How to distill solvents

What kind gas is that ur using, I’ve NEVER seen such

Our units have a secondary evaporator attached to the unit. We load liquid solvent into that sidecar evaporator, and distill it out of that unit. That way any contamination in the pot is distilled out and removed before it ever touches the part of the extractor which handles our biomass or extract.

If you’re having trouble getting solvent to flow, use your recovery pump, if you have one, to assist by sucking vapor out of your evaporator (collection pot), and pumping it back into your recovery tank. If you’re running passively, you can apply heat to your recovery tank or put your collection pot under colder temperatures such as using dry ice.

In general, solvent will always flow from high pressure to low pressure, and from high temperature to low temperature.

2 Likes

Now that is how a professional hashashan loads solvent!!

4 Likes

When you run 24hrs a day you gotta figure out a way to keep those wheels turning! Every minute of down time is lost money.

4 Likes

3 Likes

That one was especially bad because it was 2 tanks but its 99% pure ntane ill have to look at the tank again to see where its from but i wanna say purity cylinder gas from ann arbor welding supply.

Ive been doing it like this for a couple years. Since my collection vessel is rack mounted and a pain to take apart I setup a large “fill” pot that can be simultaneously filling my system while running the normal side without a hiccup

2 Likes

what pressure would you sy is alarming? for that blend

aha! one of those moments of clarity! ty

I would not recomend any presssure over 90 psi on a cls rig with hinge clamps
And not over 120 psi on bolted clamps cls rigs

1 Like

thank you @Roguelab, my storage tank got to 70psi once not while running, my system stays under 35psi using canned solvent, during runs i rarely get into pos pressure

2 mk3 hybrids , all hp clamps,no weak spots,well, maybe my guages, i saw a post on the gram a guy had a guage fail internally, luckily, got me thinking to upgrade those,thoughts?

If you are not sure you can always replace !

1 Like

The gas you’re using is from China and not sourced in the US. I would assume that the label reading 99.95% is inaccurate, but we could only tell that if you had an analysis done on the gas. That high of a concentration is considered medical grade.

Someone mentioned medical grade butane. Medical grade gas does have less ppm of unwanted material. We have found the cost of the medical grade gas compared to the cost of instrument grade and the time it takes to distill instrument grade is not worth the MUCH higher cost.

When butane, propane, isobutane are manufactured at the fracing plant they each are a) made from the same baseline material, and b) are burned off at different temperatures. There are different ppm of material in the gases when manufactured, but if the gas is being manufactured for extraction distilling it once should do the trick. At least with our gas once is plenty. Most of the other ppm in the gases when manufactured are actually propane and isobutane since they’re all made from the same source. The trick for us so you all don’t have to worry about spending hours distilling your gas is keeping the purity level of the gas the same from manufacturing to delivery. This is why we have an interior cleaning method on all our cylinders. We can’t be sure if a client is or isn’t recovering used gas back into our vessels, so every tank every turn gets an interior clean.

Some gases are heavier than others and require more pressure to move out of the tank. Like someone mentioned, propane in this triblend is slowing the process down. Butane usually flies out of the tank while the others are a bit more difficult to move. I agree that you should use dry ice on the vessel you’re moving the gas to. You have to get the receiving tank really cold, and water with ice cubes sometimes won’t do the trick. Slightly heating the holding vessel is a good idea to. Hope everything worked out well for you. Some really good info I saw on these posts.

4 Likes

I’m still researching all about using a CLS and distilling the butane passively.

How are you properly vacuuming out the hose of air before you switch it over to the recovery tank so air doesn’t mix with it?

Also, I do have a CPS VPS6DU pump that I have connected to my Vacuum Oven, so I do have an Ignition Proof pump I can use if needed.

All lines should be vacd down prior to starting.
Do you only have 1 line?

3 Likes

If you don’t have enough lines and valves to leave everything connected and then pull a vac on the lines, you can do what I do in this situation.

For injection: connect the line to your solvent tank, tighten. Connect the line to your column, leave it kinda loose. Crack your valve to your solvent tank very slightly so solvent starts running through the line. Once a little comes out on the loose end, tighten it down. This should flush all of the air out of the line.

For recovery: I do the same thing but from collection to recovery tank and let the gas vapors purge the line before I tighten it on the recovery tank.

It’s not as ideal as pulling vac on the lines as the vac will help suck the solvent / gas to where you want it to go, but it will remove any oxygen from the lines so you don’t end up with air building up in your tank after you’re done.

If you do end up with air in your tank, you can get it nice and cold and burp it off. Air is lighter than solvent gas, so it will be on the top and get pushed out first when you vent.

2 Likes

For injection have it just vacuumed down with the entire system.
For recovery do what he says above. No need to to that of you dont have too.
Or just get anoher hose. I suggest buying another hose and doing it right.

Currently we are looking at getting a 1lb Apollo Top Fill CLS. We don’t run a CLS yet, just open blast which I hate doing.
The extractor base has the ability to have 2 lines hooked up to it.

The only pump available I have is the CPS VPS6DU which is 6 CFM and rated for class 3 refrigerants, it’s not explosion proof, just ignition proof, so it is possible to just hook up the vac to one of the lines. Hook up the other line with the Butane tank with the valve closed, run the vac to clear the air, then close the vac valve and then open the butane tank valve to run the butane in?

The video I used as a reference for distilling the butane was

1 Like

@Killa12345 might have a better option
Not sure for the price is tight but i wouldn t be surprised
Vacuuming down with your recoveery unit is better than nothing but it takes a while

2 Likes