Highest Grounds Coffee (Cannabinoid Infused Coffee!) Review

So members of Future 4200 love their coffee. I haven’t seen a lot of innovation in the food and drink space until I came across Highest Ground Coffee that makes infused coffee pods.

They work in Keurig machines (or an Aeropress in my case). The cups are plastic free, compostable and are made in the USA.

All of their products are dark roast.

• Energetic Jane is a mix of CBD/thcv for about 22/8 respectively.
  • CBDa Jane is 80mg CBDa
  • HHCp Jane is 8mg HHCp (This one is very active and a creeper)
  • Original Jane is 30mg Delta-9 THC. Try it before smoking!

I brewed up the CBDa cup as soon as I got it and added whole milk. I believe 195 degree hot water activated it. The taste was pleasant with no hint of weed or chlorphyll. My spirit was lightened my back has become less creaky after just an hour. This is tasty relief.

I don’t have any criticisms. Perhaps a light roast variation? Different strengths? What he has on his website is a solid initial value proposition.

I am going to put the others to the test after working hours. So far, I definitely recommend some Highest Grounds Coffee!

(Thanks @tokesandtinkery!)

20 Likes

I’d agree with that. The coffee tasted really good. Actually like it better than my normal coffee :rofl:

Another plus: we ran some through the ol’ GC at @MedicineManHempCo lab b.c. I was curious if the following cup would be spiked at all.

The tests we did definitely showed the correct amount of cannabinoids as advertised but also showed the cup following the dosed cup wouldn’t contain cannabinoids.

The concern was accidental dosing of grandma but turns out it’s a non issue :call_me_hand:

Great job @tokesandtinkery and team

8 Likes

@AgTonik @ky_cbd did you open the pods to see the grounds? If so, what did you see?

Infused coffee/espresso (pod or free grounds):

1. Make non-aquous nanoemulsion (proper formulation is essential for nano size in the beverage)
  2. Add to grounds (pre-flavored or not) for the desired dosage per pod or cup (if using coffee fitler or espresso machine)
    • Commerically, spray-drying the non-aquous nanoemulsion before adding may be useful.
  3. Make pod (or add emulusion to the grounds in the coffee fliter or espresso machine)
  4. Make coffee or espresso

DIY pod with coffee filter:

DIY pod with pods:

3 Likes

Yupp we investigated them pretty thoroughly. Don’t wanna spill the beans on how it’s done b.c. it’d just be a guess from my end, and not my place to say. Maybe the man himself can clarify.

4 Likes

Upfront warning! Beware taking the Original Jane 30 the first time if you plan on smoking with it… One cup is almost better than a tolerance break.

Wow thank you both for the review and comments! It’s been a long road getting here, somewhere around here you’ll find the thread that started the journey. I developed COPD last year and my breathing has taken a turn. I wasn’t about to give up on cannabis though and took it as a challenge. I studied what made smoking so effective and the challenges of traditional edibles. That lead me to nano emulsions, tried a little over 40 systems, some would work on THC/CBD but immediately crash on CBG or CBNo. I finally developed one that had minimal taste and produced an entirely transparent and stable nano emulsion.

Developing the technology wasn’t enough, incorporating it into a medium like coffee is challenging. Fine tuning spray dryer and testing out freeze drying, it’s a tremendous amount of work and I hope you’ll forgive me for not going into greater detail at this time. The end result is what I needed for myself, a technology that allows me to formulate cannabinoids to my desired effect, and get them orally with onset ~ 10 minutes or so.

I want to thank @ky_cbd and @MedicineManHempCo for bringing up the question and doing some secondary analysis on the coffee extract, it matches my own testing - a full extraction of the targeted cannabinoids happens in 8oz and there is no secondary contamination.

This is my first attempt at a product in this space and I’m very proud of what I’ve accomplished if only for myself. Most rewarding is the formulations are getting great reviews from real people. Even without their dopamine boosting feedback, I need this coffee, and I drink it every single day. It gives me better control over my medicating experience. Having made Energetic Jane has been the best thing for my ADHD and I haven’t been tempted to use meds since taking it.

