How to distill solvents

Can You get to leave those behiind When boiling off destilling your gas
Won those yust travel back along with your lighter carbons ?

No, this is why we distill the gas between 80-85F. The boiling points of those heavier Hydrocarbons are over 85F so when we only distill gas at a certain temp. It leaves those heavier gases in the collection. while the clean gas is collected into the recovery.

Like the boiling point of Pentane is like 96F. So you can see how staying below 85F keeps those volitles in the collection.

11 Likes

yes, the tanks have oil too.

8 Likes

No test results other than mine includes a test for non-volatile residue (the so called mystery oil.) Itā€™s all a con game. There are ways to test for it, but no downstream analytical lab performs it.

I realize that sounds like bodacious brag, but itā€™s not.

The ASTM Standards spell out how to test. The original (still used industrially way up the supply chain) is to take a 100mL liquid sample, allow it to boil off, and weigh whatā€™s left, thatā€™s ASTM D2158. There are a couple of modern tests, ASTM Standards D7756 and D7728, but afaik no one employs them yet.

I paid to obtain the ASTM Standards, they are posted up in full at my ā€˜mystery oilā€™ thread at ICMAG Forums, hereā€™s a direct link to the post with the D2158 Standard, the others and a full explanation of whatā€™s going on is expounded upon in further posts in the thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7682482&postcount=664

How to do your own test on canned refills or tanks is simple and cheap, I hide nothing, itā€™s all there in the thread. BTW, I need financial security immediately (Iā€™m loosing everything come the first of the year, if Sean at Ecogreen, or David at Refined Hydrocarbon solutions, etc. would reach out to me, Iā€™d be glad to do the test on all incoming lots of gas for some supplemental income so I can survive and not have to give everything up, it would be a kind thank you by the community, TIAā€¦)

Link to the full thread:

3 Likes

Does the mystery oil get left behind in the collection pot, and need to be disposed of from collection pot?

2 Likes

Yes. Clean collection as well as possible. Distill again and repeat until you have nothing left to clean from the collection. And get your tank as cold as possible as @Soxhlet suggested.

5 Likes

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome, sir. More than happy to help.

3 Likes

This is the design for our butane trap. It is specifically for capturing butane in the early parts of crude oil distillation. You probably want to use dry ice/cold finger to condense the butane.

Iā€™ve always thought it looked pretty cool.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I followā€¦
A) How much butane are you actually collecting from crude oil?
B) What makes this cold trap selective to butane?
C) How do you transfer the butane to itā€™s appropriate storage container without exposure to atmosphere?
D) Why is there not a PRV? What happens if the source of cold stops/malfunctions, and the butane begins to boil?
E) I see three orifices. Two rounded joints up top and one drain. One of the rounded joints is the coil inlet, and the coil drains from the bottom. Is this the thermal side or the process side of the system? What about the rounded ball joint leading to the ā€œbottleā€ or ā€œcylinderā€?

4 Likes
  1. Like 100 mL butane. Crude oil composition is varied as is processing.
  2. Surface area
  3. The butane is just weighed to determine %composition. Distill butane-> isolate receiver-> weigh ā†’ dump in the parking lot
  4. It isnā€™t meant to be a storage container. It is distilled at atmospheric pressure because the BP is so low so it isnā€™t a closed system until you are weighing it quickly.
  5. There is only two holes. On for butane to enter the trap and then the outlet. Would draw some arrows but I am only on my phone so canā€™t edit that well.

It isnā€™t super relevant to mass butane refining or anything, I just wanted to share what we have. This is for ASTM D2892.

2 Likes

Wanted to make sure I have the process down.

Is this an appropriate sop-

Transfer LPG from solvent source tank into collection pot. Raise solvent tank temperature while lowering collection pot temperature to increase and help flow. Once all solvent is into collection pot, raise temperature to 85f. After temperature is reached, turn recovery pump on and recover solvent from collection pot, transfer into clean solvent recovery tank. Unwanted heavier hydrocarbons will be left behind in collection pot-to be collected and discarded.

Appreciate ANY comment or critic.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see anywhere that you vacuum assist the gas into its destination.

You might wanna vacuum down the destination vessel. Also having those destination vessels fully chilled before transferring the gas makes this process so much easier.

Rather than heating the source tank then chilling. Itā€™s should get your destination tank super cold. Start transfer then heat to prevent unnecessary pressure.

To add to that. If your tanks have a liquid dip tube. I extract and recover threw the liquid side

5 Likes

Thanks killa. Makes sense

1 Like

Iā€™m not an alkane extractor, can someone explain to me why you would need to distill your butane/propane solvent before use?

Thereā€™s a mystery oil(is either residual bad stuff in gas or lube to keep tank from rusting from can plant to filling plant) thatā€™s left in collection pot after running dry runaka no material, some ppl run dry several times to ensure any residuals are left behind in the collection potā€¦ Clean up collection after then your ready

And just to ensure its clean, itā€™s just a dry run w no materialā€¦I run my sieve also, want it no moisture if possible

4 Likes

Interesting. Are there any suppliers who have reliably clean solvent where this is unnecessary?

This is after distilling 2 24# tanks itā€™s not just mystery oils your trying to remove

6 Likes

Can u pay grand instead 200$-300$? Itā€™s redick pricedā€¦I may still distill it

Mystery oil as This is called is one problem the other is purity of gas
@Killa12345 knows the works

3 Likes