How To Safely Pump Freezing Acetone or Isopropyl with a Fishtank Pump?

How do you safely move around freezing Isopropyl or Acetone with a fishtank pump? What’s the best magdrive pump with the most pumping power that can pump those two when used as a cryo fluid for jackets?

Links to pumps would be nice. Alternative methods and cryo fluids are welcome for chilling jackets.

2 Likes

Acetone is pretty much not gonna happen. Also, I find that moving a fluid creates heat which is counter intuitive.

8 Likes

What’s a good heat exchange fluid that can be pumped at a high flow for relatively cheap?

Whats your goal temp and is it for condensing or just for getting subzero ?

1 Like

Condensing alcohol with a dephlegmator.

I wonder… Would pumping super saline thru a coil submerged in an Acetone and dry ice slurry freeze or would it maintain the freezing cold and be a viable cryofluid🤔

That might work, with a high flow pump.

If it were me, I’d stage multiple condensers. Your hottest condenser should have your alcohol and crude solution as the condensing fluid. This serves as a preheater as well. The middle stage condensers are for water or glycol chilling. Finally the last stage could be your dry ice and acetone. With alcohol im sure you will find that dry ice is overkill.

2 Likes

What I have in mind is to build a stainless frankenstill and then if I like how it works I plan on making a multiple condensing falling film style unit.

I have a 5L rotovap and I usually use super saline and it works well for what it is.

2 Likes

your best bet for your scale is the dred pirate eco pump. Otherwise grainger has one thats powered by a noisey air compressor for maybe 6-700 bucks

2 Likes

At what pressure?

You can use 10C water if you’re running at atmosphere. You can even use 30C if you’ve got enouGh surface area and flow.

I’ve posted the bp curve data for ethanol a couple of times. Not gonna dig it up right now.

“Antione equation” should probably hit.

Edit: ethanol bp antione - Google Search :wink:

Cause I was curious…

6 Likes

Water

You could ask the all knowing one for a stainless mag drive submersible pump…

At -70C we’ll just pretend explosion proof isn’t a big deal.

just use water. it only needs to be 1 degree below your boiling point.

4 Likes

Have you recovered 60C ethanol into an open container?

It works, but it’s not ideal. Certainly not a trick I’d recommend for production.

Least that has been my experience (and is one reason I like thermoprobes on the recovered solvent stream as well as head, boiler, and coolant temps).

1 Like

2 condensers ftw

Have you seen the Yellowstone ffe?

1 Like

Not in action.

Have had more than one condenser failure.

Running a dark hose 50ft over asphalt in the summer taught me both delta T and flow rate parts of the equation quite effectively thank you very much :joy::rofl::joy:

Edit: at 60C the vapor pressure of ethanol is 350mm Hg which might actually put you above the UEL at equilibrium. still seems like a bad idea.

2 Likes

I use my roto under vacuum with a diaphragm pump. I distill at 35°c for yellow eho destined for the vacuum oven and 70°c for rso destined for capsules - personal use-. I fill a 5 gallon bucket ¼ way full with 3 lbs of Mortons iodized salt and water. Then I drop 3 1/2 lbs into the bucket fill it with more water wait until it stops bubbling. Then I stir the shit out the water and pump it thru my rotovap. The water never froze on me yet like this and I don’t think the pump I use on that is a magdrive.

Edit: this is what I use for my super saline bath pump for my rotovap

1 Like

The most interesting thing though is the water turns this weird discolored yellow. I’ve also dropped a whole 5lb brick into the salt and then filled it with water and it was all discolored yellow.

Maybe it is the iodine in the salt?