How To Safely Pump Freezing Acetone or Isopropyl with a Fishtank Pump?

well then…
you distill at ~2 psi (or 26in/100mm Hg)

http://ddbonline.ddbst.com/AntoineCalculation/AntoineCalculationCGI.exe

and you are currently condensing in the -5 to -20C range

what is wrong with your current setup that you want to melt a pond pump into a gooey mess with acetone?!?

1 Like

I feel it’s not fast enough. But again it’s not for the rotovap it’s for the future dephlegmator I plan on getting. But I plan on testing running the super saline thru a coil submerged in Acetone and dry ice and see how cold it comes out.

Well now I’m definitely gonna try the super saline thru a coil submerged in Acetone and dry ice.

1 Like

Just got the coil configured. Can’t wait to try out the idea.

3 Likes

Im not Hvac dude, but would it benefit you to make one valve smaller than the other ? for example 1/4" in 1/2" out ? Would a little ventury help cooling ? Rather than half close a valve ?

Edit: ffs, forget all of that :point_up: im an idiot, your using a liquid… lolol

4 Likes

Honestly i was thinking venturi vac plus gravity drain

3 Likes

At least I’m not as stupid as I thought lolol

2 Likes

Have you ever heard of vapour pressure

No. No you haven’t

boiling point is completely dependent on pressure.

no shit

1 Like

Update. Still haven’t tried it out yet. I had a cool idea. But I want to know if it’s safe or what to change.

So you know those bucket coils? Well I thought to myself what if I attach the coil to a hemi lid. Have a prv and gauge on the lid a handle for purge just in case of emergencies. And the top would go to a cold trap going to a diaphragm vacuum pump.

The dry ice would be dropped into the top the lid would be placed on and the vacuum pump would be used to lower the pressure of the dry ice and Acetone vapors from building too much and triggering the prv. This to make sure no Acetone vapors go anywhere at any time.

Your input fluid would enter the top of the lid go into a coil in dry ice and Acetone and would exit the lid.

Essentially would leave and enter a base/modified collection pot that would be a chiller.

you’ll have way better luck increasing your line/jacket port size and pumping isopropyl faster than to try acetone.

2 Likes

No, that contraption is to pump dry ice cooled super saline thru a coil that’s inside a collection pot and that coil is submerged in Acetone and dry ice. The top of the base has a line to vacuum the Acetone vapors out of the base thru a cold trap to lower the vapor pressure.

What I wanna know is, is this a safe idea. Cause I know closing up dry ice and Acetone is a bomb. (I mean shit close dry ice in a plastic bottle alone and it’ll explode) but the lid would have a prv.

I just wanna know if trying to make a sealed bucket coil - type thing like I drew out, to make sure no Acetone vapors go into the atmosphere is a safe idea?

my understanding is that your “super saline” will freeze at around -22C. which is well above the temps a dry ice slurry will give you.

2 Likes

I read that it depends on salinity.

Do you have a curve?

I suggest a different heat transfer fluid.

2 Likes

Isopropyl is more forgiving than acetone for gaskets and such

3 Likes

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200510835_200510835?&cm_mmc=Google-pla&ds_e_ad_type=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBJTha8cBJjBmH34-3VKAthOsemP4utufyUxMzFE7_E5GocXoTFzY8hoCxo0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_campaign=Roughneck&utm_content=24925&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20>%20Fuel%20Pumps%20%2B%20Nozzles&utm_source=Google_PLA

?

1 Like

Two entirely different solvents, one you can pump with most things plastic, and viton or neoprene for seals. The other (acetone), everything needs to be ptfe if you want anything to last. Finding a ptfe or peek magnetic drive centrifuge pump would probably be safest and best for longterm use. Ptfe line stainless braided hose for any flex lines of course. If youre not interested in longevity, obviously try whatever, but my solution for acetone has always been ptfe or peek

2 Likes

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/pps-magnetic-drive-pump-8-5-gpm-or-14-6-ft-1-3-hp/0708512

2 Likes