Chilling jacketed solvent tank w/o chiller

So I have a jacketed solvent tank that has a 3mm thick jacket and a 5mm thick inside tank. I didn’t buy a chiller and don’t want to cough up that kind of money right now. Could I send liquid CO2 through the jackets to chill the tank and just bleed out the top of the jacket? I’m worried about CO2(dry ice) building up and preventing the gas to escape out the top and building pressure. Would nitrogen be another option?

I see there is a DIY chiller hack with the deep freeze but I would rather keep that as a last option.

If anyone has tried this before and could give some insight, that’d be awesome.

Sketch of the actual tank.

No absolutely not. 3mm will explode

I think the bizzy is 6mm inside and outside jacket

Looks by the drawing you went with cema, I would not recommend you try it at all

5 Likes

use dry ice/iso and a pond pump from elsewhere.

5 Likes

Yes be sure to run the “double boiler” looking method on the iso.

2 Likes

I saw some things like that but I was worried about the pump creating a spark. Would any type of pond pump work or is there a certain type to get?

Thank you! I ask these questions so I don’t blow myself up.

3 Likes

80proof vodka won’t create fire risk. Prbly on good to -20 cooling tho
Iv herd magnetic drive pump is what u want

Yep. Doesn’t belong in the room with your CLS, which probably doesn’t belong inside.

See:Cold ethanol pumps for an exploration of more appropriate pumps.

The 8gpm fuel pump documented there would get the job done.

Can’t currently locate the original attribution for using the ECO brand mag drive pumps…might be in the thread linked above or one of those linked to/from it.

It relies on a couple of things

1. at dry ice temps, ethanol is really hard to set on fire
  2. with dry ice, you’ve displaced the O2, so no fire
  3. even if you got ethanol(iso/methanol) in the pump, it’s submerged, so no O2, so no fire…(see 2 above).
3 Likes

You’ll find your answers here.

1 Like