Breaking Bad Coffee Maker

Anyone else want to recreate the Breaking Bad coffee maker setup?

Attached a pic with what I think some parts of the setup may be. What are the stainless vessels? Filter, Compressor, Steam generator, roaster, Idunno :man_shrugging:t4:

All ideas welcome. Let’s make one!

20 Likes

Chemex with a proper pour over does it for me when I’m not coherent at 4:30 in the morning trying to start choring.

MFFT: Mother F*ckin Farmer Time

10 Likes

I love the rubber stopper thing in the bottom of the wiper lol. I would make fun of it more if it wasn’t something that I would plausibly do in a pinch

Edit: someone also needs to joke about summit having one that makes the coffee 30x as fast

12 Likes

Hahaha right and right!

The evap looks like where the coffee beans are. So… water in the boiling flask, evaporate up the allihn condenser, drip into the evap containing the coffee grounds, collect the coffee “crude” :rofl: … then what? Purifying the coffee solution would be my best guess for post “first collection”.

1 Like

Well he did come up with the idea for coffee in a complete vaccuum after being unable to sleep after drinking too much…coffee

2 Likes

I think you have too much fair that this was not “engineered” by a guy who normally works up the rubber octopus attacking the submarine

3 Likes

:rofl::100::100::man_facepalming:t4: ahaha

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to make something that can carbonate/nitro charge coffee with CLS parts. You can get sanitary brewing kettles for a decent price online from the brewery spots, or put a chiller that has some spare time to use to keep a cold brew going under vacuum/inert

Add in some staged filtration and the fittings to push with nitrogen plus a pour spout, and you’ve got a needlessly complex coffee maker that you can control almost every variable of

6 Likes

Hell yeah! A nitro setup would be ideal!! :+1:t4: Could definitely introduce nitrogen. Stainless would have to be the route, agreed.

1 Like

here’s a quick and dirty P&ID less the nitrogen stuff

2 Likes

The breaking bad coffee maker actually makes terrible coffee,

If you are interested in a coffee extraction that is truly sophisticated and can be DIY produced via a sep funnel, a BĂĽchner flask and some knowledge of percolation- look into Yama style slow drip coffee.

It’s a form of cold brew that is made via percolation- that is- a Chinese torture style drop by drop saturation of the mark and yields a completely different product from traditional cold brews

Yama cold brew is like champagne while traditional steeped cold brews are more like port or sherry.

Recreating gales rig will likely not yield anything at all that could be considered coffee

14 Likes

Which one can already see by inspecting the setup, which is connected in a way that totally doesn’t make any sense. Starts with the bottom left - vac outlet of the suction flask is connected to the cooling water side of the condenser above it.

That thing does fuck all

1 Like

Hell yeah, going to try this! @Rowan comimg through with the W.

I’ve done a small siphon style Buchner distill…nothing special.

btw that “distillation head” is just a fixed volume measuring device (much like a pipette) and the supposed “wiped film evaporator” is nothing but a silvered distillation column. then on the far right, to top it all off, that “chromatography column” is a standard dropping funnel.

2 Likes

:+1:t4: Cool

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s a movie prop :rofl:
Doesn’t mean we can’t make something dope that may actually work. Trying to make something dope for my guys in the break room alright. And possibly have some fire coffee too. :100:

That’s the best use of a spare wiper body that I have ever seen!

1 Like

Welcome back @Rowan!

10 Likes

While we touch this subject of refining coffee. I was in a Chem lab supply store a while back. I had struck a conversation with the guys there about adsorbents the beginning stages of crc days. The guys dad was old as hell and he went on about a professor he had way back when. This dude was f00king old, too. If he had a professor at the age of 20, it would have been at least more than 60 years ago. I would be surprised if he was younger than 80. But. His professor used start the lecture with pouring his coffee over some form of filter bed/column. And his coffee would come out clear and have zero color. There’s a method to use agar to polish the coffee, but it doesn’t quite make it clear. I also stumbled upon a company that is making a clear coffee now

11 Likes

I wonder if that reduced or increased the acidity. I don’t want clear coffee, that sounds gross, but I do want to know more about it!

1 Like