Help Me Clean My Flask

Base bath. Be careful though.

3 Likes

It’s not exactly the same, but when I couldn’t get the stains off my wiper evaporator, I used to soak it in limonene.

2 Likes

AlcoJet might work too, it’s really basic though so be careful, like @NewLevelProcess says.

3 Likes

acetone works well

Acetone has been tried

1 Like

this one has come up a couple or ten times…and there are some great solutions (including piranha) offered.

If you haven’t explored them all, I highly (:shushing_face:) recommend doing so.

Don’t try this one at home…

3 Likes

Works wonders

14 Likes

that’s the one I was looking for.
I remember it from another thread but could not remember the name for the life of me.

thank you!

2 Likes

No worries at all my friend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Soak it in a base bath (8M NaOH) or acid bath (70% nitric acid) in a fumehood. Leave it overnight. Rinse with several volumes of water. Then try your organic solvents again.

1 Like

Do you have access to a sonicator? Usually helps with stubborn grime on our parts.

1 Like

No I sold it using @RuderEquipment

2 Likes

Alconox. Alcojet is the low foam version for use in dishwashers.

3 Likes

I use a bunch of quartz or stainless beads to help when I’m scrubbing a nasty residue off.

https://www.amazon.com/QCQIANG-Precision-Assortment-Bicycles-Refrigerators/dp/B09DJY8FL8/

Yeah, I was thinking another alconox product, Keylajet. I’ve used keylajet before but it’s very basic

That sounds like a direct ketamine delivery system

2 Likes

We’ve had luck before with a 50/50 mix of water and solvent (we use ethanol), put a steel wool pad inside the glass with the mixture, plug the holes with anything from your hands to paper towels. Then swirl that around by hand for better control. If you can get the solvent mixture a little warm that will help too. Cleaning with the stir bar might work in this scenario but I highly recommend agitating by hand to ensure the steel wool and solvent mixture is making adequate contact with the stain. Good luck!

this works wonders, don’t leave it soaking for too long though - it works by slightly etching the glass surface.

2 Likes

Right, good to mention that this will weld sintered glass shut and can eat away at important delicate structures in glass. Otherwise base blast it.

2 Likes

Along the lines of aqua regia, this is another “at your own risk” option (that I do not suggest, but is sold by a reputable scientific supply company):

1 Like