Thank you again for the kind words!!

Likewise I’d really appreciate any feedback on the website, I’m barely an amateur and happy for the feedback!

18 Likes

All good. I understand.

Based on his past comments, I would guess he’s using a SNEDDS formulation. Or maybe a su-SEDDSs (supersaturated SEDDS) formulation considering they solve many of the primary issues with liquid SEDDS. S-SEDDS (solid SEDDSs; or solid su-SEDDSs) also solve some of the main issues with liquid SEDDS and are typically in tablet form but can be utilized with any substrate that can incorporate the SEDDS or su-SEDDS, like coffee grounds.

I tend to disfavor liquid SEDDS due to its inherent issues once it’s released into the gut (regarding particle size, etc., which is poorly studied) and what happens during prolonged storage. su-SEDDS are very interesting because they resolve those issues. But, overall, the main reason I disfavor SEDDS of any formulation is they typically require >40% surfactants, which are generally synthetic (with associated toxicity issues at higher concentrations). However, biosurfactants are becoming more common with SEDDS.

Whatever it is, it’s awesome to see one of our own succeeding so well! Congratulations @tokesandtinkery :metal: :metal:.

Again, congrats! That’s an outstanding achievement. It’s very impressive! I am going to send my mom your CBD formluation because she loves coffee and I want her to increase her CBD intake.

Do you list the ingredients on the package per label rules and laws? I’m asking because if you’re using synthetic surfactants, IMO people should be able to make an informed decision if they want to ingest them.

Lastly, for clarity of terminology and product, if you’re using a SNEDDS formulation, that’s not the same as a nanoemulsion. They are entirely different beasts, even though they both use the phrase “nanoemulsion.” The former is a low-energy process using a very high surfactant load and is thermodynamically stable, while the latter is a high-energy process using a very low (relevantly) surfactant load and is kinetically stable. Both can be transparent, translucent, or opaque (typically, 10-200 nm particle size), but the important part is what happens upon dilution into water, coffee, juice, etc.

4 Likes

Ordering some today!
curious, is the high-flow process of a keurig necessary to proper extraction of the goodies, or can I just dump one of these into a pourover/drip brewer and be good to go? i don’t own a keurig as i abhor the landfill waste they generate.
sub-question: do you plan on offering non-pod options for sale for those who feel similarly? and/or perhaps medium- or light-roast options for those of us with such preferences?

thanks, and well done! banger of an idea

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the questions and feedback!

Yes we list the ingredients on the package as well as on the website. Yes, we use synthetic non-ionic surfactants.

The package itself comes with 4 stickers and to my knowledge meets all requirements for a food product. The stickers are: Warning/FDA disclosure, Instruction / Ingredient / Contact sticker, packaging sticker (product, # pods, weights, etc). Each pod is individually labeled with the formulation, 21+ and THC! Warning logos, along with the QR code linking back to the product with its COA.

The official response is yes, for a consistent experience and dosing cup to cup a k-cup maker is required and really any will do. That said, I was told yesterday someone ordered some, ripped off the lid, punched a hole in the bottom and then did a pour over with boiling water. They have good things to say but I cannot guarantee the experience or dose without the maker.

I agree, I abhor the amount of single use anything created by cannabis and ends up in a landfill. K-cups are no better. For this reason and despite being literally 40x the cost per cup, I source plastic free, biodegradable cups and lids (BPI certified) that are manufactured in the USA. My cups degrade within 60-90 days according to their BPI certification and are materially less per cup, approximately 1.2 grams less. I’m working towards all my labeling to match.

Not at this time, for two reasons. It’s important to me that the delivery be consistent and dosed accurately. If you want 30mg, you’ll get just about 30mg. I cannot guarantee the results whereas with the k-cup every cup is nearly identical in delivery.

