Let's all get sippin on some bold ideas to grow coffee hydroponically šŸ™

As the inflation continues to ravage the world and the industries that bring the commodities to the consumer are being effected as well. This means that supply chains get hit as the demand grows. This can be great for small town coffee shop owners that grow their own coffee on site as well as the very very little guy that just wants to continue drinking an amazing cup of coffee in the morning.

This is where I would like your help forum. Not to make a business plan or to sell a future4200 coffee brand coffee at an amazing price and a constant half off discount to the glgā€¦
BUTā€¦ To ask for the forums help in getting started on how I would go about growing coffee hydroponically.

Like does anyone here already have any expereince and knowledge they would like to drop? Any youtubers that know thier shit or streamers that know a thing or two about it. Maybe even some books that some of you already know about.

Whattya all say; Letā€™s get sippin on some bold ideas to grow coffee hydroponically!!!

11 Likes

I dunno much about much, but thinking organic soil would yield superior results. Gotta remember weā€™re looking at a shrub/tree, which may not be well suited for hydro.

I think it would be cool to see some little coffee house/greenhouse businesses roasting local beans.

7 Likes

How much coffee do you use in a year. Lbs and $$$ wise

3 Likes

Iā€™m in, that Jamaican bean is like 75$ a lb

The monkey poo coffee Kopi luwak is the most expensive, ironically it tastes like poop

3 Likes

Between the coffee shop stops yerbies and various caffeine suppments required to keep a company going Iā€™m sure plenty of us are in the thousands of dollars per year range

2 Likes

Before I bought an espresso machine, I was spending a minimum of 5$ a day on coffee, now I can have as many as I want and still save money opposed to buying a 5$ coffeeā€¦

6 Likes

coffee takes a long time to be able to harvest. 3-4 yrs from seed. i think your best bet would be a massive rdwc system, and youd need to rig up some pulleys or something so you could lift the trees when you need to deal with roots or clean or whatever. it would be tough, but i think it could be done. the real question is will it be worth your time and effort

4 Likes

As @BigM said , living organic soil, that is mineral rich(I add 4-5 cups per cubic foot of mineralsā€¦glacial rock dust, basalt dust, oyster shell flour, gypsum, and sometimes azomite)
I mean, if youā€™re going to be growing indoor plants native to South Americaā€¦

6 Likes

A lot. Iā€™m also an ex stimulant and dissociative addict and quit cold turkey. I drink a little under 2L a day. I drink about a gallon of water a day tooā€¦

I didnā€™t used to drink this much coffeeā€¦ Or at least I donā€™t think I used toā€¦ Maybe I did and just didnā€™t realize it but I also love chocolate and Iā€™m literally addicted to Kinder Bueno. ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m super about itā€¦ Thereā€™s some craft coffee spots that are selling Geisha for $200/lb.

2 Likes

This guy has been waiting eight years for you to wander by and ask thatā€¦

11 Likes

Heā€™s probably fist pumping the air right now

FINALLY!

2 Likes

Kinder Bueno are a favorite of mine along with coffee. I drink a lot of coffee depending on the day. Helps with my sweet tooth and keeps me focused.

Coffee is one of my favorite things. Helped me quit drinking soda, have only had 1-2 sodas in the past 2 months. Substituted with water, coffee, lemonade, tea occasionally, and gatorade for work. Helped with my sweet tooth more than anything.

2 Likes

Gatorade and coke have about the same sugar contentā€¦

Instead of trying to grow coffee indoors youā€™d probably be better off securitizing 1-3years of usage, buying in bulk and storing the beans.

3 Likes

You couldbuy in bulk buy thatā€™s also sacrificing freshness if youā€™re not willing to sacrifice more time and money to make sure you donā€™t end up with spoiled coffee. Then you gotta make sure you got the right storage and stuff. I read itā€™s best to have at max 2lbs of your favorite coffee so you donā€™t end up having too much around.

Also mold concerns Iā€™m guessing if you improperly store itā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s the ingredients I look at. Iā€™m in the Florida sun about 8-10 hours near daily pushing heavy weight so the carbs from it helps me out with the occasional light snack and water in between.

Coffee in the heat doesnā€™t mix well

I buy bulk beans and drink that. Coffee from Costco, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. Costco coffee goes first and the rarer/expensive coffee last.

1 Like

iono man coffee ā€˜can growā€™ outside of the Tropics but yields will be paltry, as will quality. i know it says ā€˜HUGE harvestā€™ but the beans in that guyā€™s hand above, once the fruit is removed and itā€™s roasted, will maybe make a cup? maybe? One tree (grown in the zones it actually likes) will produce about 1lb of coffee a year, and it takes almost 10 years for a coffee tree to get to that pointā€¦

maybe itā€™s possible, ie im sure it could be figured out (after all we grow cannabis outside of its natural zones all day) but even for personal use the opex and capex would be insane for the relatively small return. climate change is already affecting it as a commodity and market and it will become catastrophic to it eventually, so i see the reason for the ideaā€“but, by the time you get past that 10 year mark i suspect we will be worried about bigger issues than this

i really, really donā€™t like saying any of this, as I like the spirit of the OP! im usually more optimistic, this is a rare case where i am not.

4 Likes

IMO Coffee is like cannabis - easy to grow and process and use, but hard to make perfect.
However Coffee is legal so you can enjoy commodity prices, low cost production etc so youā€™re getting a great deal.
Cannabis is still highly regulated so DIY is much more attractive than it is for coffee.
That said, I have grown coffee plants and coffee plants grow wild where I live - it would take a long time to harvest and process the amount of coffee I go through!

4 Likes

I was going to say almost the same thing lol

Coffee and cannabis go hand in hand

1 Like