Is it possible to remove mystery oil contamination from slabs?

Also, if anyone has tried to CRC a tainted run I’d be curious to hear about the results. Gonna try to search theforum again and see if i can dig anything up. If not maybe I’ll try it and let you guys know how it goes?

If I’m being honest the science may be a bit above my head. I did do a dab before I started reading so that may play a factor lol. I’ll see if I can find the link and dig it up. I think it was something with the mystery oil (benzene?) Not being water soluble or it was water soluble. That said I think I’m gonna give it a shot. I have read that crc makes good things taste better and bad things taste worse. It would definitely suck if somehow I messed them up even more lol! It would be my first crc run though, I just got everything set up and just need to pick up a nitrogen tank from my local supplier and devise a clever way to pre-wet my filter with my existing set up. It’s definitely an interesting place to start my journey with crc!

2 Likes

Def wish you luck brother! I’d say wait a few days. Likely someone else will chime in before too long.

Crc will not remove mystery oil

4 Likes

Try distilling multiple times rather then once

1 Like

What kinda tanks are you using, stainless or carbon steel?

Thanks for the response, we are definitely gonna redistill the gas and try to clean my solvent tank again. It is hard to clean though, about 4ft tall with a 4" triclamp opening. Out of curiosity do you know why it won’t work? I’m guessing something with the solubility or size of the molecules?

If you cant reach into tour tank to clean it, when its empty pull a full vac on it hook ip a hose to the vapor port and suck in some iso swish it around and dump it out til clean and then run your vac pump on it with both ports open until its dry

1 Like

It’s a large stainless Bhogart tank I think its 17.5 gallons? Bhogart doesn’t stamp tank weights and they use gallons instead of lbs for capacity. Or at least they did. I think I’m gonna start a thread asking for tips on how to clean it because it only has a 4" hole and is pretty tall. The tank I think the gas back flowed into was probably carbon steel though. It was one of those cheap yellow and grey dot lpg tanks.

That’s a great idea! It definitely beats the rag on a broom handle I was using!

Been there, i would empty my tanks bi weekly to remove moisture and whatever else.

1 Like

And to be on the safe side use the liquid port incase you got ahit in there as well

1 Like

Shouldn’t mystery oil evaporate at a high enough temp in a vacuum ?

Its mystery oil, without knowing what type of oil it is you cant assume it would or would not. but it likely wont unless you increase the temp and increase the vacuum significantly.

1 Like

sure…

Probably after the cannabinoids and before the fats or waxes.

Assuming they are lubricants…

Which is why the consensus answer is “distill it”.

2 Likes

This. The slab is oil. At some point, you are just trying to get rid of oil from oil. The reason vacuum ovens are great for cannabis processing is that they can get rid of volatiles in a safe way that doesn’t overprocess the sample material.

@Graywolf is the expert on this subject and he’s got his finger on the pulse of the current issues with the solvent supply.

This thread is a good reminder of all the important things we don’t know when we work without QC and in-house testing. How do we keep it craft and keep it safe? There’s got to be a way.

1 Like

No. Here’s what we found when we analyzed it:

4 Likes

Given that the link lacks the original analysis pictures, here they are:

7 Likes

Thank you @Graywolf!

2 Likes

…and to @SkyHighLer

3 Likes