Yes I am working towards this currently (requires $$$) and should be able to offer decaf, medium, light and espresso roasts along with the dark roast in the future.

7 Likes

I want to say how impressed I am with your responses to everyone’s posts and your overall attitude. Along with the outstanding R&D you must have done to make such a product. You rock!

I can see you having great success.

:+1: :+1:

3 Likes

HELL yeah i was hoping you’d say that. thanks for nailing all my questions, i second Ralf’s response above, this is extremely well thought through and presented, i think you may just sell the fuck out of these

2 Likes

I used an Aeropress in my evaluation. The key is sub 195 degree water. The grounds are stirred with a paddle and it is pressed through filter paper after 6 minutes. It’s a tight cup.

EDIT: You jerks gave me a trial by fire and @tokesandtinkery gets a MF coronation. I’m going to give all a y’all close ass hugs after I’ve been hovering over the pre-dinner pickle dish for the last hour.

I hope you can taste my breath. Use your teeth as a filter.

4 Likes

by that do you mean key to extraction of cannabinoid goodies, flavor, both? def appropriate brewing temp for a dark roast

3 Likes

CBDa has a high decarb temperature. I also mixed it with milk for the best absorption. I know for a fact that coffee tastes burnt over 200 degrees brewing temperature.

While I felt relief after an hour, the best was 3 hours in. Is that sugar/fat/milk/liver enzmes? I dunno.

lets-do-it-iv2ex7

3 Likes

@tokesandtinkery asked me to an Aeropress. Today we will be doing “Energetic Jane” 22mg CBD, 8 mg THCv.

Warm your water up to 190-195 and pre-wet your filter paper.

Yes, they look and smell like finely ground coffee. Coffee was shaken from the cup inner filter into the Aeropress.

Slowly add your water in a swirly fashion. It is paddle stirred for 2 minutes to infuse all goodness.

Put the lid on and press.

The CBD/THCv in Energetic Jane is good, positive energy and synergystic. (Which is a nice surprise after some bad THVc here on Future). Perhaps adding 1 mg of THC would bring the CBD/THCv/coffee all together? I’ve got 1 speed and that’s “GO”. Energetic Jane is a great way to start my day.

8 Likes

I tried Original Jane yesterday at 2:30 pm as a pick me up. Woo doggy. I have zero tolerance in my old age, so 30 mg knocked me on my butt. What did I expect?

You could do the “Boomer Blend” with 5-10 mg. :rofl:

4 Likes

I had a guy green out on two cups back to back, the guy was literally sitting with his mouth open after 30 minutes.

I notice with original jane 1 cup will not get me not get me intoxicated, mostly I feel relaxed and a nice body/relief sensation. If I smoke on top of it I will get fucked up pretty fast and its about the only way I can tolerate getting high with smoking, otherwise I gotta smoke way too much to get the effect and it kills my lungs. I will take two cups back to back when I’m in a lot of pain but the effect can be overwhelming, I’m currently working on finding a better formulation for stronger pain relief. Thinking something like CBD Full spec + CBDa added to the formulation, ill be making some to test.

I like the idea of lower dose cups, can certainly do that. Also thinking it’ll be beneficial for added CBD full spectrum to the original jane. Might have to do a private testing and see what people respond to.

4 Likes

@Dred_pirate y’all should totes split a machine for the manufacturing of these. It’s a match made in heaven

3 Likes

One cool thing, I think, with this system is I am able to readily test cannabinoids individually. Hoping to find the combination that alleviates just right.

Might do some CBT:CBL and THCp cups next.

Thanks to @Tre_HoneyGold for the noids for testing.

2 Likes

No problem man, glad I could help! Keep crushing it!

2 Likes

Question: If you open the cup to brew externally (non-Keurig methods), what active % may get stuck in the cloth filter?

(This is a non-question if the original coffee/TAC is properly homogenized. I have had 0 issues so far, BTW)

1 Like