved have up’ed their game at this point and I’d rather say nice things than bitch.

1 Like

Anyone here familiar using “Best Value Vacs” 1lb CLS? It is going for under a grand on amazon, but I have heard nothing about these guys either way so looking for feedback (good or bad) before dumping a grand into a small setup. As far as size that is all I need. I won’t be running more than a lb at a time.

You have a link

I got my first system from them. It’s all Chinese and not bad, but I would retape and pressure test everything before use. My current system is a combo of parts to fit my needs.

4 Likes

Never purchased anything but parts from them. Have watched them grow from just selling vac gear, and have noted before that you can tell what the extraction industry is doing by what they are now selling. They offer a discount to gang members I believe

2 Likes

Freeze under vac… If you can’t freeze fast enough

2 Likes

it depends on the machine that was used, wet trimmers vs dry trimmers.

OLD MATERIAL QUESTION
Ok guys been toll processing OLD Material lately and one thing I’m running into non crc is it doesnt matter how cold I run I’m picking up a waxy concentrate. I expect it to be dark but waxy also?

Any else notice that w age not only are we getting darker color but something is going on to wax up the oil some. Maybe oxidization.

Anyways idk if happens every time but I’ve just noticed the older the starting material the more waxy fatty it is. Anyways thanks all just curious what is happening