So I burnt the crude in my spd and GROSS

Ventilation and ozium . Been there . Fresh air is your best friend

1 Like

Sorry I was referring to from the glassware, no head temp because I am using a summit head and a key in it, hitting mains at 187 in the boiling flask at 300ish microns but turned it up to 190 just to be safe on because the high reading, but got to 200 halfway through mains, my vacuum connections are gl14s as well

The events that happened to the smoking of crude. decarbed at 130c for 60 mins decided to wrap up for the day and broke vacuum, pretty fast. Get in the next day and pull a full vac. BOOM smoking.

was it winterized crude?

1 Like

Did not see any wax’s precipitate when chilled at -22 for over 24 hours and was filtered

1 Like

Sounds like you extracted with alcohol.

Winterizing will not solve this problem

This is my “burnt” SPD cleaning SOP

1. Warm boiling flask in mantle to about 80c
  2. Add a citrus based surfactant to the boiling flask and soak for 1hr.
  3. Scrub boiling flask with a good beaker brush
  4. Repeat 1-3
  5. Clean and rinse with isopropyl

Or if you have a sonicator

1. Submerge glassware in a citrus based surfactant and sonicate for 1-3 hours at 80c
  2. Rinse with isopropyl
1 Like

Bleach is my go-to when things are stanky. Oxidizes the smelly compounds. The oxidized compounds typically smell less bad but not always

be careful using a sonicator with glassware that is meant for distillation, the sonic waves can create micro fractures in the glass. A previous vacuum jacketed distillation head that I had lost its vacuum from those fractures.

4 Likes

What companies glass? If you don’t mind me asking

It was my old 2L Lab Society head, I could still distill with it, I dont think that the fractures caused any substantial weakening of the vacuum (though maybe after prolonged use it might?) but the head began floating in water instead of sinking to the bottom, so I knew something was up. Mr. Summit man mentioned this also, I’m just being extra careful with our distillation equipment now, still use the sonicator for other glassware though.

1 Like

Have you seen a decrease in efficiency? If the jacket now has air in it you would expect it to insulate differently

This is not remotely cold enough. Needs to be atleast -40C. On top of that if your using alcohol you probably had it to diluted. Did you wash And then go straight to winterizing? You have to remove a solid amount of ethanol after soaking before going to winterizing or it’s going to be way to diluted to precipitate fats even if you were cold enough.

@Siosis
It was diluted 8:1 and I have seen room temp 190 proof precipitate fats, in bho, but maybe I should of gone colder

Then that Shit was absolutely LOADED with fats. They will precipitate out at -22. But you’ll leave more then enough behind to burn and funk up the shit out of your short path as well. When I say winterization I’m looking for a full removal of fats/waxes as possible

6 Likes

Doing a cryo winterization tomorrow on some of the same batch crude, we’ll see if anything in present

I’ve been warned against vacuum jacketed glass pieces in a sonicator, but does that apply to the other glass aswell that isnt jacketed?

I think that the vacuum weakened slowly over time, The efficiency definitely went down, but it happened incrementally so it was a bit hard to notice.

I would guess that it applies to all glassware, but I could see it being really only detrimental to vacuum jacketed things. I am not sure though, maybe someone else can chime in

Sounds like a vacuum pump issue. I’m sure Elliot will replace it.

1 Like

I hate to break it to you, but from a smell perspective you’re pretty screwed.

Air it out, move FRESH air into and out of the lab space.

Remove all components that have stank and clean, clean, clean.